Are there small, ordinary, daily things that make you happy for a little while?

When I come home after having been out for long time (or short time–I’m retired, so no job to go to anymore), and I know I don’t have to leave the house again until the next day, it makes me so happy. For just a while, true, but I get this rush of, “I’m home and I can get into my old clothes and turn off my phone and watch tv and sit with the dog and cats,” and it feels soooo good.

I’m trying to think of something else, but nothing quite compares with that.

Lunch! (Food releases endorphins!)

A phone call or an email from a friend. The week’s new comic books every Wednesday. Vivaldi. A thousand thousand others!

A compliment at work. (Rare…but does feel good! I make it a point to compliment others at work, whenever relevant and appropriate.)

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.” Robert Louis Stevenson

I enjoy time on my deck. I want to get a roll up awning installed so I can be on it more. I don’t enjoy being directly in the sun.

It’s nice being outside on Spring & Fall days.

When I see my babys(The lil’wrekkers)smiling face, and know she is happy and content, the world goes away! I am happy when dog jr. is happy. And weirdly the smell of lemons does something to me.

Butterflies, which are getting scarcer. Since I don’t see many butterflies anymore, wasps, especially cowkillers.

Coyotes, if they’re 50 yards away.

When I lived out in the country, I used to hear the coyotes at night. Sometimes my doggies would howl along with them-- the call of the wild, eh?

My cats.

When I’m home alone, and I can secretly play with my son’s toys by myself.

When my son pays me a compliment, hugs me, or tells me he loves me, which he does with what I understand is surprising frequency for an 11-year-old. He is a treasure.

I love the keyboard cat.

Maybe someday I’ll get tired of it but it hasn’t happened yet.

Watching the sun rise.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

One of my friends has a kid named Ranger…I have known Ranger since he was a sonogram.

Ranger is 7 yrs old now…he ALWAYS makes me smile.
He is such a great learner and trooper.

and puppies too…

Just being alive; seriously. Over 30 years ago the doctors thought I was being optimistic buying green bananas. But other than that …

A “perfect ride/drive” where I hit each gear just right and no other vehicles get in my way. Even if its just a couple miles it makes me smile.

A good joke or funny event even if its at my expense.

A wisp of woodsmoke in the air from a fireplace, smoker or grill.

Other people’s four-legged pets especially if I get to scratch their ears.

Just being alive; seriously. Over 30 years ago the doctors thought I was being optimistic buying green bananas. But other than that …:smiley:

A “perfect ride/drive” where I hit each gear just right and no other vehicles get in my way. Even if its just a couple miles it makes me smile…
I had a VW Van (yes a micro bus, the REAL original mimi van!) I could drive it all day without using the cutch is all things were in synch…it had a syncromesh tranny that you could easily “slip-shift”.

[del]Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens[/del]

Seriously, zillions of little things.

That delicious moment when you wake up early and roll over comfortably and snuggle into your sheets and blankets and drift off again.

Sitting next to a crackling fire in the fireplace.

That first bite of the dinner you spent an hour fixing.

The sound of sopranos and altos in four part harmony doing a plaintive minor chord rising way up high.

The way shoes feel when you tighten the laces snugly onto your feet.

Being with someone you love and having a good sharing conversation and being cozy with each other.

That moment when your script compiles perfectly and does what it’s supposed to do when you test it.

Sunshine striking your face when you step out of the house.

Playing guitar.

Does alcohol count?

If not:

Getting home from work and realizing you have 6 hours of free time.

Socializing with people I like.

Getting home from work on a Friday and having the weekend ahead of me.

Watching a good movie or hearing a good music album or comedy album I haven’t seen before.

I come out of the bedroom in the morning after waking up and auxiliary dog is on the floor in “belly-scratch mode” with tail a-goin’. I am so easy.

Being on a long drive, stopping on a hot day for a bathroom break, and getting a big-sized soft drink with lots of ice. Nothing feels better than getting back on the road, empty bladder, full cup of soda, and A/C on high.

First sip of coffee in the morning.

Sound of a distant train blowing its horn for a road crossing.

Rain on the roof.

The two happiest times of the day for me are when I go to bed at night and when I wake up in the morning. That seems to be a pretty reliable indicator of a good life.

Until this summer, I lived alone, very solitary, for ten years. I was very happy all the time, to be in complete control of every aspect of my life, without ever having to make any compromises with anyone.

Not daily but weekly at least, the roar of Detroit iron beneath my feet, the whine of the props and the noise of the wind as I leave the harbor. For me it’s one of the things that make me happiest.