Are you wearing a mask if you go out in public?

You have a nice mask and you DON’T wear it in stores? And the clerks are forced to breathe whatever you exhale? Yet you know that you can be contagious even if asymptomatic? I hope it’s just because you haven’t been to a store since you got the mask.

Loosely that’s also my modus operandi these days. I hate the damn things and have up until recently resisted wearing one for the short trips to get to my car, pick up my mail or dump my trash around the mostly empty and open-to-the-air halls of my condo complex. But I’ve shrugged and started wearing one there as well to be a good citizen/member of the herd. I carry one but so far haven’t had to use it while at my local regional park. Thankfully it is pretty easy to socially distance there - very wide open space with mostly unobstructed views of approaching people.

I’d agree compliance is pretty spotty, but gradually ramping up as people acquire cloth masks and get more used to the idea.

No suggestions, but you’re going to have to figure it out by May 1st. Pritzker announced today it will be mandatory in public where you can’t maintain social distancing.

It’s amazing to me how it’s only been 3 weeks since I started this thread: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=893020

Back in those days, mask use by the general public was still transitioning from “don’t wear” to neutral. A few days later, it became a good practice, although being in the most COVID-infested region in the world, I referenced dirty looks when I didn’t wear one. Now, 3 weeks later, you’re practically a criminal if you don’t wear one.

Yes. I don a face covering when I take my morning and afternoon walks and when I go to the store. I had to go into the office today, and I wore it upon entering the building and riding up the elevator.

Most people I see seem to be wearing something on their face.

This video shows how to make one with a tshirt. No other supplies required.

https://twitter.com/scottgottliebmd/status/1252190275084181505

I don’t care too.

You don’t care to for a reason?
Pardon me, you don’t care too for a reason?

Nope. No bandannas (what would I normally use one for?), no baklava, no 7-Elevens. Might be able to dig up a winter scarf, but that would be awfully warm.

I actually did try cutting up an old t-shirt. I was dubious about whether having that thin rag over my face was really any better than just keeping my mouth closed whenever I went out.

That, I maybe could do. Except I’m not sure about the everything-but-the-eyes-covered look.

Same here in SoCal. I’m out for walks and bring a mask, but it’s wooded area here, so unless there’s fellow walkers, not wearing mine then, nor when driving. But everywhere else, yes!

I feel confident you own paper towels. Or a washcloth. Or a kitchen towel/dish cloth. Or a shop rag. Or a hankie. Any material you can cut a rectangle out of like a pillowcase. You’re really making this much too difficult. And if a scarf is too warm? Most place are air-conditioned.

My grocery has shields for the cashier stations now. They don’t let you touch the touch screen pad either, just insert your card, the cashier does the rest. They also have you disinfect your hands and then put on the disposable gloves they provide before they give you your wiped-down cart and let you in the store. They have a maximum number of shoppers inside and you have to wait until someone leaves before you can go in. Everyone without exception wears masks.

And I still don’t feel safe shopping.

It is mandatory and enforced here (by rent-a-thugs) in all enclosed public spaces (that are still of service) from mid March. With 2m de-socializing rule everywhere. I expect it will de-escalete from mandatory to recommended by the mid May.

Oh hell yes. Though I haven’t been out in public for I think 11 days.

I am proud of my mustache.

I don’t wear one in my car or if I’m outdoors in an area where there’s nobody else around (I’ve been hiking in wilderness areas to get out of the house).

I doubt baklava would help, but if it does, I’m onboard. :wink: (You meant balaclava, right?)

Yes, homemade cloth mask anytime I'm in contact with other people.  Like others, not alone in my car, but there are always a mask and gloves handy for when I stop for interactions.  I wear both when I stop for fuel, when I use the drive-up window at the local Dari-Mart to pick up milk/eggs or do banking, when I go pick up a grocery order.  The only face-to-face I can't avoid entirely is at my little post office due to work I do.  The post office is tiny, so always a mask and gloves there.

I keep these errands to a minimum.  I've probably run out to conduct such business a total of 5 times since February 29th.

I can hike and walk my own property for exercise and won't run into anyone while I'm doing it.

I’m honestly having trouble visualizing what you’re suggesting I do with a paper towel, washcloth, or rectangle cut out of a pillowcase. How do you get it to stick to your face?

I wear one when I go to the store. I’m not about to wear one when going for a walk because a) It’s outdoors, the best-ventilated environment there is, and experts say they’re not needed outdoors b) I stay more than 6 feet away from others and c) I walk up and downhills, and a mask would give me unbearable air hunger.

I wish people would stop wearing bandannas bandit-style. Sure, if you sneeze or cough, some of it will probably end up in the fabric, but not all of it. It’s so swift and simple to make a bandanna mask that fits better and offers better protection to others that I can’t understand why anyone still wears them bandit-style.

needscoffee, why doesn’t your daughter’s employer use clear plastic shields to protect the cashiers? An employee’s safety should never hinge solely on the habits of customers.

I was out grocery shopping today and I saw not one but two people who were wearing masks… covering their chins and lower lips. I’m sure those folks thought they were accomplishing something by that. I have no idea what they thought it was.