Are you freaking KIDDING me, or are you that stupid?

I don’t know, but I seem to recall a lot of cars from the '70s and '80s had the tank receptacle underneath the license plate.

Oregon. She couldn’t have made it all the way to NV from NJ without refueling. Oh, and on rainy days she had an umbrella and got off on her own floor.

Unless she was out of gas completely and could not move the car

Okay, if she couldn’t figure out where her gas tank was the first time, what makes you think she could find it with both hands and a map?

And someone who can’t quite figure out how to pull correctly into a gas station? Sharing a road with me and mine? I’m assuming that some state, somewhere, issued her a drivers license… Eek.

I do hope you’re stuck in line behind this genius someday, whether she’s trying to get a refund of her $40, or whether she’s trying to decide which letter means “backwards” on her PRNDL stick.

Yep. Attendant pump gas is one of the banes of Oregon.

It’s nice in a lot of ways, until a pot-smoking highschool kid splashes petrol all over your new Explorer.

Perhaps it’s not Pit-worthy. The point is that she did NOT move to another pump, did NOT try to stretch the hose to the other side, and did NOT turn her car around on the same pump. She came back like a three-year-old and said “I can’t, I can’t, my tank is on the wrong side!” She deserves a smack in the side of the head.

ETA : I told her to turn the car around, and she said, “Ohhhh…”

Joe

I Pit you for not telling the whole story the first time, idjit.

All righty then.

Joe

Ever stop to think that she was all discombobulated because, oh, I don’t know, she was headed to the hospital to pick up a friend who’d been hurt in an accident/ her daughter’s having her baby/ her brother is dying?

I’m just saying, we are all capable of making silly mistakes and often it’s because some
other terribly emotional thing has us slightly off our game.

But, then, maybe you’ve never made a silly mistake, made too much of something, because of other things going on in your life. I know I wouldn’t like to be defined by my silly mistakes.

First thing I did before letting my teenager get behind the wheel was to slowly walk around the outside of the vehicle, pointing out the exterior features. Then we got in the car and I went over every control on the dashboard. When that was all over, we sat there for a few seconds and then I asked him a test question: which side of the car to you put the gas in? He had to think for a bit, then answered correctly. I think it was probably a lucky guess.

Well we better call the waaaaaaaambulance.

Aren’t you getting paid to hit the 4 buttons that will switch it to the other pump?

Is hitting 4 buttons really harder than having her turn the car around?

Isn’t she the customer?

It’s not a difficult system to understand, but I think you need a refresher, here goes:
The “customer” pays money to the “company” for a service. The “company” pays YOU to perform work that will service the “customer”.

Being a customer certainly doesn’t rule out being an idiot. This particular person is an idiot, and worthy of mocking.

And I’d like to live somewhere where the hoses would stretch around to the other side, because they sure don’t around here.
[/QUOTE]

what gas station on planet earth has pumps so close together that he could “switch it to the other pump” and solve the problem? no matter what she has to get back in her car and put the tank side up near the pump or at the least get closer so she can stretch the hose to the tank.

as for the service are you really saying he should have got in her car and moved it for her? seriously? he cant walk away from the register if hes the only employee.

I’d like to live somewhere where the hoses would stretch around to the other side, because they sure don’t around here.
[/QUOTE]

In the case of a few pumps that can do this the attendant often won’t let the gas pump. The reason being the gas in the hose is already past the meter.

In my youth I had the experience of running out of gas while driving around aimlessly with some friends in the middle of the night. As we ran out of gas we pulled into a closed station. We proceeded to empty some of the hoses into our car in the hopes of getting enough to make it to an open station. We were on the last pump when the cops pulled in.

He was looking to charge us with theft as we tried to explain the situation. We proposed the argument that we weren’t stealing the gas since somebody else had paid for it and we merely “found it”. Must have been close to the end of the shift or the logic motivated him to let us move on.

If the police officer didn’t follow your logic then the judge might have. In any case, you got off lucky.

I hate people like you. You make everyone’s life who works in customer service a living hell.

If I invented a time machine, I wouldn’t assassinate Hitler–I’d put a bullet in the head of the moron who coined the phrase: The customer is always right.

Have none of you ever rented or borrowed a car? One that had the filler cap on the other side from what you’re used to?

He switches it to another pump. She gets in her car and drives to the other pump, but Whoops! Someone else already drove up to it! Or someone drove up to the old pump before it got switched! Mass chaos!

If the hose isn’t long enough to go around the car, the hose on the other side isn’t long enough to reach across the empty space where another car would be.

It’s not a difficult system to understand, but I think you need a refresher.

Every car sold in the US since 2003 has an arrow on the fuel gauge indicating which side of the car the filler cap is on.