Are your meals possessed (language usage)?

To me, “Did you have your breakfast” implies a caretaking behaviour in the speaker, making sure you ate properly, while “Did you have breakfast” seems like a simpler request for information. I’d be inclined to respond to the first with reassurances that I ate well; to the second, just “Yes.” Seems like my particular interpretation of the affective particle.

You had to take a crap, I refused to give one.

If she’s Indian–then it could just be a regionalism, and nothing more than that (regardless of any Bengali influence).

When I’m cooking it, I’m making my dinner. As in “I have to fix my lunch now.”. When I’m eating it, “I’m eating lunch now.” Make, possessive, eat, not possessive. Weird.

If you’re cooking for yourself and others, are you cooking “our dinner”? Or just “dinner”? Or even “the dinner”?

It depends on context. If I’m talking to someone who might be eating their lunch at a different time than me, I’ll specify “my lunch”. If I’m talking to someone who is eating at the same time as me, it’s just “lunch”.

English or Spanish, though? In Spanish it seems like the possessive would be a bit awkward: “Comiste tu desayuno?” vs. “Desayunaste?”

Yeah! Funk Dat! [/obligatory beavis and butthead reference]

It depends on my/our attitude toward this particular dinner. If it’s a certain kind of food that I’ve been promising them forever and I’m finally doing it, it might be “the dinner”. If there’s no special occasion and no special food, just “dinner”. And if we all stood in the store collectively figuring out what to have, it might conceivably be “our dinner”.

Except for that one episode of Red Dwarf.

That was one of the best moments in the entire series.

Cat! No!