Are Wild Fruits Actually Any Good?

I ask because in all cases (the I have seen) domestic fruits are:
-larger
-tastier
-less sour
-sweeter
Take the famous Cape Cod "beach plum). These plums grow in abundance on beaches, from Maine to North Carolina. All the local shops sell beach plum jelly/jams.
Frankly, its terrible-the beach plums have rather tasteless fruits, and large stones. A few years back, my wife and I picked a bunch, and made jam-we threw it out-the Smuckers stuff is a lot better.

The local blackberries around here are a far sight better than the store bought ones. Good enough for me to brave the heat, thorns and mosquitoes annually to pick a bunch from the woods when they’re in season. I’d plant some bushes in my yard if they weren’t so invasive. They’re a lot smaller than the big ones from the produce section but sweeter and juicer ounce per ounce.

This is around Chicago; I know the western US has a different species of blackberry and have no idea how they taste.

The wild blueberries around here are heads and shoulders above the big bland things labelled “blueberries” you buy at the store. I won’t even eat those.

The wild blackberries and raspberries are also very good, though I’ve purchased equally-good ones at times.

I don’t even think you can buy Thimbleberries. They grow wild just about everywhere here.

Wild blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are tastier to me.

Wild strawberries are far sweeter and more flavorful than their store bought cousins.

Wild blackberries, ditto. But you have to refrigerate them to notice. I’m not sure why - maybe it’s just that they need a little time off the vine for the starches to change to sugars, and the refrigerator just keeps them from getting mushy while that happens. All I know is that the wild blackberries I picked last week were good off the vine, but divine the next morning when chilled overnight.

I think wild blueberries taste more intense, but I prefer the flesh-to-skin ratio of their larger cultivated cousins.

Nonsense. Beach plums make the best jelly possible. Sweet and tart and with a lot of character.

You don’t eat them straight; they’re fairly sour. But that makes for great jelly.

Paw-paws are ugly as sin and look even uglier as they ripen, transport terribly and you’ll never find them in a large grocer’s produce department. But my wife loves them to death and I find them enjoyable as an annual treat. They have sort of a custard-esque consistency.

I guess you can’t compare them to a non-existent domestic version however.

When I was in Boy Scouts I baked a blueberry pie at camp, using a home-made reflector over. The blueberries were definitely smaller than store-bought, bjut they were just as tasty.

The raccoons agreed.

I only remember having wild blueberries, strawberries, and honeycrisp apples bought straight from the farm but they all tasted divine compared to the store counterparts. The strawberries were deep red all the way through, none of that white stuff in the middle. For some reason, that really amazed me when I saw that for the first time.

Yummm…can’t say as I’ve ever had one, but the description sounds something like a cherimoya. Obviously not the same fruit, but a tropicalish custardy stringy-near-the-skin fruit with big ugly seeds.

Wikipedia says they’re in the same family, but not of the same species.

I’m getting the impression berries are better naturally. That conforms with my own experiences with blueberries. Wild ones are smaller, but taste way better.

I’m not really sure with bananas, I’ve had them fresh from the plant, not exactly wild, but not on a farm either. They are way, way, way (repeat about 30 times) better than the bananas you can get in the store. They are vine ripened and incredibly flavorful.

I wonder what wild tomatoes that were precursers of modern tomato breeds tasted like. If they were like plum tomatoes, they might be much better.

I suspect apples, pears and the like are probably better as a result of selective breeding and farming techniques.

Wild type tomatoes are tiny little berries - blueberry-size. Not sure on the eating qualities.

Wild blackberries here are way nicer than any domestic cultivar. Not as big or juicy, usually, but fantastic aroma that is always lacking in the thornless varieties.

I dont like to refrigerate or even wash them, as this diminishes the aroma.

My wife was born in Peru and says the same thing which explains her delight in eating them.

I agree with all those saying wild berries beat the pants off commercially grown berries. Also in our area we have wild figs and currants growing along a seasonal creek. They are very good, but since I never purchase figs or non-dried currants at the store, I cannot compare.

Wild strawberries are unbelievably tasty, for such tiny little things. Wild saskatoons (serviceberries to eastern folks) are also very good.

Wild strawberries from high in the mountains are really nice. Small and all that, but the flavor is amazingly intense.

I’ve eaten a lot of “wild” blackberries but to me they look just like domestic varieties that got naturalized years ago. Not really better than cultivated varieties, sometimes not even as good.

I was a berry picker as a kid and have grown my own, so I know what fresh berries taste like and that makes more of a difference than anything.

Wild strawberries used to grow around here and they were not very good. Rather dry and sour.

The wild blackberries around here are great. Very sweet and juicy, if a bit small.

Yeah, I’ve had wild strawberries (poziomki) in the woods in Poland. It’s like a whole different fruit.

My childhood home had wild raspberries growing in my backyard. I never want to move back to New Hampshire, and I didn’t really regret it when my parents sold the house - but I admit, there are times I still kind of wish I could go out back, fill a bowl of wild raspberries, and sit down with a good book.

From Oregon to BC, the entire Pacific coast is awash with wild blackberries. When I am there, I go out and eat them right off the vines. They are way better than bought berries. And free.

Here in the east I used to harvest a lot of Juneberries (serviceberries, saskatoons) in late June, but now the bushes on my front lawn have grown into trees and I all get is the birdshit on my car. They were tasty, sweet, kind of mushy, better for making muffins than eating off the bush, although I did plenty of that.

Back in the days that I could eat jellies, we would harvest a load of chokecherries from one tree and crabapples from another and make jelly by mixing them. The crabs provided the pectin, the chokecherries provided the flavor (and color) and we provided the sugar. That was also delicious. Sadly, no more.

The one rule I always follow is that I have to positively identify the fruit or I won’t touch it. A couple blocks from here is a tree covered with pretty red berries I cannot identify, but I note that even the birds don’t touch them. Nor will I. I do wonder, though, how such a fruit evolves since it appears to be serving no biological function that I can see.