AOC's "Green New Deal" pipe dream

The rails are already there, currently used mostly for freight. Many of the old passenger train stations still exist. The high speed locomotives and passenger cars would need to be procured.

Freight trains are, as you hopefully know, the most environmentally responsible way to transport goods. Current rules give them priority over passenger trains. Hard to see how that could continue to be true with a massive increase in use for passengers (which I would support BTW: I love Amtrak). I just don’t think your plan to simply pile all these trains on the extant tracks is going to work. Not to mention that there are lots of places in the middle of the country that are inconveniently far away from any train tracks.

Whatever, “over a century”, since the Industrial Revolution began. More than just “decades”, is my point.

An old article (06/2017) that I’m sure has been posted in some thread:

Why don’t Christian conservatives worry about climate change? God.

A key bloc of Trump’s supporters think solving the problem is out of human hands.

See? We don’t need to bury our heads in the sand. No. We just need to look up to heaven! :smack:

It gets better:

Reject the Antichrist! Only Trump can save the world! :eek:

Yeah, that relates to me (a hardcore atheist and fierce opponent of Trump) real well. :rolleyes:

I wasn’t referring to you, specifically, but commenting on certain people who don’t think immediate action is needed. Particularly, those who think God will fix it, so why worry about it. Those are the people you should roll your eyes at.

Then why did you quote a post attacking me very specifically, including the part about how my kids “will curse [my] name”? :dubious:

My bad. The “bury your head in the sand” part caught my eye and reminded me of the article about how God is going to fix climate change. I don’t think a person could bury their head any further. Although, it’s probably more accurate to say they have their heads buried up Trump’s ass.

Fair enough.

More than fair, really.

dasmoocher compares you to idiots who have faith in an authority (however moronically interpreted or poorly referenced or ahistorically understood) outside of themselves. You, on the other hand, only evidence faith in your own moronic, poor and ahistoric understanding.

You’re being given slack you can’t earn by a username and poorly reasoned posts.

Be more grateful to accidental allies, dumbass.

Xenophon apparently can’t see the irony in those comments, directed at someone who is almost certainly to the left of the median voter on environmental issues. Maybe, as I already suggested to BPC, s/he should consider reevaluating who does or does not qualify as an environmental “ally”. As Mark Shields is fond of saying, effective politics involves expanding one’s tent and seeking converts, rather than looking to denounce and expel apostates. :dubious:

Nah, you are not an apostate, just a bit ignorant. Again, although you do get very upset, what I have seen from your posts is that you are not relying on what scientists and sources that environmental allies are using nowadays. You really look like if you are constantly falling for fake science and fake “middle of the road” talking points similar from the ones coming from “graduates” of Prager “University”.

An investigation of Bjorn Lomborg’s claims.

Spoiler alert: His claims are shitty.

I think the right way to address AGW is through “pull” not “push”. Let’s have a moon shot that addresses better batteries to store power when wind and solar are not providing enough power for the demand, new nuclear power designs that are fail-safe, and increased solar cell efficiencies. Back that up with making a better electric grid so we can distribute the power.

When green energy is cheaper than carbon-based energy people will use it. It’s like electric cars: they used to be glorified golf carts now they are the quickest cars on the road. Electric motors have full torque at low speeds, so are ideal for pickups and other trucks. It won’t be long until the bubbas are bragging about pulling stumps with their electric pickup trucks.

We can do this in the same way that Trump pulled in his support. Make America the THE LEADER in green technology. The first, the best, the innovators. Tell them we are going t make Saudi Arabia’s oil reserves worthless.

Telling people we are going to tax the hell out of gasoline isn’t going to build support.

Oh good, you’re back to “Hey I’m on your side really” as a defense.

You’ve stated that you’re a racist, that you don’t believe that climate change is a big deal, that colonialism wasn’t really that bad and that universal healthcare cannot work in America. I think people can decide for themselves whether you’re an “ally” or not.

Zat so? How about this claim?

ETA: Batano, agree with most of that.

One distortion, one flat out lie, the rest is wildly exaggerated. Basically, a whole lot of bullshit.

“You’ve stated that you’re a racist”

“you don’t believe that climate change is a big deal”

“colonialism wasn’t really that bad”

“universal healthcare cannot work in America”

Now this is like debating by staw men. That was not the most important claim that science writer Peter Hadfielf (aka Potholer54) dealt with in the cited video.

And now you seem to have an attachment to defenda sorry guy like Lomborg, (confirming who your sources are).

You seem to not be aware that contrarians do the ‘blind squirrel finding a nut’ act to mislead guys like you. IOW, seen that before from him.

Let’s look at the sentence you quoted in context:

Said presidents being Obama, Grant, and LBJ. :dubious:

But as I said, only one flat out lie. Here it is:

Ahem.

I’ll be over here holding my breath awaiting your retraction. :rolleyes:

That you still believe any of this excuses your racism shows how profoundly ignorant you are of what racism actually is, and how and why it’s harmful.

That’s it: the gay Scandinavian vegetarian who wants to end fossil fuel subsidies is the REAL enemy! :smack: Never mind all those fatcats in Texas and Oklahoma: you’ve got apostasy to root out, so your faction can be pure as the driven snow. Never mind if that might make it something less than a majority coalition: you can be smug in your moral superiority, above reproach and above the fray, while others actually run everything.