Apartment In NYC For $29.6 Million: I Would Buy It Today If I Had The Money!

OK, some might say that is a tad high to pay for a 5,100 square foot apartment.
However, take a look at the link. If I had won the lottery, this would be my splurge.

For anyone who lives in NYC, or has lived in NYC, this has everything.

First of all, it is in the Dakota - one of the most famous buildings in all of Manhattan.
Tell someone you live at the Dakota and you can impress the socks off even the most jaded New Yorker.
Not only is the building in a perfect location, on Central Park, but it is a historical gem.
The building is gorgeous, the apartments are kept in tip-top shape and even walking by it reeks of elegance.
This list of famous people who have lived there and still do live there reads like a mini “Who’s Who” of Manhattan.
Yoko Ono still lives there - this south entrance was the site of John Lennon’s murder as he and Yoko were coming home that fateful night.

Yes $29.6 million is a bit pricey for an apartment - but this is one of those rare exceptions where I would say “SOLD!” if only I had a few more bucks in my account.

You still have to be approved by the co-op board.

My favorite Dakota story is from the night John Lennon was shot: all the mourning fans were outside crying and singing Beatles songs, and around 3:00 a.m., Lauren Bacall leaned out her window and bellowed, “don’t you people have homes?!

(I understand the Dakota is badly maintained and falling apart, but of course you can say that about *most *apts. in New York)

I find that kind of surprising, considering Yoko alone has the moneyofgod and could have the entire building renovated with change she finds behind the sofa.

However, that does beg the question - I wonder what the monthly maintenance fees are for that apartment? Then again, if you have to ask you probably can’t afford it and the co-op board probably would deny you right off the bat for asking.

Nope.200 Eleventh Ave - their apartments each have their own parking place, as part of the apartment. If you get on one side of the building, you have an incredible view of the riverside. I really like PH1. Costs much less than the Dakota, and is brand new. I think they are running something like 12 million each.

Though I really don’t like the idea of living in NYC, this would be nice. I could have 2 spare bedrooms, and I am willing to bet that the concierge service knows a good maid service, and I could have an account with US Foodservice for food delivery.

And just think, if you did more renovations you might find more historic “treasures” like that old Fresca can.

Maybe a bottle of Tab, unopened, to be saved for that ultra-special occasion.

Are smoking and pets okay? Because I’m not moving there without my silverback, and he loves his cigars. It’s really a hard prerequisite, because at 801 pounds, there’s really no negotiation to be had.

“I have $30 million to spend on the place.”

“Congratulations, you’re in.”

Oh I dunno, if it was someone like Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton, they might not approve.

Why do they call them apartments and not condos? Wouldn’t it be a condo if you buy the place? Apartments are for renting, condos are for buying.

Condos are for buying, but co-ops are a different animal. In a co-op, you don’t own the apartment per se, you own shares in the corporation that owns the building. The number of your shares are in direct proportion the the square footage of your unit.

Co-ops

Condos

$30 million? You’d probably have to pay me that to get me to live in New York.

. . . as well as most New Yorkers. :wink:

There was, featured on the cover of New York Magazine some years ago, an all white apartment with glass walls, on top of a skyscraper, so high up it was in the clouds (well, low clouds) and low flying airplane pilots could wave at the occupants. A family of three lived there with a dachshund. I think that was the picture on the cover of the magazine, a little dog on a white couch. How awesome THAT place must be to live in.

That’s lovely, but if I lived there I’d take that waste of space on the living room wall, hang a huge screen, and turn the living room into a home theater. Ok, well, my husband would, since he’s the techie.

I saw Rosemary’s Baby in the theater not too long ago. I’d seen it before several times growing up, but it was fantastic to see again on the BIG screen. I had thought it was filmed in the Dakota and while it’s a great movie, I found myself spending a lot of time drooling over their apartment. What’s funny is that in the movie the place is supposed to be a bit rundown, and have cheap rents. When they move in at the beginning of the film, Guy (John Cassavetes) is a struggling and often out-of-work actor, and Rosemary (Mia Farrow) is a housewife. As it turns out, according to Wikipedia, only the exteriors were filmed there. Ah well. It’s still a great apartment, wherever it was filmed.

I personally could never ever live in something like that. There’s way too much light and exposure. It amazes me while walking down residential streets or looking out while riding the L how many apartments seem inhabited by exhibitionists. They either have no curtains or sheer curtains, and rarely any window shades. I don’t understand apartments that don’t allow any privacy. Besides not wanting people to look into our apartment, we like it dark for watching movies anytime day or night. When we first moved into our current apartment, one of the first things we did was, using plywood, thick heavy black plastic sheeting and heavy-backed curtains, permanently seal/block the windows facing the street in the living room before hanging our 7’x4’ home theater screen in front of those windows. Every now and then I wonder if anyone across the street wonders what the deal with this apartment is. For the last 7 years they will have never seen a speck of light coming from our living room at night. There aren’t any other windows in the place that anyone could see into. Windows that directly face windows of the apartments on either side open from the top, and we have the bottoms covered. Not that we would, but if we wanted we could walk around naked with all the windows open (except the living room) and no one could ever see into our apartment.

200 Eleventh would almost make me change my mind about living in NYC. Given my choice, I’d live on one of the upper floors and have the windows lightly silvered. Unless someong in a lower loft has a good pair of binoculars and we have the light on high, nobody will see anything inside. I don’t care about the police helicopters. :wink:

It looks like it will be a rather vibrant, developing neighborhood, and I freaking love the garage. I’d have to donate millions to the Democrats to counter the evil karma, but it would be worth it. Now where did I put that lottery ticket…?

For local places, I’m kinda partial to this place.

Of course, for my own preferences, I wouldn’t buy a place this expensive unless my net worth was over $100 million.

There are better places to spend $30m on. In fact, there are about 30 places.

Ehhhhh…no thanks. I mean, if I had a billion dollars, then sure - I might drop that change. But otherwise? No.

When I hear this kind of thing, I always wonder: why don’t developers and architects take note and simply build more places in this style?? Yes, yes - any new place wouldn’t have the history, the panache, the location, etc. But people really seem to like those grand, beautiful, old-style buildings.

You can’t own that apartment and not regularly invite a few of your closest friends over for a group shower.