are you a genius? help me!

for algebra 2 extra credit we are supposed to present a logic problem. my teacher says try the internet, so i figured this is the best place. so i need an excellent, super-hard logic problem (which doesn’t necessarly have to involve math) so give me your best shot!

I was walking down the street when something caught my eye… and dragged it 15 feet.–Emo Phillips

Someone said to me, “Make yourself a sandwich.” Well, if I could make myself a sandwich, I wouldn’t make myself a sandwich. I’d make myself a horny 18-year-old billionaire.

I hope nobody will come up with a ready-made answer (I hate to sound priggish, but I think people should attempt to do their own homework.)

Here’s a suggestion though:

Do you know how to play chess? How about a complicated mate problem? I.e. mate in 5 moves.

Jacques Kilchoer
Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains.

Wait though. Are you supposed to present a problem, or devise a problem? If you just want to present a problem (and solution) that’s not of your making, try reading the thread on “Dividing a portion in three ways.”

http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002862.html

Jacques Kilchoer
Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains.

Hell, how about mate in TWO moves? That should cover the nut for an algebra-II extra credit.

Uke

My first reaction would be that a chess problem isn’t a logic puzzle; I’d probably clear it with the teacher first because I sort of doubt that’s what he/she/it had in mind.

To me, “logic puzzle” is one of those problems where you’ve given a list of dinner guests and a set of rules like “Mr. Baker never eats meat. Mrs. Abel is seated across from Nancy. The person who ate roast beef had pecan pie for dessert.” and you’re supposed to figure out who had what and where they were sitting.

I agree; I think Merper32 should first clarify JRK’s and Ike’s questions/concerns.

Ray

Go to Barnes and Noble (don’t talk though…shhhhh!)
and find a Mensa Logic puzzle book or some other logic puzzle book. Copy it.
Although, I’m sure your teacher wanted you to come up with something yourself…

Also, try a yahoo search on “logic” and “logic puzzles”

Some mornings it just doesn’t seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.
http://www.angelfire.com/ny3/zettecity/index.html

How about this?

If you are flying over a lake in a canoe and the wheels fall off before you get to the other side, How many pancakes does it take to cover a dog’s house?

Maybe that is a puzzle though.

Go to Mensa’s web site for lots of logic puzzles. www.mensa.org

Jeffery

Str: The answer is 18, not matter how large the pancakes or how small the doghouse. Try it!

P.S.: That’s an easy one.

No Omninot the answer is not 18. How absurd.

Jeffery

Since your teacher told you to try the Internet, I assume you are allowed our assistance.

1. The Dudeney chess puzzle (but you don’t need to know how to play chess to solve it)

Two people have a perfectly constructed chessboard and an unlimited supply of pawns of exactly the same dimensions. The first person places a pawn on the board (not necessarily in the middle of a square - anywhere); the second replies. And so on till one player can’t fit another pawn on the board.
With perfect play, who wins?

Answer - the first player, provided he puts the first pawn in the exact geometric centre of the board, and then matches his opponent’s moves symmetrically.

1. My logic puzzle

You are on campus (I’m translating into American, so excuse any foulups!) and there are two paths ahead. You know one leads to the student bar. There are two students facing you - one always lies, the other always tells the truth. One question to find the alcohol…

OK, this is an old one (but there’s more). You ask one student ‘which path would the other student say led to the bar?’ and take the opposite path. (If you can’t work out why, I hereby fail you!).

My question is:

You are on campus and there are two paths ahead. You know one leads to the student bar. There are three students facing you - one always lies, one varies randomly between truth and lying, the third always tells the truth. How many questions to find the alcohol?

Answer - one. ‘did you know they’re serving free beer at the bar?’ (then follow all three)

Monty Hall shows you three doors…

ok, to clarify. the object is to find a superhard logic problem and present it (with the answer) to the class, then explain the line of thought. so any help on a great logic problem would be appreciated!

I was walking down the street when something caught my eye… and dragged it 15 feet.–Emo Phillips

Someone said to me, “Make yourself a sandwich.” Well, if I could make myself a sandwich, I wouldn’t make myself a sandwich. I’d make myself a horny 18-year-old billionaire.

If all else fails, run down to the closest store that sells magazines and buy a Dell Crossword Puzzle, Word Puzzle, or Logic Problems book. They usually have excellent logic problems in them, and the reasoning leading up to the solution is described step-by-step in the back. A Logic Problems issue would be best, as they contain several 5-star logic problems that will really warp your mind.

Just for fun, try solving them on your own before reading the explanation - you might get hooked like I did!

BTW, other companies produce puzzle books, but for my money Dell has the best quality, most accurate puzzles.

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. - Henry Van Dyke

Also look for Games magazine. They usually have a pretty standard logic puzzle, and a lot of other stuff as well. The ‘Wild Cards’ section often has a few smaller logical problems too.

Bob the Random Expert
“If we don’t have the answer, we’ll make one up.”

Forgot about Discover magazine - they usually have one or more logic-type problems at the end of the magazine. So try that one too.

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. - Henry Van Dyke

Thats a good one Nick!

But there’s no need to switch…everyone knows that!

Here’s one from a course that I took:

Who dunnit?

Five suspects were questioned in a murder case. Their statements were as follows:

A said: “C and D are lying.”
B said: “A and E are lying.”
C said: “B and D are lying.”
D said: “C and E are lying.”
E said: “B and C are lying.”

If you set up truth tables, your answer should come to A, C, and E are lying; B and D are telling the truth.

This is more of a riddle, but here goes.

You’re in the basement of a house. In the basement, there are three switches, all in the OFF position. Each switch corresponds to one of three light bulbs in the attic. You don’t know which switch goes to which light bulb, and you need to find out. Given that you can only make ONE trip up to the attic, after which you cannot go back down, how do you find out which switch goes to which bulb?
Answer: Turn on two of the three switches. Wait five minutes. Turn off one of the two you turned on. Head upstairs. Touch both of the bulbs that aren’t lit. The one that’s warm corresponds to the switch you turned on and then off again.
If this isn’t what you’re looking for, ask me nicely and I’ll give you the problem of the Unexpected Hanging, and maybe even the Island of the Unknown Adulterers.

Find the height of a building using only a barometer.
The simplest method would be to knock on the superintendent’s door and say:

“If you tell me the height of this building, I will give you this nice barometer.”

The big toe is a device for finding furniture in the dark.