Area Man Points Out Onion Website Redesign

TODAY, THE INTERNET- In a lame attempt to parody a news article while directing visitors of the Straight Dope Message Board to a website, poster mobo85 wrote a lame parody of a news story pointing out that satirical newspaper The Onion, a favorite with tens of people, has redesigned their website. mobo85 did this to point out that the website was not only nice-looking, but now featured, for free, the paper’s archives up to 1996, something only paid subscribers could previously look at. While looking at a vintage 1996 article entitled “I Enjoy Being A Battery,” an editorial written by a battery, mobo85 was then shot to death by renegade forces for his lame parody skills.

Awww yeah. Just the other day, I was lamenting the fact that I may never read the old T. Herman Zweibel editorials, unless I ponied up and subscribed. And now there they are!

So, uh, do you got something to eat?

Something to eat? Must be one of those 10 percenters..

The new site looks more like a real news site, I think, which makes the “parody” aspect of it a little funnier. I didn’t realize it had all these archives now. Thanks for pointing it out!

What, they figured out new and improved ways to cram even more ads into every square inch?

Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood. Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood. Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood. Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood. Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood. Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood. Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood. Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.

I’m annoyed by all the flash. I have flash turned off by default because it stops most annoying ads. Why on earth are they using it for the sectional headings? Why not just use text?

Bah!

I was trying to remember the Onion’s equivalent of “loren ipsum etc.,” which I was going to end my article with. I did a Google search to no avail, and now, there it is. (After all, if I was shot to death, passersby would no doubt be amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood. Passersby would no doubt be amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood. Passersby would no doubt be amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood…)

As a new resident in Madison, I am enjoying the print edition of The Onion, which is freely available here. It’s much less obnoxious with advertising than the website–old or new design. Still, I’ve got to keep visiting the site for the little extras and for all those archives. And the unusually large amounts of blood.

Can I not find Savage Love in the archives because I’m a bit slow (I am) or because they’re not available? I see this week’s edition, but I’m accustomed to forgetting about it for weeks at a time and then catching up all at once.