Are schoolchildren still made to write out their crime/sentence on a blackboard _x_ number of times?

I sort of remember either having to do so or watching the pillorying of another kid in elementary school.

It’s characteristic of Bart Simpson, as we see from the opening credits of each show. But that may be now just a “fond” memory of the scriptwriters.

A similar sentencing idea has been used in a penal colony.

I was in gradeschool in the late 80s / early 90s. Never saw that chalkboard cliche actually used, but writing an apology repeatedly on a sheet of paper and turning it in to the teacher when x number of sheets were filled definitely happened.

Also had a junior high teacher who, iirc, would punish students who talked in class by sending them to the hallway to copy pages from a textbook.

eta: my mother is currently an elementary school teacher. As I understand it, punishment in her school is almost universally temporary isolation (go sit in the hallway) for small offences or temporary loss of priviledges. She’s in a rural, not exceptionally progressive district, so I have no idea if that’s the standard.

Speaking of penal colonies, when I was in Catholic school, I was indeed made to do this a number of times. I tweaked the rules by writing the first word over and over, vertically, then the second word, and so forth. It was much faster that way. Later, I realized that the teacher who was sitting in the classroom after school monitoring me was probably bored and itching to get out of there, so the next time, I did the task verrrrrry slooooooowly, as a form of revenge.

Of course, that was all 150 years or so ago–I can’t answer your question, but as it’s a sadistic and effective punishment, I can’t imagine its having died out–at least, not in Catholic school.

I had to do that once when I was in elementary school - this would’ve been in the early Seventies in a small Ohio River town. I kept talking to a friend after the teacher shushed us. I was a really well-behaved kid overall, so punishments like that really shook me, at the time.

Never had to write on the chalkboard, but I did have teachers that made misbehaving students copy pages out of the dictionary onto loose leaf paper.

I haven’t seen it with my kids but I have made my son write "I will not . . . " many times after he got in trouble in grade school. Yes, I’m an ogre.

I wish I had had a word processor back then. Write one sentence, select line, duplicate, duplicate…,then Control/P 10 times…

We had carbon paper back then. I suspect using that would have been slightly more effective than using a word processor today.

I teach at an English private school.
All our classrooms have interactive whiteboards (so writing on them would get you fined :eek:)

I went to a very small school, only two classrooms so there were 3 grades in each classroom. Two of the grades were taught together, except for reading/ writing and arithmetic, so the teacher essentially divided his or her time between two grades. This gave us plenty of time within the day to do our own thing, and we sometimes became rather noisy or disruptive. The punishment was to write your crime X times on a sheet of paper. Before very long it became common for kids to prepare these crime sheets at home, and when punishment was administered we would just dole out the already prepared sheets and just carry on with whatever we were doing.

Good times.

It’s a marvellous idea! Children who behave badly should absolutely be taught to hate to write! That will make them much less of a nuisance to society.
Now, what’s left is to also teach them to hate to read and vote. This shouldn’t be too hard.
Welcome, Brave New World!

There’s a thought! We could even expand on that idea by making them do long laborious numerical calculations. (Calculators allowed? You needn’t ask.) Then they would learn to hate math too, even more than they already do. It would make things soooooooo much easier for all the rest of us! :wink:

I was in a Catholic elementary school in, say, 2006 or so.

They did indeed make us write apologies on a piece of paper over and over again. They didn’t bother to use the blackboard for it.

Then again, that was almost a decade ago. I can’t say if it’s changed.

We tried to build a contraption using several pencils so that we could write several lines at the same time. It was an eternity ago but I don’t think anyone ever got convincing results out of it. It’s possible we got the idea from TV or movies.

Jefferson would approve: http://www.monticello.org/site/house-and-gardens/polygraph

When I was teaching back in the late '60s, early ‘70s, we were told by our teachers’ union that making kids do that was considered corporal punishment and should not be done.

However, once I did something sneakily similar. One mischievous youngster thought for some reason that it would be amusing to make duck noises when my back was turned. Of course, I caught him at it and he had to come to detention. So, Johnny (not real name), I said, since you like the word “quack,” let’s be sure you know what it means. Here is a dictionary. Look up the definition and copy it 50 times. What I didn’t remember at that moment was that the definition was very long, including verb and noun for duck sounds, plus a long explanation of a quack doctor, a charlatan. After about 45 minutes he was nowhere near done, and I really wanted to leave, too. He pleaded with me to pleeeaaase let him go home. I told him he could go now, but that he would have to finish another time. However, I added, if he was very well behaved in class from now on, I *might * forget that he hadn’t finished, so he should be very sure not to do anything to remind me of it. He was a model of behavior the rest of the year. I told this story to other faculty. A few days later he got a bit out of line in another class. “What’s the definition of ‘quack,’ Johnny?” He now had to behave in *all *his classes.

I’ll pit my word processor output to laser printer against your carbon paper any day.

Lisa used that technique in a 1996 “Simpsons” episode. (It helped that she was writing lines in a music classroom, where they keep one of these devices for drawing staves.)

I have relatives who were in school during the 70s-80s and they remember doing this.

By the time I was in school about 10 years later, I never experienced it. The closest we came was a shop teacher who would occasionally make the whole class copy out of a textbook. He did it if we were noisy and/or failed to clean up the previous day, and it was always the entire class, never just individual students.

Do any schools use/have blackboards now? Substitute teaching a few years back, was struck that every school I taught in had only white boards.

When were blackboards excised?