Archaic Beverages

actually, there’s a few versions of this …what you do is fill a shot glass with whiskey and a full mug of beer drop the full shot glass of whiskey into the mug, and down both at the same time the “Irish car bomb” is the same recipe but you light the Irish whiskey before you down it and the dr pepper shot is the same but its amaretto that you light up

Nowadays the coca-cola company gives Dennys cherry, orange and lime along with other flavors syrup to mix in with the coke and sprite in the summer one year they had a thing about “pineapple sprite” it wasn’t bad

ours served beer and wine but when the license came up they didn’t bother to renew it not many people remember it tho cause it was only a year or maybe two

‘True’ sarsaparilla is a Southeast Asian drink made from a tropical vine that is (if I recall correctly) related to the lily.

American sarsaparilla was originally made with birch oil and sassafras bark. Since sassafras oil is now known to be carcinogenic and is banned in food, they use artificial flavoring. It’s like root beer (and always was), but with spicier finish - at least to me, but then again most , if not all, root beers these days use artificial flavoring as well (same problem with sassafras). Honestly, of the group of similar sodas, I tend to prefer birch beers.

What’s referred to as a Suicide above was called a Bomb at my summer camp,

I started drinking Old Fashioneds after watching Mad Men. I make them with Canadian rye.

I loved phosphates when I was growing up. My favorites were lime and cherry. I think the last time I had one was around 1984, at a Bridgeman’s in St Paul. I can’t seem to find the drink anywhere nowadays.

The one place I know of in Toronto where you could get a malt was Bean and Baker, which closed during the pandemic. Damn! :angry: They also sold signature sodas (pop) that were on the same level as phosphates

Malts are easy to make at home if you have a blender. All you need are vanilla ice cream, whole milk, malted milk mix (Carnation, Horlicks, or Ovaltine) and whatever syrup or other additions you like. The thicker the finished malt, the better.

Your mention of switchel reminds me that I forgot to mention shrub, a somewhat similar combination of vinegar and fruit syrup with carbonated water (or the vinegared syrup itself used in such drinks, sometimes with alcohol added).

Though I’m not sure shrub really counts as “archaic” anymore, since it seems to have been enthusiastically rediscovered and there are commercial canned and bottled versions of it.

I make shrub by mixing frozen fruit juice concentrate with some vinegar and adding flavored seltzer. King summertime drink.

That’s really cool. I’ve never seen this available at a Denny’s. Can you give me a cite where I can read more about this? Or are you referring to a Coke “Freestyle” machine like they have a McDonald’s?

I’ve had Moxie, it was terrible. Tastes Medicinal.

I love lime Rickeys, and purchased a book called “Fix the Pumps” that contains a history of soda fountains and includes a ton of recipes. I even bought a bottle of the acid phosphate mentioned above.

There was once a drink sold in my Upstate South Carolina area called “Penderine” that was made from peanuts and DNA (which were once called “penders” and “nuclein”). I don’t think it ever rose to the level of popular, but it sure fits “archaic”.

It was advertised heavily in the 1905 Anderson City Directory (which is an interesting artifact itself—it was a “phone book” predecessor before there were many phones, listing everyone in the city by address, name, and occupation.)

(Penderine is almost impossible to google because Google insists that I want to know about a different word with a different spelling and will not accept otherwise.)

Ooh. We used to be able to get cherry phosphates when I was kid. They were really good.

really? it used to be in the Dennys menus listed in the drink section … it might of said "drink flavorings free " because at first they charged like 20 cents more for it then they just said it was free … it started back then they were trying to be a retro 50s motif …

here’s one of the cherry sprite drinks

although from what I’ve seen in the new menus is some of them have a free style machine now

I likes the idea of getting a “real” on made from scratch! Oh well, I’ll just have to look other places.

I tried it once. It had a pink bubblegum flavour. When I was a child, I liked bubblegum, but as an adult … well, let’s just say that I went back to Coke.

Assuming we’re thinking of the same thing, that’s called an “angel shot”, and it’s not a real drink at all - it’s an informal code intended to let the bartender know that you need help getting home safely. I’ve read that some bars put a poster in the women’s restroom with the house instructions on how you should ask for one.

Soda water aka Seltzer has enjoyed cycles of popularity going back to the 18th century. There is current upsurge in sales under the name ‘Sparkling water’. It is mostly found premixed in bottles now, but once impractical to keep from going flat. In the 19th century the Gasogene was invented to carbonate the mixture after purchase, and then later the pressurized seltzer bottle, staple of slapstick comedy, became common as a delivered item in large cities.

That same story or one similar to it was recently posted on “Not Always Right.”

Pink bubblegum? That’s something new. When I tried Moxie it reminded me of Vicks VapoRub.

Big Red, on the other hand, absolutely tastes like pink bubblegum.

Does anybody drink Rob Roys anymore? The last time I saw a reference to it was on The Jeffersons.

Lemon juice itself has very little lemon flavor, and phosphate gives a brighter sort of tartness. So if you substitute phosphate for the lemon juice, and add sugar and lemon zest or lemon extract, you can get more intensity in the flavors you like, rather than be overpowered by the raw acidity of lemon juice.

Man, my sense of “archaic” is very different from the OP’s

The “angels’ share” is the portion of spirit lost from the cask due to evaporation. Ordering that to drink will indeed cause people to look at you strangely :slight_smile: