Are you sure...Y2K

Clk on “start”, Clk on “settings”, Dbl clk on “control panel”, Dbl clk on “Regional Settings”, Clk on “Date” tab at the top of the page. (last tab on the right)
Where it says “Short date sample”, look and see if it shows a Two digit year format(“yy”) Unless you ave previously changed it (and you probably haven’t}-- it will set, incorrectly with just the two y’s.
That is because Microsoft made the 2 digit setting the default seting for Windows 95, Windows 98, and NT.
This date format selected is the date that Windows feeds ALL application software and will not roll over to to the year 2000. It will roll to the year 00.
Clk on the button across from “Short Date Style” and select either of the option that have 4 Y’s, instead of 2, ie: M/d/yyyy, instead of …m/d/yy… or mm/dd/yyyy, instead of … mm/dd/yy.
Remember 4 Y’s !!!
clk “Apply”
then clk “OK”

Ps; I know all you gurus out there already got this shit, but it’s good info to have.
~bb~

Sorry about the double post folks, I’m kinda’ new at this! I hope I’ve helped someone? ~bb~

I think we already nailed that issue to the wall…

http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001618.html

I know I’m a little slow, I just wanted to make sure my friends and you guys didn’t get hurt. Thanks for the hyper, and thanks for your input, I need all the input I can get…heh heh!

I know I’m a little slow, I just wanted to make sure my friends and you guys didn’t get hurt. Thanks for the hyper, and thanks for your input, I need all the input I can get…heh heh!

There’s a difference between display issues (your screen currently says 8/13/99 and on New Year’s Day will say 1/1/00) and info storage issues.

If you have a spreadsheet column or database field that is set to calculate a date, and your display is set to 2-digit date display, a Y2K compliant system will still be able to subtract today’s date from New Year’s Day and show 140 days, even though the display says 1/1/00 for the January date. A non-Y2K compliant system will treat 1/1/00 as 1/1/1900 or as an error; and, worse, if you add 140 days to today’s 8/13/99, it may lack the capability to store the information as Jan 1, 2000.

If you want to test your system and software for Y2K compliance, open up calendar programs, calculation-capable programs such as spreadsheets and databases, appointment minders, and word processors that let you enter a date code rather than a hand-typed string; See if you can enter 21st century dates, can subtract 20th century dates from 21st century dates, can add #days to 20th century dates that yield a 21st century result, display an appointment calendar for 21st Century months, etc. THEN change your date and time control panel to make “today” = a 21st century date; auto-enter “todays’ date” where applicable; ask for today’s calendar and see if you get the right one; etc.

Some of the worst offenders are export and import from other file formats. Try exporting spreadsheet data to plain text and reimporting it, with date fields storing 21st Century dates and see if they come back in garbled or not. (In all fairness to the programmers, I think it is reasonable to make 20th century assumptions about 2-digit year dates imported from text files, since you have to make SOME kind of assumption there and, presumably, by the time people were/are entering 21st century dates, they ought to be / should have been using 4-digit year dates for plain text!)

Designated Optional Signature at Bottom of Post