Are you familiar with the term "moded"?

I ran across the word inadvertently yesterday, and it is a word that, as far as I can recall, I haven’t encountered since I was in junior high school.
Urban Dictionary defines it first as “A word used to put someone in their place after they’ve been proved wrong” and gives the following example:

The second and third definitions on the page are also apt, and the third specifically mentions a “1980s California version.”

I mentioned it on my Facebook feed, and the only people who seemed to have heard it before were people who had grown up in Southern California like me. And like I said, I haven’t heard it since I was a kid. Searching through the board, I found where it had been referenced at least twice before around these parts.

So I’m trying to figure out: 1) if it was purely a regionalism; and/or 2) if it was something used only during a particular time period and has since faded out of usage. Your vote in the poll will be appreciated, but even more so would be your commenting in the thread about where you’re from, and if you’re actually familiar with the term, during what years you recall hearing it used. Thanks!

Western, NY. Never heard of the silly thing. :slight_smile:

Northern Cal. Never hoid it.

I think it’s a mistake. The word is* modded.*

Never heard of it. I’m also relatively young (compared to this board at least) and from the Midwest.

“modded” I have heard of, but mostly in car/video game context.

Same here but I’m old and in western PA.

I’m from Missouri. Never heard “moded” but “modded” doesn’t sound unfamiliar, though I don’t really know what it means.

Well, it’s certainly looking like a pretty damn regional term thus far. Hopefully we can get more SoCal folks in here at some point to confirm.

And just to be clear, “modded” is definitely not what we’re discussing, here. “Moded” is pronounced with the long “o” sound.

I know “mode” and “outmoded”, but have never heard “moded” used on it’s own.

I know the term, as I’m from SoCal. When I first heard it, I thought it was ‘moted’, a shortening of ‘demoted’. But I’ve only heard it pronounced with a ‘d’.

Um. That’s not a word.

Also, Urban Dictionary. :dubious: Really? I’d be skeptical if UD asserted that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Same here.

Urban Dictionary is the best place to go for slang definitions.

Is it short for demoded?

South-east. GA, mostly. I heard and used it as a young’un 70’s- 80’s. No idea where it came from.

I’m not sure where this is coming from. UD is exactly the sort of resource ideal for figuring out slang usage. I’m not looking for a Merriam-Webster definition; I’m trying to find out how people are using (or aren’t using) the word. What would you recommend as a better resource?

Chicago area, born early 70s. Never heard of it as presented or pronounced as described (have heard of ‘modded’ as in modified).

The 1980s? Its outmoded.

From Northern California, and I’ve never heard it.

I haven’t thought of that word in 30+ years yet it clicked the second I saw it. Thanks for that blast from the past, **As **:slight_smile:

Now, does anyone here remember using the term “gelled” ?