Ask the guy in Eyeliner!

Bonnie Bell eyeliner pencil will set you back 99 cents. I used the same pencil for years.

Is this eyeliner thing an everyday thing? Just a weekday thing?

(beginning your Seinfeld dialogue…)
What’s the deal with eyeliner? Who needs lines around their eyes? I’m looking for less lines around my eyes. Have you seen eyes with lines? They’d just get in the way!
(okay, I’m done now.)

ronincyberpunk seems to just be getting into it. I will generally do it just on the weekends, and then not every weekend. It used to be an everyday thing but I don’t go out as much as I used to. And during the week… Well I have to work up the motivation to put on pants, let alone makeup. :smiley:

I hear you brother. I’ve been stopped just after I’ve left my house, wearing only a sombrero.

Hey, I thought this was America!

What’d I do?

I thought we were living in America!

Oh yeah, Shai’tan, what in the hell are you doing awake? It’s asscrack-early Sunday morning!
When I read this thread, I keep hearing “She’s got the look! na-na-na-na-na she’s got the look!”
I’m way too awake for Sunday morning.

It does bring out your eyes (although I think that your eyes pop pretty well on their own, at least in the pictures).

However, I agree with kaiwik in that the black is a little heavy; it’s probably fine for on-stage wear, but perhaps a little intense for day? I was actually thinking more “medium brown” for day wear - with a light hand, no one will notice the eyeliner. They’ll just notice your eyes (which sounds like the effect you’re looking for).

Hey it’s cool, you’re not the first to dislike it (just the first to say so on the forums).

[QUOTE=I agree with DiosaBellissima. Sorry, but I don’t like it. I don’t really understand why you want to wear it. Now, in a goth/punk setting (like a club or concert) I could understand. But for just daily wear? I would be very confused by it. This would be me:

I would be very weirded out if my boyfriend wore makeup. Even though he is a musician with an emo/punk sound, I still would not be attracted to that look. It’s just not… manly. Again, very not sexy… women like men to be men, and not be be like women, you see? Like Diosa, if a straight male friend of mine showed up wearing eyeliner (and we weren’t at a goth club or something) I would ask him what the heck he was thinking.[/QUOTE]

Again, no need to apologize. Everyone’s got an opinion. :slight_smile:

I haven’t spent anything on it, my friend bought me the pencil and I’m far from running out. Consider that I draw maybe 2" with the pencil every other night of the week or so. A pencil draws something like a mile of text before running out, in theory. So my pencil’s got a bit of a life left in it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip, I’ll go looking for a pencil of it :).

Oops, well I nicely messed up that post… my bad

I would second this, especially with your coloring, if you must wear it at all. I don’t hate it, but I probably wouldn’t date you (if I were single).

I would automatically assume a guy was gay if he said this in a non-joking manner. Sorry.

If my husband decided to start wearing make-up, we would never make it out of the house. He already takes twice as long as me to get ready, and I do wear make-up. :rolleyes: So I, at least, hope this doesn’t become mainstream.

I like it. But you know what I like; I’m a weirdo.

I like a man who isn’t afraid to do what he wants, and if that involves wearing eyeliner, that’s cool. I can’t stand painting people into specific gender roles, but that’s not going to change anytime soon. But for what it’s worth, I think it’s sexy and nice.

I get all fluttery when a man has thick eyelashes that look as though he’s wearing eyeliner, even though he’s not, so I can’t see why I wouldn’t if he really is. Experiments in subtlety might be fun… juuust enough that people can’t tell for sure. But whatever floats your boat - that’s sexy to me. :cool:

I generally say it in a MOSTLY joking manner. I’m a performer and (I believe) that in that one expression I can convey:

a) That the exact wording is a joke (My tone and expression make it somewhat humorous)
b) That while it was phrased humorously, I REALLY DO think it makes me look a little more attractive.
c.) That no other explanation is really necessary.

Most people nod and accept it at that. To my knowledge it is RARE for someone to think I’m gay. But so what if they do? It shouldn’t be an insult (many gay people are assumed to be straight on a regular basis), and it’s an easy assumption to correct. I doubt if Johnny Depp was seen out wearing the eyeliner and said it “made him feel pretty” that many would assume he was gay.

