Apocalyptic Songs

Since I started this thread, I’ll add one more suggestion. It’s a Dutch song, but very popular in Holland. Nice and raggae-y. It’s from the end of the Cold War era (as you can easily tell from the video).

Doe Maar - De Bom

Translated lyrics:

Making a carreer for yourself (before the bomb drops)
Working for the future (before the bomb drops)
I speed through my agenda (before the bomb drops)
Safely in social health care (before the bomb drops)

And when the bomb drops
I lie in my neat suit, carrying my diplomas and cheques
My (insurance) policy and vocabulary
Beneath the city buildings, next to you

Bad Moon Rising, CCR.

This is fun. Who doesn’t love a good apocalypse? sigh

Miserabile Visu (Ex Malo Bonum) - Anberlin. An epic song about Revelation that would still be in the Modern Rock genre were it not for a short guitar solo. While it’s not exactly party music, it’s pretty far from depressing.

The Yankovic one? I love Yankovic, but can’t find any Yankovic songs on this list… Were you referring to my suggestion? That’s Jonathan Coulton.

You should throw “We didn’t start the Fire” on there by Billy Joel just because it’s bouncy and fun and sorta fits with the theme.

Post-Apocalypse Punk by Abney Park.

I think that “Grace”, the last track of Ministry’s Psalm 69 CD is pretty apocalyptic.

And London Calling! One of their most famous songs!

took to long typing - scooped

I have always liked Silent Running by Mike and the Mechanics.

Wow, for these past 40 years I’ve always thought of that as a happy goofy tune about boats and sailing, never really listened to the lyrics before.

Chris De Burgh’s trilogy The Leader, The Vision and What about Me?

Then there’s The Devil’s Eye where Satan is calling from Hell.

The Yankovic one was “Christmas at Ground Zero” which is one of my all time favorites.

These are all more about nukes but still fit the general theme. And let’s go from good to not so good:

**Overkill **by Men at Work. Good song, nice vocals.

Sting’s I Hope the Russians Love Their Children Too. Ah, you can smell the 80’s with that one.

From the Police (Sting) Walking in Your Footsteps. Compares mankind’s inevitable march to destruction with that of the dinosaurs. Maudlin tripe.

Let’s Talk About It by Zappa’s far inferior progeny. Utter dreck.

War Pigs, by the mighty Black Sabbath. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTRMZk-l_VY

Hells Bells, AC/DC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg3a4IZNsbQ

And the 1930’s. Sting likes his dead Russians.

Muse - Apocalypse Please

Maybe also

Muse - Shrinking Universe

Can you please enlighten me about this ending of the song? It’s a collection of German prepositions, but it doesn’t make any sense. :confused:

Marilyn Manson - The last day on earth

What, “Armageddon” by Prism hasn’t shown up yet?

Or is this because I’m the only Canadian to chime in so far …