Are expensive funerals worth it?

I guess. And having all of your blood sucked out & replaced with caustic fluid… its like roller coaster for the dead I guess…

Well now, that depends. Was she a smoker…?

When my dad died, the family came together to quickly pick a funeral home. It had to be done, he couldn’t just lay there in the living room.

Then we, me, mom and my two siblings, visited the funeral home where they walked us through dozens of choice I knew nothing about before that day. With four of us there, we tended to just go with “whatever is normal”, with normal being defined by the guys selling the caskets, liners, makeup services and everything else. Who wants to argue with family over those kinds of things at such a time?

They even had cardboard coffins, which my mom would have gone for if us kids hadn’t made a fuss. She didn’t see the need for anything other than the cheapest funeral possible, and she was probaly right. But I couldn’t give my dad the cheapest funeral as our last act for him. Just couldn’t do it.

Go the economy route on this. But in the long run, you’re dead and you can’t stop your family from spending big buckets of money on your carcass, even though you said please don’t while you were still alive.

HA! That reminds me of my father. He hates “Amazing Grace” so much he told us that if we played it at his funeral, he’d rise up out the casket and blow the roof off of the church.

I recently ran across a company way will build a nice looking but not terribly expensive wood coffin, and ship it to you unassembled, to be used when needed. If you want to, I think you can order it unfinished, and finish your own coffin, as well as assemble it.

My father probably only has a couple of years left, if that, and I’m trying to figure out how to suggest this to her, as both a beautiful and less pricy option.

Well, it’s Father’s Day. Suggest it as a project kit.

I’ve decided that I want the least costly disposal possible for my body, and the most beneficial for those that survive me. That is to say, I either want my body donated to a body farm and/or science use, or cremation and having ashes spread somewhere cool. NO FUNERAL. Have a party in a park or at home in my honor and cook some good food. I like fajitas, so maybe that.

(or not; I’m dead, what do I care?)

edit: I’m 28 so still fairly young, but it has been a sometimes difficult trip down a mental pathway to get to where I am now. When I was as old as 18, I couldn’t imagine having my body in any state other than totally complete and as preserved as possible. Over time my feelings relaxed enough to realize that, after I’m dead, it doesn’t really matter what happens to my body. So I might as well make it as cost effective and easy for those that survive me.

I kind of like this idea.