Are you glad that TV season is over?

I sure am glad my shows are over.

The only shows I really watch are Scrubs, The Office, Deadwood and Lost.

But, the thing is, say Lost is coming on at 8:00. . .I know I’m going to have it on so I don’t really start anything after 7:00 (say working on my bike, or doing some housework). I’m sitting on the couch. I’ll turn the TV on at 7:30. Then, 9:00 comes around and the show’s over, and I have the remote and I’m in my ass-groove, so what the hell. . .I’ll surf to King of Queens, or whatever’s on HBO, or a ball game. Next thing you know, it’s 10:00 and I’m going to bed after sitting in front of the tube for 2.5 hours.

And American Idol kills me because I don’t really give a crap about it, but I’ll turn it on and then get sucked in anyway, so I’m glad that’s over.

So, basically I’m glad that TV season is finally over. Just leave the box off. . .maybe go to a film during the week, finish up that book I’ve had for 2 months, stay on top of maintenance for the bicycle, linger over dinner a little longer, listen to music in the evening, take that bike out for an extra half hour.

It’s not that I don’t enjoy TV. I do. But I’m still always glad when my shows are done. I don’t have anything to watch until. . .probably Lost in the fall. Good riddance for now, TV.

Two words.

–Cliffy

I am glad for a break, since I won’t have to worry about missing my shows while we are on vacation, but I wish I didn’t have to wait so long for some of the shows.
Lost should be back in September or October, which isn’t so bad, but I will have to wait for January to see 24 or Deadwood, which sucks.

Actually, yes, I am kind of glad. What with Alias, Lost and Desperate Housewives, this past season has been the most television I’ve watched in years, and I’m glad to have that time back for a while. I’d watch Alias every night of the week and twice on Sunday, but otherwise I don’t like being beholden to TV shows. I know that sounds silly; of course I don’t have to watch anything. But I do enjoy those shows and wouldn’t want to miss them. I just feel guilty when I watch. Does that make sense?

No, I’m on day shift until June 10th which means I have to hook up to my dialysis machine at 8:00 to make sure I’m done by 6:00 AM to get up by 6:30 to make sure I’m at work by 8.

It makes that first cycle (about 30-40 min) go much faster if I have something good to watch. When I’m on evening shift, it’s much easier because I just go to sleep when I start my first cycle and then can watch my Tivoed shows the next day.

Yeah. That’s kind of what I’m getting at.

I don’t feel guilty when I watch TV, per se because I do enjoy shows. I just sometimes wish the temptation wasn’t there.

I’m torn. After coming home from work, me and the Mrs. spend most of the evening chasing after a rambunctious 18 month old after which we usually collapse in front of the TV. So, yes it’s nice to have that time back in the evening to do something else. But we generally don’t have the energy to do anything else, and now there’s nothing on.

“I, for one, will miss my television overlords.” Actually, I call it my “televised crack”. The last of my shows ended on Wednesday, so last night at 8:00, I felt a little lost. I didn’t know what to do with myself. I started having cold sweats and the shakes. I was vomiting and my pupils were dilated. My husband had to talk me down.

No, just kidding. Our local ABC station wasn’t even showing whatever it was that was on the schedule. It was a show about where to go in the country for adventure-seeking. It was good, so we watched that. After that, I caught a King of the Hill ep and, in desperation, watched Barbershop 2 for a while (surprisingly, it was kind of okay).

I might even get back to reading. ::gasp:: :eek:

I’m glad it’s over but it’s because I work in television. It’s been a grueling season and I’m ready for some time off.

I have a lot of Bar Exam studying to do in the next two months, so as much as I like them, I won’t miss Arrested Development, Scrubs, The Office, 24, or Saturday Night Live for a while (and The Shield’s season only has a few episodes left). Looks like Justice League is the only show I watch that has a bunch of new episodes in the coming months.

