Are there any books about becoming wealthy that aren't crap?

I haven’t read any of the crap ones- but obv. they aren’t hard to find all over the place! :rolleyes: Obviously get-rich-quick stuff is usually doomed to failure, and other books are just obvious stuff, possibly?

So what’s the straight dope on useful literature on becoming wealthy? It could be an autobiography (like the ones on Warren Buffet or Howard Stern even) or anything. Books on how to plan a long-term career path for wealth, or work ethics that improve chances should be included.

After reading a recommendation for Smart Women Finish Rich on The Straight Dope, I bought it for my sister. She’s in college right now, and she did read it. I know that right after she read the book, it changed her outlook on how she should handle money. I’m not sure if it’s had any staying power, but she liked it at the time, and found it helpful.

anything by Dave Ramsey. including his radio show.

I just read the wiki article on him.

That’s a switch- taking financial advice from a guy who isn’t a millionaire now? but once was instead of the other way around. :smiley:

The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by Mordecai Richler :wink:

The best way to get rich with a “Get Rich Quick” book is to be the author.

1. Learn basic finance - understand interest, NPV of money, difference between stocks, bonds and mutual funds, financial statements and so on.

2. Pick a potentially high paying career - investment banking, law, real estate sales, trading

3. Make wise and sensible investments - buy a house, invest in index funds, not some stupid stock your friends brothers broker recommended.

I was impressed with The Automatic Millionare, which sounds get-rich-quick but actually seems pretty sound - it’s all about how to use automatic savings plans and such to pay yourself first, before you see the money.

isnt a millionare now? ya must have read that wrong… he lost his first millions but gained it and more back. he paid CASH for his office building here in brentwood TN. and who better to offer financial advice then somone who had it all and lost it, then figured out how to get it all back and then some? hes also written several very succesful books and teaches classes on “financial peace” as he calls it. he learned the hard way so we dont have to.

Brent (or Brett?) Machtig’s Wealth In a Decade is good. He gives really practical advice on what types of insurance you should have, how to diversify your portfolio, etc.

The Millionaire Next Door is also very enlightening, though it’s not a step-by-step process for building wealth.

On the other side of the coin, Rich Dad, Poor Dad is pure crap. It offers such helpful advice as: “The poor work for money, the rich make money work for them.” Wow, now there’s a sound plan I can put to use! :rolleyes:

The Motley Fool guys put out some good books but I don’t know how much of the specifics will be obsolete by now. They wrote most of them before the bubble burst.

Basically, spend less than you earn and invest the difference.

Are you sure that this is in the right forum?

I really expected more Atlas Srugged bashing.

I thought The Richest Man in Babylon offered some good advice, although it was written in a quirky, sometimes corny-feeling style. And it was recommended to me by a very wealthy man.

Since you mention it, I thouroughly enjoyed both of Howard Stern’s books, and although they’ll offer you nothing in the way of how to get rich, I highly recommend them.

Sorry. Book titles are supposed to be underlined, aren’t they? Everybody else using italics must’ve subconsciously threw me off :p.

Free bump. Any more?

I liked “The Only Investment Guide You’ll Ever Need” by Andrew Tobias.