Are you loyal to a particular brand of automobile?

What, the fist one wasn’t enough, so you had to be sure with the second one?

I have driven a company car for the last 41 years. For the most part my personal vehicle was whatever cheap car I could work on myself, usually a beater pick up truck (2 Chevy, 1 Ford) that I drove very seldom. My wife has had two Chevy Blazers (1 full size and 1 S10), three Toyota Rav4s, 1 Jeep Wrangler, 1 Jeep Patriot and now has a new Cherokee.

A while back I realized that I was eventually going to retire and no longer driving a company car. I bought a 2 door Jeep Wrangler for just this reason and made sure to pay it off before retirement. (20 days from today)

My two daughters got us started with the Jeeps. They had a friend who was a salesman at a Jeep dealer
My older daughter had a succession of Grand Cherokees until her last two cars. She had a Mercury MX and now drives a Ford Explorer

My younger daughter has stayed with Jeeps and had two Wranglers and in now on her third Cherokee.

From 1973 until 1995 I was idiotically loyal to GM and/or Chrysler before I finally accepted that they produced consistently unreliable garbage. I got my first Lexus in 1995 and I’m now on third one. Comfy, reliable, and keeps me safe during deer strikes.

If you think that 4-door was uncomfortable, you should experience a pre-97 Wrangler bobtail. You had to wear a hardhat if you drove down a dirt road, as they had leaf springs instead of coil springs. You felt every single pebble. The interiors were spartan, to say the least. In '97, they changed to the coil springs and upgraded the interiors to something resembling the Cherokee line. The difference was remarkable. They also changed back to the old CJ style round headlights, which looked much better.

Well, I have to say it was better than a Jeep Liberty I almost rented once. At least I could squeeze into the Wrangler and drive it.

In the Liberty, the console between the front seats was V-shaped and it pushed my legs way to the left. It was bizarre. After driving it around the parking lot, I went right back inside the office and said I couldn’t drive it. They swapped it for a Honda, which worked out fine.

I would have said I was loyal to Honda, but my last three cars have been a Ford, Honda, and Subaru. So… I guess not?

The Ford was a lemon, and really put me off Ford, but it was also one of the first C-Max Energis produced, and I think the correct lesson to take from that experience is to wait for at least the second model-year of a car that’s significantly different from other cars in the brand’s line up.

I’m an actuary and risk averse. I spend a lot of time looking at car’s safety tests and records. I didn’t buy the Ford until it had been crash-tested, (in Europe) for instance. I’m not sure if this is still true, but for a while I was watching these things, and I noticed that when a NEW test was introduced, Honda and Ford tended to score better than Toyota and GM. I think Toyota builds carefully to the tests, and Honda has a more “build it to protect” attitude. And when Ford bought Volvo they were quite serious about acquiring some of it’s safety ideas and technology.

Of course, most cars are pretty safe these days. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is thrilled that it’s become common for car manufacturers to advertise IIHS test results.

I bought my '92 used, as I was going to post in Mali, West Africa. Paved roads are pretty sparse in that part of the world. The “street” that my house was on had huge depressions and innumerable potholes. I literally had to crawl down that street at about 5 mph in that Jeep to avoid personal injury. Sure had fun in that vehicle over there, though.

Another note on Jeeps: I rented a Grand Cherokee last year on my trip to Wisconsin and was very favorably impressed by its quiet ride and its amenities.

The second one was fancier; it had a back seat and a rear window that opened.

mmm

For many years we were a Jeep family. Mostly because they were so reliable in winter. We had numerous Wranglers - hard tops, soft tops, tops we’d replace with a bikini for summer driving. They were fun to drive, although the soft tops in the winter took a while to warm up. :cold_face: The Wranglers were usually driven by my husband and son. I drove Cherokee Sports and one Liberty. I loved both but the Cherokee was my favorite. It was also our go-to vehicle for hauling around hockey equipment. When our son started hauling his own hockey equipment around I switched to Subarus. The gas mileage was a big deciding factor and Subarus are also reliable in the winter. I’ve had a couple of Imprezas and am now driving a Crosstrek. My husband eventually traded in his Wranger for a Forester. We’ve been very happy with Subarus. My mom, aunt, niece and nephew also drive Subarus.

Over the last 47 years, my family’s had five Fords (a 1960-something Fairlane, a Galaxie station wagon, a Lincoln Town Car, an Escape and an Edge), one Mazda (Rx-4), several GM cars (Olds Cutlass, Chevy Cavalier, Buick Roadmaster, Chevy C-series pickup, Pontiac Bonneville and some nameless blue Pontiac mid-1980s turd), and two Chrysler/Dodges that I can recall - a Dodge Diplomat sedan and a Chrysler Grand Caravan minivan. One foreign make- a 1980 Datsun 210 station wagon that we inherited.

I’ve personally had a Chevy Suburban, a Ford LTD, a Ford Ranger, and a Dodge Dakota, in that order since 1991.

So no real loyalty; almost every one of those was bought used or inherited with the exception of the Fairlane, the Mazda and the Edge.

