Ask the (former) Bouncer

I worked a few overnights at an inner city Perkins. In my small experience, women started more shit than men.

I had a woman follow five other women into the women’s restroom and try to start a fight with the lot of them over some imaginary slight. I walked right in and kicked her out. She spent the next 10 minutes stomping around the parking lot screaming at everyone not to go inside because we were ‘racist’ for kicking her out. :rolleyes: Finally we ended up calling the police over something else and while waiting for them, I walked out and told her that as long as they were already coming, I was going to have them arrest her for trespassing. She left in a hurry.

When my best friend got a job bouncing with his brother in law, He got to witness a 5’11" 250 lb man brought down by a 4’10" 98 lb girl. His brother in law “waved” his mag-Lite at her menacingly to which she grabbed it and tried to crack his skull with it.

Bent & ruined the flashlight.

Most of the other bouncers decided he deserved it, he practically handed the thing to her after all.

Sound like any co-workers you dealt with?

Well that is one thing I had drilled into me on various Security jobs and carries over into normal life. Don’t let this public idea of “you can never hit a woman” make you think that you can never defend yourself against a woman or that you shouldn’t take them seriously as potential threats. Or you wind up like that guy, or dead.

What’s the absolute worst thing you ever saw on the job?

• I have never worked in a “black” nightclub, although the patrons of most of the clubs I worked at varied widely with respect to race, especially from club to club. I think this is really a problem of culture, both the culture that the club is promoting, and the background of the patrons. Most black jazz clubs in NOLA, for example, have no record of violence that I am aware of. Any club promoting a “Hip-Hop Night” will beef up its security big time, though. I think that cultures that are big on machismo and violence will be plagued by fights whenever men and women get together and drink. Look back at the 1920’s Argentinian culture Borges wrote about in stories like “Man on Pink Corner” - not much has changed.

With regard to the male-female question, I think that women can get a fight escalated much quicker than men, but they can also get the situation de-escalated quicker too. It all depends on what their goal is.

Did you ever work for a “Studio 54”-type place (where bouncers determined who gets in)?
Are bribes involved?

Strictly out of consideration of our latest episode with a similar theme, will you please post a video clip of you manhandling some hapless drunk so that we can verify the veracity of what you’ve previously posted?

When I managed at a popular dance club, I once had a call to go to the front door to provide “emergency assistance”. I was a bit perplexed as to what help I could possibly provide.

Upon arrival, there were two very scantily dressed, underage girls there, offering the Head doorman oral sex for admission. He was a bit concerned to even deal with them, since they were so young and he didn’t want to be accused of anything. After I told them to leave, I teased him for a while about the day the “two little girls” knocked him off his game.

The current “Nicest Bouncer Ever” is Merle Zuel at Knuckleheads in Kansas City. He’s so beloved that they have a two day charity festival in his honor every year.

• I only worked at one club where we did pat-downs, and that was for a very short time. The only thing I ever found was a pepper spray canister, which we held at the hostess’ stand and gave back at the end of the night. One of the scariest things about working at that club was working “Teen Night” (for many, many reasons). You would see a group of young men come up to the door, and when they realized they were going to be patted down, several of them would turn around and walk back to the car, then return a few minutes later.
  • I am amazed that anyone could bend a Maglite. I have seen them dropped out of third story windows, run over by cars, etc. They are tough! With the batteries in, the standard bouncer light weighs over 2 lb. The guy who got hit sounds very lucky.

I never had to deal with ineffective co-workers in that sense, but dealt with plenty of overly aggressive coworkers who seemed determined to prove a point or to fight someone by the end of the night. I’m not sure which would be worse!

• I would split the absolute worst things into three categories: fights, misogyny, and OD’s.

By far, the most awful, affecting things you see are the episodes of violence. I never saw a “good, clean fight.” Fights can be horrible and disgusting, they can be laughably absurd, they can be quick, brutal and scary. Any fight where someone inflicts serious trauma on someone else is a terrible thing to see, and hard to forget.

The worst I ever saw was between two alpha male types, a bodybuilder and an arena football player. They had gotten in a “pushy-pushy” in the club over some perceived disrespect, and had been separated. At the end of the night, the bodybuilder and his girlfriend were hanging out with the club staff for the after-closing “shift drinks” and cleanup. The head of security had actually encouraged this to keep the two men separated during the push to get everyone out of the club. After about a half hour, all the employees started to leave. The football player and his entourage had been hanging out in the parking lot across the street and in an example of spectacularly bad timing, were just getting in their Escalade to leave when the two men saw each other. Like a switch was flipped, they both got enraged again. The bodybuilder ran across the street as the football player exited his SUV and slammed the door, shouting curses. Suddenly everyone was shouting and running. I was heading over when my boss stopped me. “Not our business anymore,” he said.

