Anyone want to sell me a boxspring?

Mods: I figure if this would fit in any forum, it would be MPSIMS. If this post is inappropriate for this board, please feel free to remove it.

In the beginning of August, I moved into a 100-year-old rowhouse in Baltimore. They built things on houses smaller back then, and my queen-size boxspring absolutely refuses to go upstairs, creating the need for me to buy a split boxspring.

I’ve tried Craigslist for the past month to no avail. Any responses I get all seem to flake out on me. I don’t want to buy from a mattress store because I know they’ll charge me an arm and a leg.

So, I’m in need of a queen-sized split boxspring. Anyone in my area have a spare? I’ll pick up, of course… I’m looking on spending anywhere from $50 to $100 depending on condition.

Thanks.

I think this belongs in the Barn House forum.

I have had a similar problem twice. Once we solved it by removing the window sashes and hoisting the BS through that way. Those old houses tend to have tall windows. Oh yeah we were all referring to the box springs as BS before we were done. IE: “Can someone get a rope around that BS” and “OK Don’t let the BS hit the siding”

The second time I removed the dust cover from the bottom of the box springs then cut the 1 X 6 frame in the center at the sides of the bed to one side of the internal bracing (if you have any). This allowed enough flex to get the thing around the corner in the stairwell. We spliced the BS back together with ¾” plywood and drywall screws. Them stapled the dust cover back on. Really it was a total PITA but we couldn’t find anyone that carried a queen sized BS in two pieces locally.

Well whadda ya know. A cursory look around turns up this:

Seems like pretty decent instructions but a few points.

1. You don’t really have to fold it all the way in half. Just carry it to the stairs and flex it enough to make the corner.
  2. If you have a stapler then removing the bottom cover and restapling it is better.
  3. You WILL need to splice the pieces back together before you use the BS. If you don’t it will eventually collapse. We used ¾ plywood because we had it but metalplates installed correctly should work also. Opal has nothing to do with this step. Well unless she is bouncing especially vigorously on the bed.
  4. Really it might be worth the price to just buy a split set.