Are you loyal to a particular brand of automobile?

For me, that’s not my thinking. For my last several car purchases, I’ve done my research on reliability, which is very important to me, not least because I (used to) have a long commute. I made lists of cars and test drove them. The cars I have consistently enjoyed driving are the Mazdas. So, now I know that there is a good match between the way those cars are designed and what I like in a car. When we replace the car my spouse usually drives, we may try some other options, but if things are otherwise pretty equal, we’ll probably go with a Mazda. She won’t care as long as it feels fine for her, and chances are I will like a Mazda much more than the alternatives.

Looking back, I’ve had at least:

11 Fords
8 Chevys
4 Toyotas
3 Saabs
3 Subarus
2 Mazdas (my favorite Japanese car manufacturer)
2 Dodges
and one each of Jeep, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Nissan, Chrysler and VW.

I’m 49, and I love cars and trucks. I’m sure I’m forgetting some.

Motorcycle makes I’ve owned are Honda, Harley Davidson, Suzuki, Triumph, BMW, Yamaha, Moto Guzzi and BSA. Honda leads with 8 examples over the years.

Not super brand loyal I guess. :slightly_smiling_face:

Until a few months ago I’d mistakenly thought they’d eliminated the stick on the Mazda3 as well, but then I realized they only offer it on the highest trim level. That seemed kind of odd at first, but I guess manual transmissions have transitioned from being the cheapest option on the base models to being a niche option on the high end performance models.

I also read that they’re going to offer their more powerful turbocharged engine in the Mazda3… but only with an automatic. So now I’m torn. Would I get more power and an automatic, or less power and a stick? Oh well, that’s entirely hypothetical at this point. I have no plans on getting a new car anytime soon.

I have owned more Fords than anything, and had great luck with them all.

1 MGB
1 Fiat
6 Fords
1 Mazda

I bought the Mazda new, it was 100% reliable for 150,000 miles aside from a smoking turbo problem fully paid for under warranty. I only traded it in because I was just ready for something different.

I generally drive Fords about 150,000 miles before I sell them. My 1995 F-150 has about 130,000 miles on it.

The MGB and Fiat were not at all reliable, but the MGB was $1,800 and the Fiat was $900, they were my first two cars so I didn’t expect miracles.

I’ve had a Plymouth, 3 Dodges, and 5 Fords.

Toyota cars, 4x4 trucks, Forerunners since 1980. (Wife and I have our own vehicles.)
Moved to North Idaho in 2005, needed a 4x4 6cyl. wagon, Subaru Outback was the only viable choice. It was 3 years used when we bought it, and it’s still as good as ever 15 years later. Despite our loyalty to Toyota we have to admit the Sub is the best and most “fun to drive” vehicle we’ve ever owned. 18 years old, it has needed ONE (1) repair that cost more than $300.
In 1995, needing a full size 4x4 pickup we had to settle for Ford F150, a 95 that was a P.O.S. of bad design and workmanship. Replaced it in 2010 with a used 2004 F150 that has been a great vehicle despite being trouble prone, and needing at least one very expensive repair every 2-3- years. I didn’t highlight “Ford” because I don’t feel loyal to the brand- I settle for it but don’t trust it.

No loyalty from me.

Zeroth cars: my parents had Volkswagens and Chevies when I was growing up. Based on their swearing and the time spent in the shops, not good brands.

First car: Chevy Cutlass Ciera. Constant oil leakage, stalling when stopped, poor transmission. Got it about 5 years old, lasted (in the sense that it could unreliably transport me) until it was about 15.

Second car: Ford Taurus. More reliable than the Chevy, but I bought it new. Once it turned 10, lots of things were failing in expensive ways so I donated it as junk.

Third car: Toyota Prius, bought it new. Very reliable, until it blew its head gasket when it was 7 years old. Maybe Toyota engines aren’t so reliable after all. I didn’t want to pay $4k to repair a $5k car, so I sold it.

Fourth (and current) car: Chevy Bolt, bought it new in 2017. I laughed when the sales guy said it was “Chevy quality”, and then I realized he was serious. It’s only needed new tires. No more gassy cars for me; electric is superior in every way except range and over 200 miles is good enough for me.

Future cars: I’ll look at all-electric models and get the one I like the best. Depending on how the Bolt goes, Chevy will be in the mix, but I will definitely look at other makes.

I didn’t mention these because they were from before I was born, but since you mentioned Chevies and quality, I will mention that my mom actually owned two Chevy Vegas. Yes, she was actually loyal to the Vega. The first was before I was born, purchased before she met my dad, so I have no memories of it other than having seen a few pictures of it. I have vague memories of the second as she still had it when I was in preschool. And in spite of that car’s terrible reputation, she claims she never had any serious issues with hers.

Like HeyHomie, I’ve always been a devout Toyota man (except for a brief dalliance with a Honda for a couple years). But for my latest car, I really wanted a small, tall crossover with a stick shift. And Toyota didn’t make one. So I blasphemed by purchasing a Hyundai Venue. Man, I love it! It’s only half a year old so I don’t know if it will measure up to Toyota’s reliability, but so far, so good. If only I didn’t feel so guilty for cheating on my first love.

