Are you counting on some form of inheritance from your parents or grandparents?

I only have one remaining parent (Hi Mom!), and she seemed surprised when I indicated in a conversation that none of us expected her to leave us anything, so she should get a reverse mortgage if she wanted, or sell her house and roll around nekkid in a big pile of money, or whatever. She was a single mom and worked her padodie off to feed, clothe and house us; she doesn’t owe us a thing. My dad left us what he had, which amounted to all his junk (he was a bit of a hoarder) and a small life insurance policy. We received nothing from our grandparents and didn’t expect anything. I do feel sad that I have nothing to remember them by, but I’d much rather have had their life stories than any of their possessions.

My mother did have us all tell her of any possessions we had special attachments to or would like to have after her passing, and each of us mentioned a few items just to make her quit obsessing about it, but we’re not the kind of family that squabbles over possessions, maybe because we’re not in the habit of owning anything very valuable. We also expect nothing from my mother-in-law if she doesn’t outlive us, but I’m not sure that her estate will be as hassle-free as my mother’s.

I expect I’ll receive a sizable inheritance when my mother and step-father die. It will break my heart though, as I love them dearly and depend more on their support and care than I ever will on their money.

But they have plenty of money. They spend as much of it as they want, they aren’t depriving themselves for the sake of their kids. They travel a lot and have what they need. But my 3 sisters and I have been told that we will split the money (with some going to charity) when they die.

On the other hand, when my father died last year I found out he disinherited us, but he was a pretty rotten guy.

No. My parents both got nice inheritances from their parents, but I won’t get anything from them. I’ll be lucky if I don’t end up paying, in fact! Because that’s just my life.

My parents have created a living trust so I know my brother and I will share whatever is there when the last parent dies. However, they are still free to sell possessions, houses, etc. I’m assuming we’ll get something but I don’t count on it because I don’t know how much there will be and I don’t know when either parent will die (I’m sure my dad will live to be 101 due to sheer stubbornness). Whatever I get, if there’s anything left, I will see it as an little extra gift that will help a bit in retirement (or it could be a lot). In the meantime, my mom keeps trying to get us to tell them what particular possession we want after they die. I mostly point out one or two things to make her happy.

Nope. Expected nothing from my family. Haven’t been disappointed yet.

My brother and I will be our parents only heirs and will get half each of everything, which will be a fairly typical middle class estate. With that said, if they decided to take the lot and blow it on an around the world extravaganza, I’d be pretty thrilled for them. That money ought to go to making them happy.

My Nanna has very little and is hoarding it for her kids. We’ve all encouraged her to blow it on anything that would make her happy but she won’t. Shame, really, as not much divided by four isn’t going to make a huge impact in the lives of her heirs, but could be enough to splash out on something enjoyable for herself.

Nope.

All my grandparents have lived into their 90’s. My grandmother just celebrated her 99th birthday in July. She’s not exactly spry these days, but I expect she’ll make it to her 100th.

So unless my parents are in an accident, odds are I’ll be waiting plenty long for any inheritance. And they’ve got a LONG time in retirement to burn through their savings–which they should. It’s theirs.

Would I be upset if my siblings received more than I did (or all of it)? I kind of expect it, actually. Both my brothers have children, and I don’t. My parents have been pretty clear that they raised us and fulfilled their obligations, so any inheritance goes to the grandkids.

I really don’t mind since that money is so far off in the future anyway. Plus, the only things I want from my parents are a few sentimental items. One is my mother’s piano that she taught me to play on. She gave that to me last year. I’ve received plenty from them. I don’t need any more.

I am getting a modest inheritance from my aunt. I won’t be rich or even well off. I didn’t originally count on it, though I did sort-of expect it as she was intestate until only a few years before she died.

I won’t be receiving anything from my father, even if he leaves anything - he’s repeatedly declared his desire to leave nothing - but given our poor relationship (which still saddens me) that’s hardly surprising.

My grandmothers are living practically forever and are spending a lot on costly medical care, so I highly doubt there will be much to go around when they’re gone. I am more than okay with this, because I’m happier to have them around far into their 90s than I would be to have any of their money.

Neither of my parents will be leaving anything, either, unless they have secret riches in offshore accounts I don’t know about. Both carry a decent amount of debt, and own small condos that aren’t likely to bring very much when they’re sold, so there definitely won’t be a windfall waiting for us kids.

I’ve never expected to get anything. I know that there are some pieces of furniture and jewelry that my mother and her mother want me to have someday, but it’s more for sentimental value than for financial gain.

I expected to get some inheritance from my grandmother/grandfather’s estate, but I underestimated how much I would get because there was a reverse mortgage on the house. I thought the reverse would suck up a lot of the house value but apparently it did not. I ended up inheriting about a year’s gross income, which was pretty nice.

I expect my dad/stepmother to be flat broke when they leave this mortal coil. I have a great uncle to whom I am not related by blood, so I have no idea whether I stand to receive anything or not. I consider myself “good” in the inheritance department, so anything extra would just be a pure bonus, to be spent on cocaine.

I’m dreading dealing with Mom’s estate once she passes. I recently ranted about it in the pit, basically she cannot follow through with what my Dad promised the family before he died. He didn’t have much insurance, Mom is struggling financially, family members are being assholes. Add Mom alienating my only sister through a stupid comment and my sister being completely unforgiving towards her… it’s going to be hell. I am the administer. Mom recently changed her will, I have not asked about it. Mom has also taken sis’s name off all her bank accounts and put me on. At this time, TheKid and I are the only ones in contact with Mom.

I do know Mom has a few large insurance policies and four properties (one in foreclosure, which started the downhill financial slide, and was caused by a relative). We’ve told her multiple times that we don’t care about her stuff, we want her around. She doesn’t get it. I have a feeling sis and that side are going to be screwed in her will, then I’m going to have to deal with it all.

I expect nothing. My parents will probably leave some amount of money when they die, I suppose, but I’m not the world’s greatest financial planner. My sister is better placed to deal with any inheritance, and perhaps it would be nice if they were able to leave something in some kind of trust arrangement for my kids, if they could.

On the whole, though, it’s not a consideration for me. I’d rather they lived as long as possible.

I have asked my mother to rewrite her will so that my sister gets my share. She’ll need it and I won’t.

Mom was quite forceful in telling me no.

Not “counting on”, no, but because I have a copy of my parents’ wills in my study, I know what I’ll be getting (I was an only child). My husband is one of three boys and his parents own two properties, so I’m not sure how that’s going to be divvied up. I do know that I’d give up a hundred times the worth of my inheritance just to have my parents live that little bit longer. It’s them I value, not their leftover money.

I’m not counting on anything.

I still have all of my grandparents (minus my paternal grandfather who died when my father was a teen), and I expect absolutely nothing from any of them.

My mother has been remarried since I was 17, and they have some sort of trust set up. Her husband has two children, one of whom has been mostly removed from the will. Things will be split mainly between myself and his daughter, with whatever pittance they’ve reserved for his son going to him. I have no idea what the estate entails, but they have no debt and have prepaid their funerals and have long-term care insurance.

My father is now unmarried making me sole inheritor by default. I have no idea what his situation is, other than he got a royal screwing when he lost his job of 34 years back in the early 2000s. It took a few years to find another job, he got divorced and the ex screwed him out of his portion of the sale of their house by filing bankruptcy. He now works a job that pays a fraction of what he used to make, and I’m pretty sure he’s got very little retirement. He seems to be ok, but I know he doesn’t have what he’d planned on at this stage in his life.

I don’t expect anything from anyone except some family keepsakes. Anything I were to receive would be appreciated, but I am not counting chickens. Whatever happens, happens.

No, not counting on anything.

I really don’t want anything. I’d feel icky taking money I didn’t earn.

Never asked my mum. Might be a few thousand; might be a few dozen thousand. And if her sister in Australia dies first, might be a hundred thousand.

Still have grandparents around @ 42 they are in their 90’s.

At last count there is some serious inheritance with my name on it, like mid 6 digits. Its already in trusts of some kind with distribution instructions. I know of them, but not the details

Not planning on it, but if it came tomorrow I could probably retire with a little better than my current lifestyle by investing it.

Thats just the grandparents.

Dad is messier, stepmothers 5 children are already asking about the will and my dad just hit 60. He has a huge house, property, a decent sized business with not insignificant resources. I expect my fathers passing will be a monumental legal shitstorm, especially if my stepmother outlives him (unlikely as she is 15 years older than him.).

Mom is open book, life insurance, sell house, split up among the kids, about $100K each.

Not counting on it. Grandpa’s wife is like 8 years younger than him and they are both quite healthy so I think she’ll go through what’s left of his money. The church will get a lot too.

I have a feeling dad is going to live long and have a lot of medical bills. Mom’s going to live longer and need what’s left.

If I got anything, I’d be pleasantly surprised. Dad desperately wants us to have all his money but I want him to not be broke.

And like others said - I’ll be sad that my family members were gone.

Got it already. I have no idea what my parents did with their money. They both worked full-time, or more, and had damn little to show for it. No expensive house or cars, no expensive travel, nothing. I don’t know what their income was, but it apparently was a whole lot less than I thought.