The check engine light was flashing; the engine was running rough.
I took the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe into the shop.
It took a while to diagnose, but apparently a mouse (or chipmunk or something) had got into the engine and chewed the wires on one of the fuel injector connectors. Apparently these aren’t typically stocked in North America, so they’re going to repair the wiring in the shop at one to two hours labour.
These guys also tried to talk me into replacing the spark plugs, because driving it for a few days without that cylinder firing is sure to have damaged the spark plug in that location (#5).
And apparently spark plug replacement on this car is not a DIY job: 2 - 3 hours labour for mechanic, according to them. I told them to leave the plugs alone for now (75K Kms on car). It doesn’t make sense to me that an unfiring plug would be damaged.
I have no reason to doubt that the mouse issue is for real: lucky me!
How does the rest of the story add up wrt labour and spark plug damage?