I mostly go with what has a high rating, although I’ve owned three Jeep Wranglers: a '92, a '98 and a 2001, all hard tops. They are admittedly a lot of fun and agile rock climbers. But after the last one, the wife noted that they had nearly non-existent side impact ratings, and we bought a Honda CR-V. Then came an '06 Chrysler 300, which I loved, an '08 Saturn Vue (which I bought because it could be towed 4-down), an '11 Prius IV, and a '16 Mazda CX-5. I guess I can only really tell you what I won’t buy: Toyotas (they all hurt my back), Kias and Hyundais, although I’m guessing the quality and durability vary widely across models.

I don’t think I have brand loyalty, although all of my cars have been either Toyota or Honda (including Acura). Our two current cars are a 2009 Toyota Prius and a 2012 Acura TSX Wagon. They’re both still relatively low milage so I expect we’ll have them for a while longer.

I like wagons, so perhaps you could say I have a mild “class of car” loyalty. We rented an Audi Q3 on pre-pandemic vacation and I really liked it, which was surprising since it’s an SUV. I’m eyeing their wagon lineup. The German cars I’ve driven are slightly more fun than the Acura, although in terms of wagons it was a lot more car for the money at the time.

I may have a bit of anti-loyalty to some of the companies that have made cars that I’ve rented over the years. I remember being taken aback by the shoddiness of some Chevy interiors for example. Maybe they’re better now.

I’m old. Transition was from terribly used VW busses to used Volvo bricks to pretty new Honda minivans. I still kinda want a VW minibus again but my wife says she will kick me to death if I get one.

I’ve had two Ford Ranger pickups that I had very good experiences with. The first was an 86 that I bought used with about 100K on the clock. It was a 2WD, extended cab, XLT, manual and it gave me such great service that I bought a new 4x4 off road package equipped XLT version in 2001 and I’m still driving it with very few problems. It’s entered the old beater stage of it’s life but still running strong at 225K.
It’s skewed me towards Fords in general and Rangers in particular. They started making Rangers again a few years ago but it’s a different thing and they seem to be pretty unpopular around here judging by how few I’ve seen on the road.

I lusted after Jeep Wranglers for many years, until once I got a (four-door) Wrangler Unlimited as a loaner when my car was in the shop.

It was so damned uncomfortable. For such a big car, the driver’s area is shockingly narrow, and I was pressed tight against the seat divider on one side and the door on the other. There wasn’t even enough space for my left arm unless I opened the window and let my elbow hang out.

And the ride is so freaking rough. By the time I got down after even a short drive, I felt like my entire body had been beaten up.

In addition, the fuel efficiency isn’t great and they go for a premium price because of the coolness factor.

What a disappointment.

Admittedly, not everyone likes Wranglers. I think it’s a hate 'em or love 'em kind of thing.

I’ve always enjoyed mine, even though they were kidney busters, and horrible for long trips. Roll up windows and manual door lock, even!

And yeah–the driver side is definitely narrow. And gas mileage sucks.

But I loved 'em and still do. I do HATE the unlimiteds, though. I never liked the 4 door Wranglers.

For 40 years I drove 5 different VW, diesels with manual transmission. I cried when I had to turn back my dieselgate Passat. Like the Energizer bunny, they kept going and going. My sister still has her 21 year old diesel Jetta.

We’ve owned many major non-luxury brands - Ford, Chevy, GMC, Chrysler, VW, Datsun, Scion, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, even a couple of Porsches and an MG Midget. Most because my husband is car-crazy, always looking for a new toy. Absolutely no brand loyalty here. It’s all about value and getting what we want.

When I was a kid we were a Ford family. I got a Galaxie 500 (it was awful) and Pinto after that got stolen. The Pinto was much better than its reputation. And no one tailgated.

The only brand I’ve been loyal to was Saturn. I had an early SL2 which was a nice looking car, and it saved my wife’s life when she was driving it and got T-boned by someone running a red light. But they were over by the time I needed another one. I got a Prius next, and thought that was it, but it started falling apart after 10 years (not the battery, though) and my dealer totally screwed up a smaller battery replacement. Plus Toyota has come out against California emissions standards, so screw them.
We bought our daughter’s C RV when she moved to Europe, and my wife replaced it with a new one, so I bought an Accord. But I’m in no way loyal to Honda.

Mrs. R and I have owned a couple Chrysler Corp cars, and a Toyota Corolla, but my favorite sedan of those I’ve owned is the Suzuki Aerio I bought new in 2003. It was such a neat car, and so troublefree, that I would happily have become a Suzuki Man.

But they pulled out of the US market, and so now we seem to have become a Mazda family, having owned two Miatas in the past and having recently traded Mrs. R’s 16-year-old Suzuki Aerio (we owned two Aerios) in on a new CX-5. Our other car is a Fiat 500, but Fiat doesn’t offer any cars I’m interested in any more.

My first two cars were AMC Gremlins.

I would not recommend.

mmm