Artists That Call Out Other Artists

Reading through the thread today has reminded me that eons ago I heard that the title of “Hero Takes a Fall” by the Bangles referred to Steve Wynn of the Dream Syndicate.

I have heard (don’t quote me on this) that they used to be called Ezra, and then smoeone in the band died (possibly the lead singer.) They then vowed that they were going to be better than they were before, in honor of the dead band member, as a sort of honor for him.

Not exactly one band calling another one out, but there’s a track on Korn’s album **Follow the Leader ** called All in the Family where Jon Davis and Fred Durtz of Limp Bizkit diss each other all throughout.

Mott the Hoople by way of David Bowie in All the Young Dudes:

And my brother’s back at home
With his Beatles and his Stones
We never got if off on that revolution stuff
What a drag
Too many snags

From Liveonrelease’s song “I’m Afraid of Britney Spears”:

*I’m afraid of Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera
Backstreet Boys and N’Sync I don’t know what to think

It’s slick the way they dress
I heard they all have fake breasts
One thing I’ll do if I can
Is go on Britney’s bus and get a tan
They dance like they need a cure
Let’s get the number of their choreographer
There so worried 'bout what we’ll think
They took the time to learn to lip sync

bouv, I never heard that story, but my fandom hasn’t stretched to the point of obsession where I’ve researched the name. AFAIK, all albums have been released under the full name of Better Than Ezra.

Snooooopy, the only thing I can really offer is that they have one song called “Ezra Pound,” so perhaps they’re lamenting the poet? I don’t know the song well so I can’t offer lyrics offhand.