Along the lines of what Licentious Ectomorph said – and I’ll add NCIS, Eyes (is it ever coming back??), The O.C., The West Wing, and Stargate SG-1 to the list. Yeah, I like me some TV. :smiley:

I don’t feel guilty at all when I watch TV, but I also don’t plan around it: I have 3 VCRs in my house, so there’s nothing I can’t tape and watch later. But it is kind of nice to not have to worry about it for a little while (“what night is it? do I care about anything that’s on tonight? where’s that blank tape?”).

Hmm, now that I think about it I probably shouldn’t have included Stargate SG-1 in that list, because the new season starts this summer…

I don’t watch much TV, and the shows I do watch I usually tape to watch at my convenience, so I can’t relate to the OP. For the sake of those shows I do watch, NO, I am not glad the season’s over. (No new Simpsonseses until November. :frowning: )

:smiley: Me, too. Yeah, I watch too much TV. But my “To Be Read” pile of books is really piling up.
And I have a class starting the middle of June and I need time for studying.

And I would also echo what Licentious Ectomorph said about feeling guilty.
And (conversely) like Misnomer, I have enough VCRs that I can tape what I want to watch and catch it later. It’ll be nice to have a break for a while.
But I will miss Lost.
Dead Zone is coming back in a couple of weeks for a summer season, though.

I did watch a whole, whole lot of tv this past season. But hey - I have plenty on my plate already for the summer. I’ll be tivo’ing Dead Zone, watching Chaotic (the TRAINWRECK that it is), Entourage, Six Feet Under, Beauty and the Geek (ok I’m going to watch it once) and maybe Rescue Me but I’m blanking on what time it’s on. I can always tape it though. So - am I happy this season is over? no - but I’m not too terribly sad cuz I"ll be occupied all summer long it looks like. :cool:

I’m completely bummed. I won’t be happy until next Fall, when I can once again watch my favorite shows like Joan of Arcadia, Judging Amy, Point Pleasant, Third Watch, North Shore, Jack and Bobby and Law & Order: Trial By Jury.

What?

God, what a bunch of freaking addicts. It’s not like you’re forced to watch a weekly slate of shows. If you don’t like the fact that you’re watching shows instead of reading or working on your bike or whatever, turn the damn thing off. It’s not like the TV’s hypnotizing you or anything. Chrissakes. I mean, I don’t think watching TV is necessarily inferior to other forms of entertainment, but I believe people should do what makes them happiest. From the sound of it, a lot of you aren’t too thrilled about the fact you’re watching so much television, to which I have to ask, why are you doing it?

I only watch about seven or so shows regularly, over half of which all fall on the same night so I only have to “set aside” one day a week for television. I’m a little bummed they’re on the off season since it’s nice to watch TV every once in awhile, but I’ll manage to do without. Plus a few of the shows I watch (Family Guy, Monk although I don’t know if I’ll be able to watch that anymore since I don’t have cable now) are on or will be on their new seasons now so new TV isn’t totally gone.

Maybe it’s just because I don’t get caught up in weekly drama shows that I can’t relate to missing a show, but really, it isn’t that hard to cut the cable, folks.

Oh, I only watch about 5 or 6 shows with any regularity, plus stuff like SNL and Conan O’Brien I tune into if I’m home on Saturday night or up late enough during the week. I get into them and enjoy them so I feel obliged to watch regularly and follow the ongoing storylines, but I won’t pine away for them during the off-season. OK, maybe just for Arrested Development.

Whoa there, Flip-out-asauras Rex.

I’m just saying. . .it’s like at the end of football season. It’s always nice to get your weekends back. If there were other things I liked doing more than watching football, I’d be doing them, but I’d have the nagging feeling, “oh, I’m missing that football game and I’m going to be pissed if it’s a good one.”

When the seasons over, I miss it, but there’s also a part of me thinking, “well, that opens up some time, gives me something different to do.”

That’s all anyone is saying.

Umm, Hal, you better sit down. We need to talk, sweetie.
:frowning:

For some of us, the prime viewing season is just starting. :wink: