Are magazine fed, semi-auto shotguns any good

Didn’t even have the sound on that video. I did see the Russion tee-shirt.

I wouldn’t want to be his neighbor because of his spray and pray attitude towards weapons.

These folks say no.

There are others as well, but that’s the first search result.

Thanks!

I had a Bakail (Russian) 12 gauge I used to shoot in practical competitions like 3 gun matches. It was a lot of fun but very sensitive as to how you inserted the mags. If it didn’t fully seat the bolt would close but not chamber a round. The other thing I could see in a defense situation is the huge mag might catch on something. I went to a high end semiautomatic, the FN Self Loading Police. and absolutely love it.

FN? Did you have to take out a second mortgage on your house? :grin:

You’re oversimplifying and your own post proves it. You said ‘usually’. Now, to be clear, you also aren’t wrong, but my advice (and I suspect @DrDeth’s) is about things to consider, not absolutes. Is legislation often aimed at ‘scary black guns’ without looking at the underlying usage or mechanics? Yes. Is it always successful? No, of course not, and I’ll even grant that with the current SCOTUS, even less likely to be so, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a consideration.

As for the box-fed mag issue, it’s much more of an issue in my personal experience. So, let’s say you live in a state that embraces a 5 round magazine limit, which has been discussed above and beyond the currently popular 10 round limit in many states. All of a sudden, your current mags may be grandfathered in, but you can’t replace them anymore (legally). You have to get new (manf. or otherwise) replacements if your current group wear out, or you want spares.

This happened to me when Colorado put in a 15 round cap on box mags, and I ended up selling my M&P 9 because it became difficult in the short run to replace it (and I had wanted a 9c anyway).

Again, I’ll repeat, because this isn’t to slam on @Tired_and_Cranky - they are right, it isn’t a major issue, but it is something to consider, and it leaves out the issue of if the OP eventually moves to a more restrictive state as well.

And for the record, I do have a semi-auto (not box fed though) 12g, an old Browning Auto-5, and I find it perfectly reliable. But it’s one of my (many) semi-inherited guns that I don’t have a deep attachment too, and therefor don’t shoot all that much.

Actually, no. It’s been found that keeping them compressed helps with feeding. Do your own research on the web. One way to break in mags is to do a lot of shooting on the range.

Kahr is one of the honest manufacturers that backs this up. There is a break in period for both guns and mags. It helps the parts “set”.

I just couldn’t resist the fastest firing shotgun in the world. 5 shots in under 2 seconds. I tried it and about knocked myself over.

That is mostly true, but here in CA, you had to register such weapons, and there were hurdles, like Sheriffs running out of the forms, etc. In one CA county they ran out but the Sheriff said they would gives some grace until they got new forms, but the State overruled him, so many never got registered.

While I think a door to door confiscation is highly unlikely, some shit show as in CA is not unlikely at all.

Right. It is just a factor to consider, and trust me, if you go to the skeet range with such a gun, they will likely not be welcoming.

I just want a close in gopher semi-auto, probably 20g. Any suggestions? A Taurus Judge (.410/45) would probably be perfect, but they’re sold out and kinda expensive. Can’t have .22LR ricocheting around the neighborhood. How’s the recoil on the 12g SA?

Gophers? Why not a .410? a .410 single shot is damn cheap.

They make revolver style .410 long shotguns which are semi-auto but reload like a revolver. They’re imported under a bunch of different brands but are about $600 new. I’ve found them made by LAZER ARMS or Rossi as the Circuit Judge.

If you’re looking for semi-auto shotgun but with a ton more reliability look at those.

I was thinking about low recoil with the gas-operated semi-autos–it’s so easy shooting the .22 or .22 mag, but then I step up to the 7mm Rem mag and that’s kind of intense. Not a gopher gun, to say the least!

Would be fine, but we’ve got a LOT of gophers! I didn’t see one .410 in Sportsmans the other day.

Saiga did make a .410 AK style semi auto shotgun. Yep, here they are:

https://modernfirearms.net/en/shotguns/russia-shotguns/sajga-410-eng/

Definitely (!!!) not Russian. I don’t need AK or AR styled, either.

I already own a mossberg pump shotgun with a 28" barrel, so any kind of semi auto shotgun would be a secondary shotgun.

Do you know if jamming is less likely with the VR60 model?

I looked up the current offerings from FN. The Self Loading Police is much faster cycing then I thought. They claim 8 shots in less than 1 second. That has to be machine operated. I don’t think anyone can pull the trigger that fast. Jerry Miculek did it that fast but with a revolver that didn’t recoil.

I have the Beretta 1301 tactical with a magazine extension. By far the best shotgun I’ve ever owned. I’m selling it now but not because I want to. If it were up to me I’d keep it forever.
I’ll take that over any magazine fed style. I’ve used them and I hate the balance, the feed is unreliable and frankly unnecessary. With just a bit of practice, double and quad loading is a breeze.