Ask the guy in Eyeliner!

I’m seeing a boy who wears eyeliner. It’s good-looking on him, though from time to time I wish he’d go without so I can see his plain eyes.

I’m not a fan either - but I think that’s mostly because I truly truly hate dark eyeliner on just about everyone. I wouldn’t like it any better if you were a girl.

I’m just not fond of eyeliner, period, on virtually anyone and the darker it is, the more obtrusive it tends to be, therefore the less I like it.

I doubt I’d date a guy in eyeliner - but that’s because I’m not a fan of makeup in general.

I’d be irked if my husband started wearing makeup - although that’s as much because it already takes him three times as long to be ready to leave the house as it takes me as it is because I dislike makeup.

I don’t wear it myself (except in seriously quite formal settings, and then with a light light hand) and I don’t like it on other people generally.

Right. Johnny Depp in pirate gear is finger lickin’ good, for sure, but it’s a costume. He spends plenty of time in my spank bank, but if I saw a guy, even an uber-hot guy, in full pirate costume and makeup walking down the street, I’m not asking him out for coffee. It’s all about context.
ronin*–I don’t think it looks unattractive, but if I saw one of my friends doing this, my first thought would be sad that men are being convinced that they have to do this shit to be attractive, and my second thought would be to cross him off my mental “to do” list. It’s not the look of it that matters, but I don’t even spend much time on my “look” and the thought of dating a guy who’s prissier than I am is a complete turn-off. I think the whole metro thing is the biggest travesty to happen since… well, I’m not sure what, but I think it sucks.
Keep in mind with this opinion that I’m probably not your target market. My husband and I are both very casual kind of people. We are neat and clean and have good hygeine and wear comfortable clothes in a t-shirt and jeans kind of way, but I don’t get my nails done or have sixteen different colors of eyeshadow so… take it for what it’s worth. I think makeup is ridiculous on women, much less men.

*I hope it is ronin, I always want to mentally parse it as “ronincy berpunk”… I’m not entirely sure what a ronincy berpunk is, but there you are.

I can’t even tell from the photos that you’re wearing eyeliner. (I’m female but I never wear makeup).

Generally I like it when men wear make-up. They look much more attractive.

Not me obviously, though I’ve been using eye drops to get rid of the redness in my eyes and that has helped make my eyes less jumpy which makes it easier to apply the eyeliner.

Yeah, I only wear it in the evenings. I don’t think my dad’s customers are ready for me with eyeliner yet.

Aangelica - It’s not for everyone :).

MixieArmadillo - Yes it is Ronin. Ronin Cyberpunk. And I completely understand, as I said - this look doesn’t do it for everyone. I don’t do it because I think I have too to look pretty; I do it because I like how it makes my eyes look. You wear clothes that you think flatter you, right? Makeup has been cast as a feminine item, that’s true - but I’m 6’6" and in little danger of being mistaken for a woman so I’m not worried about it.

QuarkChild - Good! That’s what I’m trying to do with it.

I’m on the fence about it. Let me first say that I am fairly used to seeing men in makeup, as I have a degree in theatre and have a background in theatrical makeup. So I have applied makeup on many men, and also designed makeup for shows, including fantastical characters in makeup that looks great on stage as a character. I wouldn’t encourage the guys I know to wear eyeliner as an everyday thing though.

I’m all about dressing up to go out to a club or whatever, I have guy friends who would be in almost full drag when we went out clubbing. But in that case they would wear the eyeliner to really be seen, not as a natural enhancement. Does that make sense?

I think it’s the way you wear it that does not work for me. Not meaning to offend, just sharing my opinion. I can tell you have it on, but then again I tend to notice things like that more than some people. It’s not like I would be offended by you or run away, but it does not attract me. I would notice it and just think “That guy is wearing eyeliner.”

Like others have said, it’s about context. Clubbing, going out, on stage or playing in a band wouldn’t make me think twice. Everyday…it’s meh for me. Not a turn on.

I don’t think Johnny Depp should start a new movement in men in eyeliner. He is a rare man who can pull it off in a pirate setting. Celebrities get away with lots of stuff that most people can’t in the same way, they usually end up with a wannabe vibe.

