Ask Maudlin Murray O'Hair (the American Atheists guy)

Um, Lib, the AA have done and said some questionable things, but I hardly think that quote was one of them.

I agree. While it’s definitely over the top, I’m not sure exactly what part of that quote Lib disagrees with. If that particular quote angers you, Lib, I would point out that I have seen far worse slander against atheists in fundamentalist websites. If that quote is somehow supposed to be the antithesis of Jack Chick, I’m not really seeing it.

Okay. I reckon y’all are right. This is probably more of a Pizza Parlor thread. Sorry, everybody. I think we could have had fun with it, but hey… it’s not the hill I want to die on, as they say. :smiley:

in the beginning, Eru Iluvatar created the world, and saw that it was good. The Ainulindale tells me so.

because the Ainulindale tells me that Iluvatar exists, I shall define Iluvatar as necessary existence. I->I. Therefore, if Iluvatar exists in any possible worlds, he exists in all of them. I can imagine a world in which he exists. Therefore, he exists in this world.

to me, Iluvatar is love, because it’s obvious that love is necessary. When Rapture comes, all you smug atheists who don’t believe in my logic will vanish forever in the Void.

I do not need to further define Iluvatar, since my psychic abilities have given me insight that all you smug “scientists” lack. After all, they have been trying to prove for years that there are no such thing as psychics, but all the millions that watch John Edwards can’t be wrong!

May the Eternal Fire be with you forever.

Love,
Ludovic

Oh for crissakes, Lib, do you honestly think that Diogenes’s JACK CHICK parody is insulting to Christianity?

If ANYTHING is insulting to Christianity, it’s Jack Chick himself.

Well Lib, before this thread goes bye-bye - I really must point out that I do know the difference between the Declaration of Independence and the Pledge of Allegiance.

Ludovic! How can you claim that unbelievers will be cast into the Void? Only Melkor was cast into the void. Since Iluvatar is, as is Eä, the true Iluvatarian-Eruite (such as myself) rejects this scenario! All go before Eru, believers and unbelievers alike!

Splitter!

No, I do not think that. Why would you think I think that? Is it okay if I state my opinions myself? Or may I presume that people like This Year’s Model speak for you as well as me? Dingbat.

Guinastasia simply asked a question, Lib.

It’s okay to simply answer questions, Lib, without trying to seek out and deride motives.

I intended no offense by that, Lib. I mean, this thread is especially difficult. Was I making a simple observation, or was I parodying something? If so, what was it? Was Guin playing along with the thread? Who can tell. It’s just too confusing.

Desmo, do you honestly think that everyone besides you is that stupid?

[sub]winkie[/sub]

Well, yes, I do.

I made a couple of assumptions based on what I’ve read in your posts in the past, and on what I think I know of your online personality. Later on in the thread, one of those assumptions was corrected. I apologize for stating that your intent was to mock atheism.

Your apology is accepted. As I’ve written in the past, atheists are just like theists: some good, some not.

Dear Mr. O’Hair, I think it’s high time someone did something about renaming the days of the week. Why should we, who are rational and free-thinking, have to be subjected to the Norse Pagan proselytization inherent in the names like Thursday (Thor’s day) or Wednesday (Oden’s day)?

What are your thoughts on this outrage, and what should we change those names to?

Lib, your debating style just kills me (in the laughing way, not the literal way). It really does.

Not your ideas, not your beliefs, nothing like that. I share a lot of them, and I try to respect those that I don’t share.

But it’s like you paint a target on your chest and ask everyone to shoot at you. And you act surprised when people actually shoot at you. Then people start shooting you in the back, and you say “hey that’s not fair - you were supposed to shoot me in the chest.”

Patience, my friend. Pagan religions are not as dangerous as the [nonsense reference deleted]ian religion because nobody takes them seriously. We must take things a step at the time. If we can eliminate the [nonsense reference deleted]ians first, then we can begin in earnest to dismantle the rest of our culture.

And nonsense reference can’t exist because you do BECAUSE?

Because what I say is reasonable. Religion is the enemy of reason. My thoughts are not stained by fantasies about mythical non-corporeal creatures. I believe what I see with my eyes, hear with my ears, and touch with my hands. I am made of stars!

What if you were a rock? Why couldn’t god exist if you were a rock? If god is omnipotent, a rock existing wouldn’t stop it from being.

So then, you don’t believe that evolution exists?