Art, valid or not??

Alright all ya’ll…

I am an artist, down to the bone. And I have met many people who admire this of me and many who look down on me for it.
There are many people who believe that art is a cop out. A dreamy excape from reality where you can get nothing done and will be a bum for the rest of your life.
But some think that is is necessary and magical.
I was just wondering about your opinions on the subject.

Take care. Be well. God Bless**

Can’t it be both? Just take out the ‘be a bum’ part and the statement is true, I believe.

Even those who create bad art find it both a dreamy escape from reality and necessary and magical.

What I am trying more to get at is: for example some parents shun their children if they choose art as something they wish to do with their life, thinking that it has no credit and no future. Do you agree with this??

Take care. Be well. God Bless**

Yes, I agree. Some parents do that.

Are you kidding? I work my ass off.

I’m a 3D modeler, for computer games. I work LONG hours. 36 hours is my personal record.

As a kid, my family would tell me, “Art’s a good hobby, but you’ll never make a living at it.” Now I make more money than they do. :smiley:

I was a freelancer for a long time- emphasis on the “free” part. The key is to make money, doing what you like. I can’t imagine doing anything else.

I’ve always kinda thought that wanting to be an artist is a lot like wnting to be a professional basketball player. It takes a lot of work, a lot of practice and still most of them will fail.

I know several artist and they go to craft fairs, they sell some stuff here and there but they can not live on what they do so they have other jobs that pay for their art. But I do think there are those lucky few who do manage to become successful at it.

BTW one of my favorite pasttimes is trying to come up with good definitions of confusing concepts like art.

I for one, will always be grateful to all those artists that put themselves on the line to beautify my world, entertain me, challenge me, make me think, help me better understand other people, myself, and the human condition in general.

I am less grateful to the artists who uglify my world, offend me, and cause me to temporarily despair for humanity.

But you can’t have one without the other, and of course the same artist can be both for different people.

I think some of the hardest people on artists are other artists. I remember hearing a girl in art school angrily speak of another woman we knew who was actually earning a living painting murals. “That’s not art!” because she was painting what her employers wanted her to.

I think a lot of artists also confuse the artistic impulse with artistic talent or think that talent alone is enough and neglect to pursue study and training in their area of talent.

I work about 50 hours a week and I’m now trying anxiety meds to deal with it. I am hardly a bum, and you can rest assured it is not some “dreamy escape from reality.” Try more like something I could not stop myself from doing if I tried. It’s something I’ve always done, and probably always will do. Pity on the people that have to be around and deal with me, should I ever find myself permanently unable to create.

As for my parents, they gave up on trying to influence me quite awhile ago, and worry about my siblings now for the most part.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

My parents gave me a big thumbs up while I was a kid. When I was in high school my attention started to drift from painting into the culinary direction and I began to do all the things I needed to prep myself for the Culinary Institute of America. But, things change.

You can’t force people to dream. You can’t demand that they have a talent to see the same thing you do or to be able to express themselves the same way. There are things in the world that are more important than art. You only have to turn on the news and see a 14 year old boy telling of how he changed his mind not to blow himself up along with Israeli soldiers to see that is the case. I can only imagine what it’s like for the mother. I bet she couldn’t care less what’s hanging on her wall, not that she doesn’t have the talent to appreciate it.

What carlotta said. That was really nice.

I can’t imagine a world without art and, therefore, artists. Frankly, it’s what gives me hope, provides me with inspiration, captures man’s perception and understanding of the past and is the one thing that makes me feel we might actually have a shot at the future. Be it architecture or acryllic, were our world not to have it, it’d be a pretty depressing place.

Parents want the best for their kids. As long as you know going in that the path probably won’t contain riches but conceivably might provide a great deal of personal satisfaction, hopefully they should be comfortable with your choice.