Arkansas Gov Mike Huckabee Hates Himself But Loves Him Some Cheap Tyson Chicken

Aaaand now we’re back in crazyland. How do you go from “Tyson’s illegal hiring practices are altering the demographics of Arkansas” to “white people are going to be subjugated”? Are you sure you’re not a racist? 'Cause, damn, I’m having a hell of a time reading that any other way.

May I attempt a paraphrase? I think that what Hyperelastic may have been trying to say was actually something like this:

Now, I’m not saying that I necessarily agree with that perspective or that it accurately represents the facts of the situation, but at least it provides a respectable issue for debate without getting all tangled up in questions of racism or white nativism.

I think his joke about ending up as the minority is probably a wee exaggeration.

I also wonder who are you to decide that the ethnic mix of Arkansas is and should be under anyone’s control.

Hush up, boy. Arkansans, your betters, are speaking. Need I remind you about the TexanS in DC? (Before you say anything about that embarassing incident, note that y’all did it twice at the same time. And no, he’s not from Wyoming. His friend keeps his TX house warm for him.)
I think Hyper’s mostly upset at the corruption implied by the Guv. The immigration just happens to be the vehicle that the corruption is driving.
Even though some of you may not know, it’s a well known fact among lobbyists that The Huck has more birthdays and Christmases than most folk.

Amen, Brother.

What you wrote is very close to what I really think. I have no beef with immigrants, I just don’t think immigration on the scale implied by Huckabee’s clowning would be a good thing for this, or any, country. However, this being the Pit, I wasn’t really trying to frame a debate. I was just doing my part to give Huckabee a little more rope so he can finish the job on himself before he tries running for President.

My eyes!! My eyes!!

No! Not again!

Hyperelastic, you’re right. This is no small laughing matter.

Watching Mr. “I’m not racist because my wife is half black/half asian” White Guy get his panties in a twist over the thought that, gasp, he might become a minority with all these Latinos moving in to his fair-white with an appropriate minority of blacks and Hispanics state is laugh out loud hilarious.

Immigration is proportionally at a level that’s very similar to what it was during the turn of the 20th century and many other historical periods. Ignorant xenophobes such as yourself have long been getting themselves all bent out of shape over the arrival of the unwashed hordes of Poles, Germans, Irish, and now Latinos. Throughout it all, we’ve somehow managed to stay together as a nation and even prosper from the fresh ideas and culture brought by these immigrants, and I suspect we’ll continue to do so after the Latin “invasion” as well.

Grab a sip of water, count to ten, and tell me if you’re still freaking out that your children might have to be educated side by side with Hondurans.

You do realize that during the past 100 or so years, people have said the same thing about the Irish, Polish, Italians, and various Eastern Europeans, not to mention the Chinese, right? The idea was the influx of Catholic workers was going to destroy America’s Protestant culture.

CJ
Immigrant

In my opinion, the borders should be completely open. Or — let me state that differently — there should be no borders. Let the owners of land decide who may and who may not cross over their rivers and fields.

Does this suffice (bolding mine)?

So you want people to be punished for stuff that their ancestors did or didn’t even do and this based on their race? You want people to have negative consequences based on their race. That’s racist.

Three other things for you to consider:

1. Just because you’re not racist against Blacks or Asians doesn’t mean you’re not racist against Latinos.
  2. Not all Latino immigrants are illegal immigrants.
  3. Not all new Latino residents are from outside the United States.

I blame the immigrants of the 1600’s. :rolleyes:
What? :confused:

Could you please explain what the Arkansas state government is doing to supply “illegal aliens” to Tyson Chicken? Last I checked, it’s the Federal, not the state government of Arkansas, that’s in charge of immigration enforcement. And I check often. On a daily basis, even.

• Eva Luna, Immigration Paralegal

It may, unless one allows for the possibility of hyperbole and/or sarcasm.

What you quoted was intended as satire of a certain attitude typical of what I would call the “self-hating” white politician. It does not in any way represent my actual opinion. It obviously didn’t come off that way in the OP, but I think if you read the rest of the thread you’ll see what I am getting at.

I didn’t say the Arkansas state government is supplying the illegal aliens. I said it ensures that such a supply continues unabated. It does so by providing education, health care and other benefits to illegal aliens and their children at taxpayer expense. A state also has other options, including subsidizing the college education of illegal aliens in ways that are not available to U.S. citizens who live in other states, preventing its law enforcement officers from reporting illegal aliens or even cooperating with federal agencies responsible for enforcing immigration law, and giving official identification to illegal immigrants. Glib statements that “the federal government is responsible for immigration” notwithstanding, there is constant debate and change in what states can and cannot constitutionally do regarding immigration. Surely you are aware that state and local governments vary widely in their policies toward illegal immigrants, generally favoring the illegal immigrant in direct proportion to the influence of business and ethnic special interests on the government.

You frequently identify yourself as an immigration paralegal. Now, everyone has a right to counsel in legal proceedings in the United States, but isn’t it true that the more immigrants there are in need of legal assistance, the more money you make? I mean, the prospect of 10 million or so illegal immigrants being granted some kind of conditional or temporary legal status and therefore having to wend their way through all the various machinations of the immigration system has to look like the biggest bonanza in history to people in your field. Do you feel that you can really speak objectively on these matters? (By objectively, I mean to speak from the standpoint of what is best for the country instead of what is best for your personal financial enrichment.)

Nope - I do work visas in-house for the professional-level employees of a large corporatation. The people I am paid to assist are, practically without exception, legally present in the U.S. and highly educated, frequently at the expense of their countries of origin. (And if they’re not here legally, I generally can’t help them, anyway, unless it’s an extremely minor technical violation.) I also advise HR and recruiting staff on regulatory compliance issues involving immigration. I’ve been in this position for 8 months, and so far pretty much anyone I’ve dealt with has been extremely compliance-oriented.

Besides, it’s not like I’m paid by the piece or anything. I think you’d have a hard time using that particular basis to cast aspersions on my objectivity.

Two words: Wayne Dumond