Are you fond of saying Apples and Oranges can't be compared? Listen up, dumbshit!

I prefer to say “It’s like comparing Ooples to Ba-noo-noos”

you have to know the song

I like this rant. It is original, and makes an excellent point.

But you can’t make pie out of oranges.
When come back, bring apple pie.

Orange Pie.

Hare pie!

Agreed. :cool:

Orange Tang Pie. I’ve never tried this, but a friend claims that it is fantastic.

Certainly a biological relation between apples and oranges can be described in scientific terms, as above.

However, oranges are round, and orange. Apples are not quite so round, and (typically) red.

Glad we could help clear up this lingering problem.

Not all apples are typically red.

If Life gives you Apples, make Orangeade.

Apples grow on trees. Oranges? I’ve never seen an orange tree in my entire life.

No, no we don’t have to know the song. In fact I would prefer to NOT know the song :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused:

If we are going to do away with “apple and oranges” because of situations in which they can be compared, we need to get rid of other expressions that don’t hold literally true 100% of the time.

The early bird gets the worm. A falisy. Many, if not most, birds do not eat worms. Therefore, the earliest bird will frequently be a non worm eater, leaving the worm to be devoured by a later bird.

When in Rome, do as the Romans. That’s just bad advice. “when in Rome do as the Italians” might work, but the Romans have been gone for 1500 years or so and the Italians are not going to like it if you walk around their capital city talking about invading Germany.

A stitch in time saves nine. Never mind nine what, the concept of using a needle and thread on space-time violates everything we know about Relativity and Quantum mechanics. I suspect the expression stems from a misuderstanding of string theory.

Um, it means that a stitch in time (before damage becomes worse) saves nine stitches later… But wait a minute, I’ve been whooshed, haven’t I?

[…bucket of slime pours onto my head…]

Tell me you’ve never used a hammer to drive in a screw. Or the handle of a screwdriver to drive in a nail.

Sorry, you fail to convince me.

Just got off the phone from the well-established MC Mr. Jimmy Tarbuck. Although he’s worked with a lot of fruits in his time he says he’s never had a paying gig off either an apple or an orange. For 10 points, I guess what he’s trying to say is …?

LOL. Saved that link for future use.

Huh. I always thought the phrase was, “You’re comparing apples and oranges,” or “You’re talking about apples and oranges,” i.e. you are considering two things that are dissimilar in some way that is important to the discussion.

I mean, obviously you can compare them. To say that you can’t is just stupid.

“Apples and oranges can’t be compered.”
:cool: :stuck_out_tongue: erm yeah.

Uh, yeah, you wouldn’t growing up there in the frozen North. But down South where was meant to live? :slight_smile: Oranges grow on trees; never seen an apple outside of the Piggly-Wiggly…