As you crawl into bed....

As I crawl into bed I wonder…Is there any habit you cannot kick? for instance; I MUST take off both shoes before I even begin to consider removing a sock. I tried removing a sock and shoe from the same foot once…it was VERY wrong. Anyone else have funky bedtime routines?

(aside from making sure that there are no potato bugs to gnaw your cheeks
potatobugs.com(not for the faint hearted))

I’m trying to imagine the mechanics of taking off my socks with my shoes still on…
I have a bedtime routine. Before I get in, I put on some lip balm & lotion. I get in and then put an extra pillow in front of me so I can snuggle with it. Pisses my hubby off if I’m facing him because he’s got my pillow in his back. And then (without fail) our fat cat comes up to snuggle with me.

I also cannot sleep in complete silence. Currently, we have a humidifier running in the hallway to provide white noise. In the summer, we have a small fan going.

I also leave a fan running all night to blot out noises from outside.

Must have music to sleep. I have a very hard time falling asleep if there isn’t music playing. But it either has to be the “sleep” timer or a CD, because if the music plays all night, I won’t hear my alarm (a beep-beep one) in the morning.

I too am acclimated to white noise at night. Fan in summer and humdifier in winter. It helps block out my husband’s snoring somehow. I must read before sleep, but I am getting old…

I go through this elaborate routine trying to get to sleep.

I start off on my left side, snuggling the hubby’s back. This is a sure-fire way for me to fall asleep, unless I’m seriously over-caffeinated or really anxious about something.

About the time that I start drifting off, the cat arrives. Lou marches up and down the edge of the bed until I roll over onto my back and stick my arm out. Then he paces a little more before finally curling up between my arm and my body with his head resting on my arm.

I lie like that for a while until, for some reason, it becomes uncomfortable. Then I roll over on my right side, which wakes up Lou, but he’s used to it by now. I have to leave my arm sticking out for him to rest his head on, and kind of curl around him. That’s how I usually go to sleep.

I’m really particular about sleep conditions. I usually need things extremely dark and extremely quiet for me to fall asleep. I also have a tendency to fall asleep in my pants. I change clothes the following morning when I take a shower :stuck_out_tongue:

sorry, falling asleep, reverse that

When we first got together my SO MUST have the tv on, and loud. I, on the other hand, need dead silence to sleep …though we seem to be switching because now my sleepy TV watching is starting to bother her sleep!

I have to have my long body pillow against the wall, and then on the other side of my bed, my old teddy bear and pillow person bolstered. I like to use my teddy bear as a second pillow. I like making my bed like a small little coccoon of pillows, cushions and blankets. It’s soooo cozy.

I have to read.

It doesn’t matter how exhausted I am, I have to read.

It’s the law.

(Only I didn’t read last night. Something to do with the six vodka tonics I had at the office Christmas party. So sometimes I don’t. But when I’m sober I have to.)

The fan has to be on.

Ivylad will spoon me for a bit, then we get in our Comfortable Sleepig Positions and go to sleep.

I have to read.

It doesn’t matter how exhausted I am, I have to read.

It’s the law.

(Only I didn’t read last night. Something to do with the six vodka tonics I had at the office Christmas party. So sometimes I don’t. But when I’m sober I have to.)

The fan has to be on.

Ivylad will spoon me for a bit, then we get in our Comfortable Sleeping Positions and go to sleep.

I need music. It doesn’t really matter what - obviously, quiet mellow music is best, but anything will suffice. I’ve tried using talk radio instead: doesn’t work. Barring absolute and complete exhaustion, I will lie in bed awake for hours on end if I don’t have my music.

I open the window, no matter what the weather, uncover the vent, and set my alarm clock, then climb in and turn off my bedside lamp… and sweet dreams. zzz

I take 2 Aleve and an Ambien, then I go to the bathroom. When I finally make it to my bed, I usually have to wait while Master Control refills the humidifier on my Bi-PAP machine. Then I put the Bi-PAP headgear on (though sometimes I inspect the mask first and, if it’s too grody, have MC wash it). Then MC helps me lie down and covers me up. I turn on my alarm clock as a back-up in case MC sleeps through his. As we drift off to sleep, our cat Orion sometimes joins us for cuddles. And sometimes there’s husband/wife business that I won’t go into here. :stuck_out_tongue: