"As Seen On TV" Products And Their Weird Websites

Sometimes I see commercials for things that you don’t normally see on retailers’ shelves - windshield replacement, gutter protection, “miracle” cures, etc. Often they’ll have weird websites - like instead of GutterMiracle(dot)com it will be something like GutterMiracle64(dot)com. Or instead of TheInsuranceAdmiral(dot)com it’s TheInsuranceAdmiral22(dot)com.

What possible reason could there be for inserting nonsensical numbers into a website?

So they know where you saw the URL. It’s how they track the success of their marketing.

If you visit GutterMiracle64 they know you saw it in the Sunday Parade magazine. If you go to GutterMiracle21 they know you saw it during The Late Show. If you go to GutterMiracle82 they know you heard the URL on the radio.

Makes perfect sense, thanks! Ignorance fought.

It was done even before TV. Magazine ads that had mail order blanks, the address would have a “Department 24” after the street address or box number, to track the publication in which the ad was found.

… it can also automatically direct you to certain products promotion and/or enabling promo codes or discounts.

I think the previous posters got the answer right regarding infomercials. But in general, numbers in a domain name have lost all of the stigma they used to have.

It used to be that any website with numbers in the domain were almost certainly spam or scams. Nowadays, mostly because all the good letter-only domains got taken, young startups trying to save money opt for alphanumeric domain names. Like “42floors.com” or “37signals.com”.

They do the same with 800 numbers. Each station/network gets a commercial with a different 800 #, so they can track which outlets get them the most response.

When I worked at a station in Charleston, we had a local appliance store do something similar with “Ask for Mary” or “Ask for David” in their commercial. Same goal.

No cite, but I understand there is a similar reason behind the “reply in the next 10 minutes and we’ll double your order (or whatever)”. They can then determine which of their (many) ads was successful in getting you to order their crap simply by noting the time of the ad and the time you responded. It doesn’t really make a difference what time you order.

Also because the fact is that if they don’t get you to pick up the phone right away, you will probably never call.

:smack:

I 100% always believe each of those mail order companies operated out of giant office buildings where each department was a physically separate place. I can’t face the world anymore.