The key as I stated before is to “own the look”. Make it a part of your persona.

I was still wired from work. It takes me a couple hours to wind down before bed. I usually get to bed a little before sunrise.

Yeah…what she said!

Actually, no. Johnny Depp is hot in Pirate -get up because he’s playing a character in a movie. Jack Sparrow is hot because he’s wild and manly and a pirate-- the eyeliner is just part of his costume. It’s ok in this context, because it’s pretend.

Johnny Depp is perfectly hot without the eyeliner; the pirate get up is hot because it’s a character. If Johnny weren’t in a movie and, say, on a date with me, I’d expect that he didn’t wear the eyeliner.

What do I think?

I am smitten.
I’ll do anything (I’ll do anything)
A kiss breath turpentine,
The guy in eyeliner

I am smitten
You know me (yeah, you know me)
I could be your frankenstein
The guy in eyeliner

Just kidding, not into that (man) but I can’t get that song out of my head since I saw this subject.

I am a guy and I would never have noticed you were wearing it. Looks good to me.

I have my own little vanity…I dye my goatee…I have always had a single gray spot and started using a dye to cover it…learned NOT to use black or dark colors, but stick with a light color (light brown or medium blonde)…it doesn’t stick out like one of those crappy dye jobs you sometimes see, but it washes away the gray and uneven spots and just looks more even. Have been using it for many years and when I once mentioned it to a woman friend, she actually got out a small magnifying glass and checked it out and said it looked natural to her and she would have never guessed. One package of that dye lasts me 8 months or longer and I use just a little bit.

Now, regarding wearing the silk panties…never mind…(did I say that out loud?)

Same here. Hopefully the OP isn’t a sad tomato.

I didn’t read your other thread, so I’m not sure what you’re going for, but I think it looks odd with the clothing you’re wearing in the photos. To pull it off, you need to pull the whole look together. I’m thinking spiky, punk-y hair (get some product, baby!), dark button-front shirt (or a tee over hoodie, or hoodie under dark jacket), black jeans or bondage pants, and boots or converse. Think a toned-down version of Tre Cool from Green Day. That’s a guy who can wear eyeliner!

Do you have contacts? Because wearing eye makeup with glasses just seems pointless. Though if you must wear glasses, I guess it would still work, as long as the outfit/hair is rockin’.

Like it or not, fashion is different for guys and gals. A guy wearing eyeliner is like a guy wearing a skirt; you are making a statement. Putting effort into your eyes doesn’t balance if you’re not clearly putting equivalent effort into the rest of your whole look. Same with girls (I am one); if I throw on jeans, a t-shirt and flip-flops, I’m not going to wear heavy red lipstick. Wearing eyeliner with your everyday jeans and tees doesn’t look bad, per se, but it can be off-putting, even if people can’t put their fingers on what feels “wrong.”

All that said, I do think it would be a really good “evening out” look for you, if you go the whole mile. The eyeliner does bring out your eyes, and you have a good hand with it.

…so next time you get dressed up to go out, take some full-body photos & share!

Mmmmm… nice! :slight_smile:
I love the look. Never have been able to talk my husband into letting me put any on him, the spoilsport.

Once I used a little eyeliner on a good friend before we went out partying, and he got a similar reaction. People complimented him on losing weight, getting a tan, wearing a new shirt, "just something!" I don’t know about the women, but the gay guys sounded as mystified as anyone else. This was about 25 years ago; it really was a memorable night!

I think a medium brown color works better too, except maybe with a pirate costume. :wink:

Unsolicited advice about the mascara thing mentioned briefly way up near the top of this post - just don’t. It’s really obvious - which is fine for girls, but kind of off-putting on guys.

And mascara is *such *a pain to wear with glasses if you have long lashes.

If you ever think you may want to go that route, get your eyelashes dyed. It takes maybe 15 minutes out of your day, lasts for weeks, and is guaranteed not to clump or track its way down your face over the course of the day. Also, it looks great. :smiley:

How many of you eyeliner-wearing folks also wear contact lenses? Do you find that wearing the one helps you learn to wear the other?