Are lies usually more interesting than the truth?

[SIZE=1]are lies usually more interesting than the truth? example - that thing about Catherine the Great(/SIZE] :confused:

Moderator’s Note: Hello, alternative princess, and welcome to the Straight Dope Message Board. The General Questions forum is for questions with factual answers. This looks like it might be a practice post, and if so belongs in the About This Message Board forum; however, I’ll take your query (“Are lies usually more interesting than the truth?”) at face value, in which case it’s soliciting opinions, which belongs in our In My Humble Opinion forum, where I’m moving this thread to now.

It’s also helpful to use a more specific title for your thread, so I’ll edit the title of this thread as well.

It’s also helpful to proofread your posts, so you can make sure they don’t have spelling, grammar, punctuation, or coding errors.

To answer the question, it depends on how elaborate the lie is. If I’m late to work because I overslept, I could make a boring lie (“Traffic coming out of my area was terrible!”) or I could say something more interesting (“I just couldn’t get my husband’s cum stain off my only wearable pair of pants.”) It’s just that the former lie is more believable, and in that situation, I would opt for believability over amusement value. If I was dealing with good friends, I may choose from either lie-- I may even go for the cumstain story, as it would amuse my friends and I like being amusing. Of course, I’m not in the habit of lying to my good friends.

Lies aren’t more interesting than truth if you know they’re lies. Then they are just stories. Something amazing that actually happened is usually more though-provoking than a story.

If you didn’t know it was a lie, presumably any fact could be “dressed up” so that it was more interesting. Instead of so-and-so swallowed 100 goldfish, one could lie, and say 200 goldfish. Instead of saying that all the gold in the world would fit in a cube 10 yards on a side, one could say 10 feet on a side. Instead of saying Catherine the Great had a taste for horses, you could say it was for mammoths, and that she caused their extinction in Siberia.

This board, of course, is testimony that truth for some, no matter how it’s dished out, is better than lies.

Lies can hurt more people, and the wound runs quite deep. You will also lose people’s faith in you, once trapped in a lie, which may never be regained. You will be sure to damage your integrity and credability. You will lose friends, push away family, etc…it is a downward spiral.

On the other hand, while the truth can hurt, it is not nearly as bad as building a wall of deception behind a veil of lies…

Honesty is such a lonely word; everyone is so unture… - B. Joel.

• Jinx