Are you wearing a mask if you go out in public?

If I got to a store, I wear a cloth mask my wife made. Most everyone else wears something too.

If I just go for a walk, I don’t wear one. There aren’t many other people out just walking around.

My mother-in-law was given a box of surgical masks (flat ones, not the N95 type). My wife and I are greatly limiting shopping trips, typically once a week for each of us. I do wear a mask, occassionaly gloves depending on what I am doing.

In order to preserve the stock we have we let it sit in the car between uses rather than discarding.

Yes. Every time. No exceptions.

And I’m astounded by the number of people in my Brooklyn neighborhood who don’t wear masks. On these narrow sidewalks, it’s simply not possible to get six feet away from others.

I’m especially angry at the joggers who run down the narrow sidewalks, maskless, breathing hard.

They’re self-absorbed trash. They should move to Michigan. They’ll fit right in with the moronic protesters there.

Yes. I have a cloth mask, with a paper liner, homemade. I wear nitrile gloves, and the mask, and I am currently fixing up a face shield (also homemade from a baby spinach package.) I have been out three times since February 14th. No more than 20 percent of the shoppers were wearing masks. Everyone at the laundromat was.

Yes, exactly.

Masks mostly protect others, not you.

I just got back from a bike ride around the Charles River Esplanade in Boston. I’d say approximately 50% of the many people I encountered were wearing some kind of mask.

No, because I don’t have one to wear, I’m not sure where/how to get one, and I’m doubtful that anything I could rig up out of materials I have at home would be any better than nothing at all. But if anyone has any suggestions…

Yes, anytime I must go indoors (rare) or near other people outdoors.

Rant: My daughter works as a cashier at a grocery store, and it infuriates me that they don’t REQUIRE every customer to wear a face covering. They’ve allowed her to be a sitting duck. Of course, the employees wear masks (homemade), but that’s not enough. She says while many customers do wear them, many don’t. For fucks sake, 7-Elevens now have racks of bandannas inside the front door. There’s no excuse not to wear something. And this is Seattle, where we’re supposed to be progressive.

Bonus rant:
It also infuriates me that people go to the store unnecessarily (or order online so someone else is put at risk). It’s one thing if you run out of food. It’s another thing to replenish your larder of organic greens with every meal or get one more pallet of TP just in case. Do without if it isn’t an actual need.

7-Elevens now have racks of bandannas inside the front door. Look around. You don’t have a cloth napkin? A paper towel? A winter scarf?

You dont have a bandanna? :dubious: Or anything similar? A balaclava?

Do you have a bandanna or two laying around? You can use that without modification - just fold in half from the far corners so you have a triangle, then place over your nose and tie off back of the head. You can also fold it over before placing on your face and now it’s double-strength, and as noted, you can add a paper liner (such as a coffee filter) in the fold. I use one per outing and then it gets washed. They’re cheap online.

At the Kroger where I shop I’m surprised by number of employees who don’t don a mask. I really wish Kroger would both require masks of the workers and of the customers. And I’m with you on the frequent trips people make for one frigging item. I only go when absolutely needed and try to get stuff for friends while I’m out as well. That’s one less person out at the stores if I can shop for them.

Kroger does, in areas where the law requires it. It is hard on the employees to make them wear masks*, so it’s difficult for Kroger to require that unilaterally. In CA it is required.

• my wife has to wear a mask, and it is hot, hard to breath, and tiring. It’s for 8 hours, not just the 20 minutes you spend shopping.

I keep a mask in my car. I stopped at the liquor store on my way home from work, and I put the mask on. Saturday morning I plan to hit the grocery store where I’ll be wearing the mask. If nothing else, it shows respect and gratitude for the people who are risking their lives so that I can have beer and deli salami.

Our home occupies a little forested mountain acreage. Maskless, we walk our woods and meadow, and go naked-faced on rare drives - I average one trip a week to pickup grocery orders (outside) and mail (inside post office), with even rarer quick-trips into hardware or drug stores. Mask and gloves go on at the P.O. and any store, even the curbside order pickups when I don’t leave the car. Anywhere I’ll be within 50 feet / 15 meters of breathing people, I’m masked.

I saw about 75% customer compliance and 100% employee masking at a Walmart last week. Even most rednecks up here seem to have the idea, except some rogue beardos and rather obvious slags. Very few cases yet in this rural county so they think they’re immune. Morons.

Hmmm, I wonder how the crackheads are doing. I’ll have to ask about that elsewhere.

I wear a mask when I go to the supermarket but not when I’m just getting the mail. The supermarket has signs saying masks are required. There’s also a worker standing by the door to make sure people have masks.

That said, on Tuesday I saw three people, all adults, who were wearing masks in the supermarket, but the masks didn’t cover their faces. Someone else must have reported this because there was a reminder over the P.A.

I made a couple of masks which don’t work very well. Yesterday I found a scarf which I made into a much better one.

You can use any fabric, cut up a t-shirt. Anything that keeps your spit out of others’ faces is at least a sign that you respect their health. Here’s a foldy one with ear straps that requires no sewing or anything:

(If you’re not a longhair like me, you may need to look for the ponytailers. If you need a few (used) PM me.

Haven’t yet - walking, biking, or to stores (infrequent.) My wife is a talented seamstress, and she made both of us very nice, lined masks. Neither of us has used them yet.

I get a kick out of it when I see people driving w/ their masks on! :wink:

I wear a mask when I go to the grocery, drugstore or if I am picking up takeout food. I’m really surprised at how few masks as I see at the grocery. I wasn’t the ONLY person wearing one today but there weren’t many of us, definitely less than 10% of both employees and customers.

My mask is a commercial mask, a good one. We had a box of them in our garage -we have EVERYTHING in our garage, it’s magical. It was an opened box, close to the expiration date and it hadn’t been properly stored. They weren’t suitable for formal donation. We handed most of them out to friends with underlying health conditions but we each kept one for ourselves. It’s an R95 not N95 but AFAICT an R95 is just an N95 with some oil resistant properties.

I haven’t been wearing one when I walk in the neighborhood. There aren’t that many other people out and about and if I see someone else nearby on the sidewalk, one of us will cross the street.

And that’s because…?