That said, the Fords and Chryslers were a hair nicer than the GM cars, although that’s likely because all the GMs were ones built in the 1970s and 1980s, and driven through the 1990s, back when GM made some sketchy cars. And despite Chrysler’s reputation for unreliability, two of the three that my family and I have had have been absolutely rock-solid- the Diplomat and the Dakota both drove past 15 years without any real issues. None of the GM cars managed that (a couple made it past 15 years, but had required some major surgery).

So I’m definitely not averse to getting more Chrysler vehicles, but I’m also not averse to Ford or any other makes, save maybe GM.

I’m most loyal to which ever brand is current in my driveway, for all that that’s worth.

Started with a Pontiac 6000 le, got a Honda Nighthawk 550 along the way to a Pontiac Phoenix hatchback (aka chevy citation) bike went, replaced breifly with a old straight 6 76 Ford Fairmont station wagon, then a 95 Ford Contour, 86 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Pontiac Omega, 86 Ford F250, Chevy S10, jeep patriot and now Jeep Commander.

Objectively, the best, most durable and reliable was the S10, followed by the Phoenix, loved loved loved driving the F250, but gas guzzling beast, yeesh!
Hated the patriot, rather liked the Grand Cherokee, given that it was a $600 ride with all that implies and really like my Jeep Commander.

The Fairmont was pretty fun to drive, and a solid ride mechanically, but no seat belts and I had 2 small kids so…

My last three vehicles have been Toyotas and I liked them. But I would be open to buying a different brand.

As a kid, we were a hardcore Chrysler family. Our first family car, acquired by my parents before I came along, was a dark blue four-door 1968 Dodge Coronet De Luxe. I believe they said they got it on the advice Consumer Reports.

We wouldn’t look at anything but Chryslers after that, but then we acquired a light blue four-door 1974 Plymouth Satellite Custom. That car gave us no end of trouble. But I still recall it as being our last “big” car. We managed to keep it long enough for me to start my first driving lessons on it many years later.

Disillusioned with Chrysler, we then got a silver-grey two-door fastback 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon. It was big enough to be a four-door, but it only had two gigantic doors. It was a pain in the ass to have to squeeze into the back seat. It was a mediocre car.

Next we got a white four-door 1982 Buick Century. Another mediocre car.

Through those General Motors years, we still looked fondly at the Chrysler models, hoping that it could reëstablish its reputation for reliability. But it never really happened.

Then we got a rose-beige four-door 1987 Toyota Corolla. And finally we had a car we fell in love with. I inherited that car for college and my first couple of real jobs. Since then our family has, with only a few deviations, stuck to Toyotas.

I personally have purchased a silver 2003 four-door Toyota Corolla, and then a 2010 hypnotic teal mica Scion XB hatchback. I love this car so much. It’s the perfect size, and so convenient. And the seats are the most comfortable I’ve ever had. It looks like a tiny car, but is so roomy inside because of its boxy shape. I was heartbroken when Toyota discontinued the Scions. I would have kept buying XBs forever.

My brother, after veering to a Mitsubishi and then a Subaru for a time, has lately been getting Priuses.

Over the years, I’ve owned mostly General Motors cars. I worked for a GM parts plant for 34 years, so there was an economic loyalty in it. I never had a Chevy truck, but I made about 50,000 taillights for them. I started with a '59 Pontiac Bonneville. There were 3 Buicks; a '63 LeSabre, an 80-something Riviera, and a nicely restored '56 Special. The three Chevys were a delightful '64 Corvair Monza, a crude-but-bulletproof '80 Chevette and a dreadful '70s Malibu Classic. I had a '70 Volvo 4-door with fabulous seats and lots of mechanical troubles. I had 3 trucks; two were GMC pickups, and one was an enormous Ford Vanette. I had daft plans to build it into a motor home. For a while, I had a Mercury Capri, which in that year was a little German-made coupe with a Ford 4-banger and a 4-speed. Fun to drive. The 2 Oldsmobiles were a '74 Delta 88 that engulfed me with luxury and an Omega that served us nicely.
Now I’m retired, and I haven’t the patience for the GM reliability factor. My wife has had a couple Scion xBs, and I moved up from a Toyota Camry to a Lexus RXF.

So to sum up, not a whole lot of brand loyalty out there. :smirk:

I’d agree, not a lot. However, one of my favourite lines was an uncle of mine who had just turned 90 when he died in 2004 (and he still owned a car when he died). He said: “I’ll never own another GM car as long as I live because the '49 Pontiac I bought new was a lemon.” I really did wonder what possible relevance 1949 would have to buying a car 50ish years later. :wink:

Gotta admire a guy who can keep a grudge to his grave. That’s commitment.

Admittedly, I’ve never owned an American Motors car, perhaps in part because the '64 Rambler classic 660 my father owned was a total POS.

I once got a speeding ticket in an AMC Pacer. I don’t know who was more surprised, me or the cop who pulled me over.

:scream: