Ask Maudlin Murray O'Hair (the American Atheists guy)

Okay, okay, context and better titling would have helped. But all of that’s probably been filled in now.

On preview, maybe not.

Plus, why is this thread in the Pit?

Come to think of it, why is the thread that this thread is parodying (or so I thought) in the Pit?

I don’t see this thread heading in the direction you intended, Lib. Close up and start again?

I’ve seen the linked thread and I’m still confused. What does some guy from some atheist organisation have to do with Jack Chick? Or have I missed the point completely and this is an obscure reference to coercion and/or fraud?

I haven’t noticed any comparable threads that Diogenes has started. If I had, my response would have been the same. “Huh? I don’t get it.”

Is your actual intent to run an “Ask the Atheist” thread? If so, I would follow it with interest, and perhaps contribute. This thread, however, has whooshed right by me. I’ll keep an eye open for that other thread.

Buh bye!

Dear Maudlin Murray O’Hair,

My mother in law keeps sending me emails saying that you are trying to get ‘Touched by an Angel’ taken off the air.

Why did you do such an awful thing? Don’t you know that America was founded by Christian men and women?

Why don’t you get yourself out of Hell where you are rightfully burning for all eternity and go to communist Russia?

Also, do you have any hints about how to tell my mil to stop sending me the fucking emails?

I think that it’s safe to say that Lib’s thread was not inspired by Jesus.

Libertarian is not an atheist. I can only assume his intent here is to mock atheism, and to demonstrate that Diogenes the Cynic’s thread is not amusing to him. Both of them have had better ideas.

Madalyn,

You were one mean old bitch. Are you in hell or just rotting in the ground?

SENOR

Dear Maudlin Murray O’Hair,

Is it true that the real reason you kicked up a fuss about the declaration of independence was not because of the “Under God” part, but because it did not end with “Hail Satan”?

[Parody mode on standby]Lib, my intent with the Chick thread was not to mock Christianity but to mock Jack Chick. “Bob” is clearly an idiot and a bigot who knows nothing about Christianity. Is your intent to mock atheists, per se, or only to mock a specific, aggressive, intolerant brand of atheism? (I that some people are not as familiar with this kind of atheism as they are with “Chick” brand fanatacism. Maybe some links would help clarify the kind of thought that you are parodying)[resume parody mode]

Question for the atheist:

What is your best rebuttal to Anselm’s Ontological Argument?

We’re not trying to take the show off the air. We believe in freedom of speech. As we told the show’s producers, we’re willing to meet them halfway. If they will rename the show Touched by a Psychosis, and run a continuous disclaimer in a prominent marquee, we have no problem with it.

Kal, send your MIL this Snopes link.

Down at the bottom of the page, click on the “Touched by a Hoax” box, it brings up this.

She was a kind and caring person, who was singlehandedly responsible for exterminating religious influence from our public schools. The quality of education that our inner-city children enjoy today is directly attributable to her tireless and charitable work. She died. She no longer exists.

Too easy. I am an atheist. If [nonsense reference deleted] exists, then I do not. But I do. Therefore, [nonsense reference deleted] does not.

DDG: Oh, I’ve done that. I still get sent it about 4 times a year.

Diogenes wrote:

American Atheists. One of the many gems from the site:

Perhaps a little over the top, but basically correct.

A lot of people say the same thing about Chick.

The AA paints Christians as an insidious evil force. It’s time for panic mode, they say, because Christians are on a Crusade, willing to use any means to achieve their nefarious ends. Meanwhile, they paint themselves as rational, as victims of ubiquitous oppression, as champions for reason and intellect.

I think they make a caricature of atheism, just as Chick does of Christianity.

Sorry, Lib, but I have to agree with the “doesn’t seem to be working” crowd. Diogenes’ thread is funny because Chick tracts are essentially self-parodies – their efforts to underline the seriousness of their message ends up trivializing it. Diogenes isn’t really trying to make a point, he just finds the inherent incongruity comical. You, however, are annoyed, which adds an entirely different flavour to this thread.