Artichokes!

How do you all cook artichokes? I usually steam them, and they’re fine steamed (quite good, in fact), but I’m interested in branching out. Any recipe recommendations, particularly ones that involve the oven? (It’s far too cold today to brave using the outdoor grill, but I’m also intrigued by the notion of grilling artichokes.)

Recommendations, anyone? My kitchen has the usual suspects, if it helps – garlic, oil, balsamic and other vinegars, lemons, parsley, etc.

An artichoke dish that is always served at holidays in my family is as follows:

Get some artichokes, and cut the sharp tips off of them. Boil them in water until they are tender.

Mix up a mixture of bread crumbs, parmesan or some other hard Italian cheese, garlic, oregano, olive oil, and salt. There’s no exact proportions – the bulk of it should be breadcrumbs, and it should have a thick paste consistency. Just play around with it until it tastes right.

Stuff the mixture between the leaves of the artichokes, and bake them until the top of the breadcrumb mixture is golden brown. Eat by removing the leaves and scraping the mixture+tender part of leaves off with your teeth. You may draw straws for who gets the heart.