Art imitating art in The New Yorker

Here’s the current cartoon caption contest for The New Yorker.

They know what’s going to happen, right? I mean…30% of people will submit "I wish I was taller, 30% will submit “My wife is a slut,” 20% will submit “I can’t find my receipt, my place is a sty,” 10% will be something else Seinfeld related, and maybe 10% at best will be actual submissions.

Personally, I submitted “My wife is a slut,” and I hope that’s the one that gets submitted most, and some editor at The New Yorker who has never seen Seinfeld will be confused off his rocker.

Admittedly it has been a while, but in my time I have watched a lot of Seinfeld, and I have no idea what you are talking about.

“It’s a Ziggy

Elaine writes a cartoon for the New Yorker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY-h3spBAgI

And it turns out her cartoon is just a Ziggy cartoon that got into her subconscious.

These are New Yorker readers. They’ll use the subjunctive.

–Cliffy

Ebert posted his caption to his Facebook page. He’s never won, but this one isn’t bad.

In fact he did win, a little over a year ago.

This is where I find some kind of pretence to tell everyone that I won once because no one in my life gives a shit.

That is all.

Just submitted “My wife is a slut.”
fingers crossed!

Wow phreesh, congratulations! :slight_smile:
No really, I think it’s pretty neat to win a New Yorker caption contest.

I’m only slightly ashamed to admit that’s what I submitted as well.

Five times.

GET! OUT! /Elaine Benes

That’s pretty dope, phreesh.

–Cliffy

I would have gone with “Christ, what an asshole.”

I just submitted Jerry’s:

“I got a complaint: This cartoon stinks.”

Curious: why aren’t residents of Quebec allowed to enter?

I bookmarked this and entered my first (of what I hope to be many) “captions”

No hope of getting selected, but still should be fun

Weird coincidence! I submitted, “Happy Lendervedders wife is a slut!”

They have rules about contests that are different from the rest of Canada. It’s quite standard to see “offer not valid in Quebec” if you live in another province.

“I’d like to complain about the naïve coördinated reëlection of the coöperation of Mötley Crüe.”