AOL question: copying e-mail addresses

It would sure be convenient if I could highlight the list of unwanted e-mail addresses displayed on my AOL filing cabinet old mail page, and use the usual Windows copy-paste method to transfer them to the “block these addresses” list.

Lo and behold, what I see on the screen apparently is an illusion, as it cannot be copied. Even when I try to copy into, say, Word, all I get is a blank space.

So what can I do? Can I use “print scrn,” for example, to print to a file, then import into a text document, then copy back into the “block it” list? Or something?

And–any way to broaden the column that shows the e-mail addresses so it shows the entirety of the address?

Is there a rationale behind AOL’s making this so difficult? (I’m trying not to have to do this one message at a time–AND I’d rather not risk infection by having to OPEN each message!)

And–if only I could block anything with the word PENIS in the title line…

I can’t really help you since what you’re asking doesn’t seem possible, unfortunately, but if they’re already in your old mail folder, you’ve already opened them (unless 8.0 has some new feature I don’t know about), so how would opening them a second time infect anything?

IMO aol makes it difficult because they want us to get junk-mail. It would not surprise me in the least if it comes out some day that they were turning a blind eye to spamming for money.

I wouldn’t be surprised at that considering how poorly AOL has done lately.

“…if they’re already in your old mail folder, you’ve already opened them…”

Maybe I should have said “deleted mail.” It’s where things go when you delete them, until you “remove” them permanently. None of them has been opened.

So–folks–what’s preventing me from copying words that I’m seeing on the screen?

Can the text be highlighted at all? Some programs I use (like trillian or Xircon) you have to highlight the text, keep the text highlighted by keeping your mouse button held down, and at the same time precc “CTRL+C” to copy. Conversely, if you do that within another program (say Word or even right here in IE) you get NOTHING when pasting after copying while holding the mouse button down. Gets kind of consufing after a long day :slight_smile:

I don’t have AOL so I can’t give any experienced help, but maybe that may help.

You can’t highlight more than one line at a time (say you have 40 e-mails in your in box, you can only highlight one, and then it’s only the entire line, which can’t be copied and pasted. :rolleyes:

Can’t copy what ain’t yours.

Have to open each email and C&P the addresses into a new file, this can be done pretty quickly with a little forethought on key strokes. Then the new file can be C&P’ed in total if you want. IMO, it is easier to open multiple windows and add them direct but there is really no 3-4 click method to do it in mass.

Remember, if the emails are not saved in your PFC, the list you see is from AOHell and they won’t let you mess with email that is still in VA. That is why AOHell is one of the safest email systems, you do not have to let the mail even leave VA to delete it. Makes getting infected real hard. So, the 10 seconds a session to delete the SPAM is no big deal to me. I am grinning every time I do it…

Actually AOL has a history of suing people for spamming AOL members. Cite. Google on “AOL Sues Spammers” and you will find a bunch of links. Also, when I worked in the NOC at AOL they had a station called SETI that dealt with spam. The SETI station would kill some spam before the members saw it. I never found out exactly how the SETI people dealt with the spam and I dated a SETI team member for over a year. The SETI team was a big secret.

I also dealt with rolling in code that would disable spambots. For example, a bunch of spambots would open an AOL chat room, copy and paste the screen names into a text file and then open another chat room. Lather, rinse, repeat and bing, spammers have a huge list of people to spam. AOL put in code that would limit the number of chat rooms that a member could enter per minute. If the member entered too many chat rooms too quickly that members account was locked out of chat rooms for a half hour. The first version of that code had a flaw which I had to deal with but the second version worked perfectly.

As far as the OP goes, find a macro program. You can get a free trial macro program from www.wintools.com.

Slee

If you are using the Mail Controls blocking section you must add each address or domain individually. I tried to paste a list and it ran the addresses together into one really long entry. The software closes all spaces and does not allow commas.

Thanks for the feedback.

I still don’t get “you can’t copy what ain’t yours.” It’s not like I’m stealing something–it’s on my screen; I can see it there; and in fact I CAN highlight it, but not C&P.

Just for my enlightenment, what is lacking with the stuff on my AOL “you’ve got mail” screen that is present everywhere else (like when I actually open up the email)?

And what about capturing it with some sort of “print screen” approach?

SLEESTAK, if AOL is so concerned–why don’t they make it EASY to block particular addresses with a highlight and a click?

Just askin’.

No one has suggested it to them in a reasonable manner yet? :smack:

You mean Time-Warner-AOL-ExLax doesn’t maintain a large staff of Imagineers charged with dreaming up ways to make their product even more perfect than it already is?

uh, because what you’re looking at when you see the deleted messages isn’t what everyone thinks you’re talking about. Not entirely sure if you’re doing what I think you’re doing, but you CAN’T highlight your emails, but you can select em. There’s a difference, you can click the email, but that will select the entire thing, the sender, subject, date and time (I think). Double-clicking opens it, right? To copy and paste something, you need to be able to drag the mouse across half the word, and hit copy, and have it only copy the part you’ve now highlighted. That’s not useful for AOL’s purposes, because they’d rather you click an email once to select it (so you can across all the fields pertaining to that email) and then once more to open it. That’s more important to me than, say, being able to select the address directly out of the deleted mail box.