Aside from World War II, why do many Chinese people hate Japan?

Virtually every discussion about “Why many Chinese people hate Japan” comes to the topic of World War II and stays there, so I wanted to leave that issue out of the discussion and ask: *Aside *from Japan’s aggression against China in WWII, what other reasons are there that many Chinese people today still hate Japan?

They are rivals for regional influence. Russia never really did anything to the U.S. but Americans hated the Russians because they were vying for influence in the world with the U.S…

Americans never hated the Russians (sic) the way the Chinese hate the Japanese or the English hate the Germans. We hated the Soviets because they enslaved their own people and ruled over many more against their will. There isnt the same hatred/fear of the new Russia.

China and Japan have had conflicts dating back to before WW2 though I suspect some of that justification are excuses. I think its mostly WW2 and most everything else is manufactured

That’s not too believable. The whole cold war animosity was over the U.S. not liking Russia (sic) enslaving it’s own people?

Well, they have been regional rivals for centuries, and have fought numerous wars (as both have fought with other regional neighbors and powers). However, I think most of the hatred from Chinese and other nations and peoples in the region towards the Japanese comes from the series of wars of conquest Japan fought in the region as part of the run up to and the main show of WWII. Japan did some truly heinous things to the Chinese (as well as a bunch of other nations/peoples), though ironically Mao at one point forgave them since he claimed without the Japanese there wouldn’t have ever been a CCP…something I think the Chinese people ALSO hate the Japanese for allowing to come to pass. :stuck_out_tongue:

Either way, it’s a powerful cultural influence. I knew a very gentle, mild mannered man who emigrated from China. He surprised me once when this topic came up by telling me how viscerally he hated the Japanese. He acknowledged that this was an illogical, emotional reaction, but that he nevertheless felt it strongly.

Japan has committed numerous atrocities against numerous countries, its not limited to China. I think a lot of the dislike comes from Japan refusing to acknowledge a lot of their wrongs and it seems just based off some things I’ve read that Japan has considered themselves superior to the other Asian countries. I believe genetically they can be traced back to a population that left Korea, yet they think for some reason they are better than Korea. Japan was especially brutal in the Rape of Nanking and also during the Japanese invasions of Korea, check out the wiki article on the ear and nose mounds or Mimizuka in Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimizuka

Note I’m obviously painting with a broad brush here, I know the Japanese are not a monolithic entity with all the same opinions, just throwing out some ideas as to why China and possibly some other Asian countries might dislike Japan.

It reminds me of the English and the French. The mainlanders don’t like the guys who moved to their own island and then tried to grab some of the continent too.

It was over the Soviets enslaving E Europe and destroying the goodwill they had built up during the war. It wasnt the people that were hated (they were powerless in the USSR), it was the Communist Party and its leaders.

Why do there have to be other reasons?

Many Chinese who lived through the war are still alive. Maybe in another generation the impact of WWII on Chinese opinions about Japan will lessen, but for now, it’s still relevant and kinda huge. My parents don’t talk about WWII all that much, but I do know that the Japanese were very unkind.

Two additional points: Communist Chinese were aligned with the Soviets while post-war Japan was aligned with America. Stalinist Communism demanded that all nations would eventually fall to Communism and developed a pretty sophisticated playbook for fueling Communist insurgencies. As a capitalist and strictly hierarchical society, Japan was destined to be destroyed by Communism. (Which also addresses CarnalK’s point)

A lot of the modern conflict in SEA revolves around economic competition and territorial disputes over various fishing zones and sea lanes. Since the world’s population is rising while fish population is dropping, don’t look for these competitions to get any easier.

World War II was a big factor. But even before that there had been a long period when China was weak and other countries had forced China to make various concessions like turning over parts of its country to foreign occupation. Japan was one of the countries which forced China to sign these one-sided treaties. China now resents all of these countries (including America) which took advantage of China when it was weak.

Ironic, considering how China acts towards it’s own neighbors these days. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are we talking about Chinese or China? They are not really the same thing.
I’m Chinese, but I have no ties to China.

I don’t think Americans, by and large, had any great concern for eastern European liberty; people in Kansas didn’t really care what happened in Bucharest or Prague. It was the fact that the Russians challenged American hegemony that was the problem. The Soviets acquiring the bomb, challenging American power in Europe and the Far East, sending missiles to Cuba, and threatening “we will bury you” all meant a lot more than any vague concern for Poles or Bulgarians.

And I seriously doubt that your average American in Kansas even knew what ‘American hegemony’ meant or whether we had it or not, and cared less. I’d say that it was mostly based on fear that the Soviets could attack and kill us, and they were obviously aggressive.

That said, I never got a large hatred vibe about the Russians during the Cold War…not on par with what the Chinese and others feel toward Japan. There was a lot of fear, and certainly some hatred, but nothing in the same league.

Yep… That vast and powerful “American hegemony” that we had in 1946… :rolleyes:

Well yeah, of course not. The Chinese and Japanese had actively engaged in savage warfare against each other. The Russian-American animosity was whipped up merely by mutual propaganda.

If you consider the Second World War to have begun, like many, in 1939 then you can look to the Second Sino-Japanese War for the hatred. It would later become part of the second world war but for 2 years China were subjected to the brutality of the Japanese Empire.

As someone has already mentioned the Rape of Nanking has had huge ramifications. 300,000 were raped and murdered with beheading competitions being common. Today there are Japanese officials that deny the event from ever happening. The lesser known but equally horrendeous crimes at Unit 731 saw the Chinese being killed by the tens of thousands through particularly disgusting methods. Again this has barely been acknowledged by the Japanese government.