Artists that are similar to Journey, Foreigner and Elton John

If someone listened to these bands in the late 70s, what other bands would a person tend to like (ie what bands are also fairly popular, along the same genre and during the same period). Although Elton John seems to be in a different Genre than the other two.

I assume Boston or Kansas would be along the same lines. Any other bands?

I was going to suggest Kansas and Boston.

REO Speedwagon, perhaps?

Styx is probably the closest fit.

Yes fills the bill quite nicely.

ELO and The Moody Blues should work for you as well.

Then there’s Supertramp.

Not the least is Rush.

And although they only had a handful of good songs, don’t overlook Triumph.

Based on those three bands, Gnoosic.com suggests:

Uriah Heep
Styx
Spin Doctors*
J.J. Cale
Al Jarreau
Alan Parsons Project
Billy Joel
Tasmin Archer*
David Knopfler
Eric Clapton
Dire Straits

I think Elton John threw it for a loop.

• Not a '70s artist/group.

Journey and Foreigner would definitely fit into the “arena rock” category, which would give you, as others have suggested:

Styx
Kansas
Boston
Triumph
REO Speedwagon

Rush and Yes (and, arguably, the Moody Blues and ELO) are really more “progressive rock”, and might not have the same appeal to a fan of Journey and Foreigner (though, of those four, Rush would probably be closest).

Elton John’s definitely in a different sub-genre of rock from the other two. I’m not sure who else I might put in the same camp as him…Gnoosic is suggesting:

Phil Collins
Bryan Adams
Billy Joel
Bon Jovi (?)
Def Leppard (???)

Collins & Joel definitely, not the other 3. I’d go with someone like Gerry Rafferty instead.

This would be a good job for Pandora.com.

I’d also throw in the Little River Band and some of Survivor’s stuff. Maybe Jethro Tull. You might also check out this Axe song to get a hint about what they’re about.

Since this was exactly the music I was into as a youth, I was just going to rattle off everything in my collection. Now I see that nearly all of the mainstays have already been mentioned more than once. FTR, I had in mind Styx, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, Boston, and Triumph. Rush, too, but yeah, not quite the same.

I might also suggest Asia (early '80’s) and Chicago. They appealed to me just like all the aforementioned artists, even though I wouldn’t necessarily classify either as the same genre.

x2

I created a Pandora station based on Foreigner, Journey, and Elton John. The first nine songs it popped (which were not by one of those three artists):

Jessie’s Girl - Rick Springfield
My Best Friend’s Girl - The Cars
Layla (unplugged) - Eric Clapton
Wrapped Around Your Finger - The Police
I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight - Cutting Crew
Keep On Loving You - REO Speedwagon
Killer Queen - Queen
Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor

The only one I thought of that I don’t see mentioned yet is Cheap Trick. And possibly Toto.

Cheap Trick, for certain. While I love Toto, I think they’re a bit more on the jazz side.

I’ll add Peter Frampton, and possibly Genesis.

Paul McCartney with Wings perhaps?

Cheap Trick
America
38 Special
Billy Squire
John Parr

…and I’ll stop there lest I fall irrecoverably into the arena rock gutter.

Sure, they have some jazz to them, but there’s usually a bit of crossover between fans of these bands. Interestingly enough, looking at last.fm, Toto ranks as #10 for most similar to Journey. (Foreigner is #4). Cheap Trick falls in at #29. (Kind of surprising for me, actually.) Most similar is obvious, but not mentioned yet: Steve Perry. Another good one we missed is Night Ranger. If you like the power ballad side of Journey, there’s also Bad English.

This thread has gone all this way without Bad Company? Most of the time I can’t tell them apart from Foreigner.