I stood on the sidewalk in front of the club marquee and watched the men square off. The bodybuilder obviously knew more about fighting, since he easily stepped inside the looping punches the other guy threw, jabbed him in the face a few times, making him forget to keep his guard up, then hit him with an unprotected cross right in the temple. The football player was limp when he fell, and I remember the sound his head made when his falling body whipped it into the asphalt: “THOK!!” I remember what happened next with brutal clarity. The bodybuilder carefully hitched up his pants at the knees, knelt down beside the supine, unconscious man, and began punching him in the face repeatedly, at least 20 or 30 times, like a jackhammer. People were screaming and pulling at him, and he eventually jumped up, ran to his car and peeled out.

I made sure the manager had called 911 and went to see if the guy was alive. His friend was trying ineffectively to get him to wake up, and the crowd was screaming contradictory things about rolling him over, not moving his neck, starting CPR, etc. An off-duty paramedic stepped in and began finger-scooping huge dollops of blood and shattered teeth out of the guy’s throat and he started breathing again. All of his front teeth were spindly shards, his nose was mushed over like a wad of clay smeared onto his cheek by his ear, and his left eye socket was bulging and deformed. By far the most violent thing I have ever seen not involving weapons.

Too be fair, I tend to use MagLite generically. I do know they were very expensive back then and knowing him It was a cheap knock off.

Then again, one of his favorite way to win a fight was to let 'em chuck him in the forehead.

I’ve always wanted to ask this of a bouncer, so with all due respect, I’ll put it straight: Have you or any of your coworkers ever gotten your asses kicked? What’s the SOP if one or two guys manage to handle the entire bouncing staff? (Unlikely to ever happen, I know, but let’s assume hypotheticals.)

Also, does the establisment owner pay for your hospital bill if you’re injured? Is it considered workman’s comp?

Other than drunks or disorderly people, do you ever turn anyone away? I don’t go to nightclubs or bars, so my experience with bouncers are from TV and movies. In it, they always seem to turn down the ugly girls and single guys, and usually guys get in only if they bribe the bouncer or bring girls. This is done so that only rich guys and hot girls are in the club. I’ve always thought that was dickish. Shouldn’t clubs let anyone in? If a bunch of guys want to go in, so what?

Fascinating insight, good thread. If I might…

When it came to IDing people, did you have many people kicking off? How did you diffuse them? Were the lads or lasses more annoyed at being ID’d?

Do you agree with this breakdown of dynamics leading to violence?

• I have never gotten my ass kicked while working. I have gotten punched in the mouth, gotten my shirt torn several times, and the worst on-the-job injury I ever got was a set of several fairly deep rakes on my arm and neck from an enraged woman with sharp nails.

• Once at a strip club, a boxing club (uh-oh) was celebrating a bachelor party and after an hour or two of imbibing, some less-amicable members got into a shouting match and then apparently a bunch of old animosities flared up and suddenly 5 or 6 trained boxers were squaring off. We only had two bouncers present. I tackled the drunkest, most out-of-control fighter and dragged him outside. Meanwhile, the president of the boxing club, an older gentleman, had been sitting in the back office shooting the bull with the manager. As I was running back inside, he ran out to the floor and began what looked like a human whack-a-mole routine, screaming at a younger fighter for “ruining the party” (jab to the face), then turning to another and screaming about "this is why you never get to go out with us (slap to the face) then pirouetting to shout “You oughta know better!” at another (punch in the belly). Everyone was so dumbfounded that they pretty much stopped fighting. Amazing. He apologized, made the younger guys clean up the club, and then got them to all tip everyone extra for the trouble.

I have no idea what would have happened had he not been there - probably the police would have been called and the manager would have brought out the stun guns or his sidearm, depending on the level of violence/danger. Most clubs will have some never-used contingency plan like this in place.

That’s an awesome mental image - thanks for sharing the story, mufatango. :slight_smile:

This question is inspired by

1. The recent arrest of football star Adrian Peterson

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57468608-504083/adrian-peterson-nfl-running-back-arrested-for-resisting-arrest-at-houston-nightclub-police-say/
2) And the longer ago arrest of Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson.

http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/1503416/20050603/rush.jhtml
Whenever I hear about an athlete or musician getting arrested at a bar or club for “assaulting a police officer” or “resisting arrest,” I almost immediately assume that it happened in Texas or Florida. I also assume that what happened was, the guy in question got a little drunk and obnoxious, then got into a shoving or shouting match with a cop who happened to be moonlighting as a bouncer.

MOST ordinary bouncers, in my experience, want to avoid a fight, and many will endure a fair amount of disrespect or macho posturing, in order to avoid a real brawl. But a cop WON’T stand for much crap… and so, a guy who THOUGHT he was just cursing out a bouncer ends up face down, in cuffs, charged with assault or resisting arrest.

Long intro, but the question is… have you had many colleagues who were moonlighting cops, and what did you think of cops as bouncers?

I’ll give this ONE bump, just on the off chnace the OP still has anything to add.