I am another woman who dislikes eyeliner on men. Or any makeup, really. To me, it’s the same as a woman growing a fine moustache. Doesn’t matter how silky and well-kept the moustache is, it just isn’t going to be attractive on a woman.

That being said, I’m all for people doing what makes THEM feel good. If a woman really WANTS to sport a 'stache, then by all means. And you’ve mentioned more than once that you aren’t lacking for female attention with the make-up on, so if it makes you feel pretty, why not?

I think you’re cute with or without the eyeliner. But I do agree that a lighter color of it would work better for you.

I have alway thought of trying eyeliner, would go nice with my piercings I think. About a year ago a GF I had from this board (I miss you!) asked me if I ever thought about it. I said yes and she said she thought it would be hot. Then shortly after that we broke up. So I dont try it because she was special and was attracted to me even though I am overweight, but it didnt seem to matter.

I was going to post, but this is exactly my opinion - including the part about Johnny Depp. You are a very good looking guy but the eye liner would be a deal breaker (unless you were on stage or Johnny Depp).

I think your eyes look better with it, and don’t listen to the people saying they don’t like it on a man. A **real **man wears whatever the hell he wants, including eyeliner.

But what is that strange thing growing on your wall?

I’m gonna be painfully honest and blunt so if you’re not fully confident about your decision, stop reading => here <=.

If I saw a guy wearing eyeliner sans the girl jeans, tight shirt and the usual emo/goth get-up (not too fond of that look anyway) I would do a double take. Then probably laugh and wonder what the hell is he thinking?
In my possibly closed-minded opinion, it’s hard for people that are not especially attractive to pull off eccentric fashion choices. I’m not trying to put you down or say you’re unattractive but I don’t think you’re one of the very very few men that can wear eyeliner and get away with it. Even those that can need to match it with the garb associated with that look.
This is merely one man’s opinion and maybe I’m in the minority when I say men generally do not look attractive in eyeliner.

You missed the point entirely. It’s not that I think it makes you look femme or anything, I’m just sad that men feel like they need this kind of accoutrement to be attractive. I don’t find makeup attractive on women, and I think you look better without it, but like I said… I’m not your target audience ;).

I rather like it. It would not look good on most guys or even the majority of guys but I think you pull it off OK. And I respect that you’re willing to try it.

Velma - That’s understandable. I don’t wear it 24/7. In fact I haven’t put any on since Saturday. I don’t wear it to church. I don’t wear it when I’m working. I wear it when I’m out being social or clubbing.

Fair enough. Sorry for the confusion :slight_smile:

r4nd0mNumb3rs - Hey dude, it’s cool. You can think whatever you want. I’m not trying to start a national fad, and the truth is the longer this goes without catching on - the happier I am. I admit it’s a kind of peacocking. I think I look better with it on. And also I admit that it’s part because it DOES get me the attention. Since Johnny Depp has figured in this discussion, I’ll quote Jack Sparrow when talking to Commodore Norrington.

“Yes, but you have heard of me!”

Anaamika - Why thank you :slight_smile:

panache45 - Thanks! I didn’t open this thread for people to convince me to stop, or for me to convince others to start - I just did it to talk to people about it :).

Glory - Too bad :slight_smile:

CarlyJay - That’s definitely a part of it. When I put the eyeliner on, I’ve got a license to be odd. I went through high school being the khaki cargos & polo guy. I was always straight laced and run of the mill. Now I’m getting into better shape, I’m becoming more outgoing, I’m more comfortable around women, and I am taking improv classes. I’ve got license to be odd! And the eyeliner is like part of the costume and it makes me feel good.

Femiwhat? Yeah hon, sort of like me wearing a pantsuit and thinking I look like a guy. With my hips. Rite. I’m not the kind of gal who can pull a Victor or Victoria and you would have to do a lot more than paint two ittybitty lines under your eyes to look feminine.

Good glasses, I’m always amazed at how many people have horrid glasses. I actually liked your “glasses, no eyeliner” picture better than the one with nothing - that’s not a pot shot at your mom’s handiwork, it’s a compliment on the choice of glasses!

Ever considered trying rimmel or a lighter eyeliner? It always looks weird to me when I see someone with eyeliner darker than their lashes.

When are you going to post on the D&D board, Mr DM?