Are the French Conservatives "going American"?

Nope.

That’s not exactly what I was saying. And you’re right; it is about the French.

Antagonistic? No, I really don’t see it. I’ve seen politicians (on both sides) say things to try to score political points but they all do that. We may not like it but it’s here to stay.

Okay, that’s a fair point.

WHO is saying this about Obama? So far the only people I’ve heard bring up the ‘Kenyan’ thing are the Left in the media who won’t let it go. I haven’t heard a mainstream right-wing politician talk about the President’s race or heritage. They’ve all been too busy trying to get the government to stop spending more than it takes in. These kinds of attacks would be considered totally out of place and in bad faith in American politics too. We’re not really all that different.

Bullshit. United States Senators Richard Shelby (R-AL) and David Vitter (R-LA); U.S. Representatives Michele Bachmann (R-MN), Roy Blunt (R-MO), and Nathan Deal (R-GA); and former GOP elected officials turned pundits (and potential Presidential candidates) Newt Gingrich, Mike Huckabee, and Sarah Palin have all flirted with this shit. (Not to mention The Donald.) Newt’s comments don’t directly bring up the birth certificate issue, but he did burble on about Obama having a “Kenyan, anti-colonial” worldview, which is damned sure bringing up the President’s “Kenyan heritage”. Mind you, most of them have tried to have it both ways with the Birther bullshit–“I’m just asking questions here” tap-dancing–so as to be able to court the true believing lunatic fringe while trying not to completely cut themselves off from the mainstream realm of sanity.

It may surprise some Americans, but to us outside all this Hitler comparison is beyond bizarre. I, for one, don’t know what to think, most of the rest of the world have found ways to berate their politicians without going there.

Og knows our politicians (Dominicans) are scum, but they are definitely not anywhere near the vicinity of Hitler.

As for questioning the nationality of a candidate based on race, we’ve done that. It was so shameful that I voted for a politician I mainly disliked because I thought it was a shame. He lost, through the political maneuvering of an old ass, but it was obvious that the vast majority of us rejected the accusations. At least we managed not to compare him to Hitler. Phew!

So yeah, if I hear any of our politicians pulling that crap I will be VERY surprised (and alarmed), and possibly asking the same things as the OP.

You know who else never went so far as to compare his political opponents with Hitler ? Hitler, that’s who.

Stupid Firefox crashed on me.

Anyway, yeah, I get what the OP means. France had a reputation for racial tolerance, way to crap on it.