Ask the guy who applied to grad school

Thanks for the link. Not my field (Education, that is), but interesting to look at.

I guess my next question would be where is the OP getting a degree?

I’ve lived part of my life in DC, and there was a minor scandal, now many years ago, where a city principal was collecting an additional 10K-or-something/yr based on a degree mill Ph.D.

But I’ve also know educators who have advanced degrees from legitimate institutions and who were very invested in bettering education for students, so great for the OP if this is the case and not a paycheck grab (Sorry, I’m cynical by nature and profession,and potentially apologize in advance.)

Umass-Boston. A legit college.

Legit indeed. Though the architecture on that campus seems very… utilitarian… to me. Did the ambiance of the campus affect your decision about where to apply?

No. It was mostly a financial/where I can get in decision.

Luckily UMass is also a decent school. :smiley:

What part of Metro Boston are you in?

Have you any thoughts about the new common core? Thankfully, my youngest will just miss having it implemented, but I know it’s quite controversial.

Not totally familiar with it. However, IMO all 12th graders should graduate HS with a similar educational frame of reference. Standardized testing is the most efficient way to assure this.

That’s not what common core is. Most states, especially after NCLB legislation, have standardized testing. Common core is different and highly controversial and affects all public school educators and students.

Yeah, I’m a little surprised that you could be close enough to finishing your BA that you’re applying for grad school and aren’t aware of it. I would hope that any grad school interview for education would include at least one question on current (incoming and outgoing) legislation impacting the field.

Given your stated history of suicidal behaviour, trolling, abuse of email priviledges and other self harming acts, do you think you’re a good influence to be in charge of children?

MOD NOTE:
People can stop reporting this post. There’s nothing accusatory here – etv78 has indeed admitted to doing these things.

Hal Briston – MPSIMS Moderator

Afraid they’ll teach him some new tricks? :smiley:

Do you understand how intensely fucked you now are?

-Smeghead, year six PhD student

UMass’s website looks like they have a ton of different MEd programs, which one are you applying for?

How so Smeg? Btw, I’m 36, been awhile since I finished HS. Cinnamon, my mental health has greatly improved in recent years, so I believe I can be a positive influence. If you disagree, feel free to stay out of threads I start/participate in.

Um, I suspect, since he indicated that he’s an advanced grad student (probably in education getting his 6th year degree), that grad school kinda sucks you in and you’re “done for”.

That’s my take. Could be wrong.

That’s what I figured. :smiley: My program is 2 years, the last semester is student teaching.

FTR, people can stop reporting this post. There’s nothing accusatory here – etv78 has indeed admitted to doing these things.

Hal Briston – MPSIMS Moderator

FTR I didn’t report the post. I’m ignoring it because DFTT.

Glad to hear it and I’m impressed by your maturity in continuing to participate in this thread.

In the spirit of the OP - congratulations on your upcoming graduation, and did you decide who to invite?

However, accusing another poster of trolling, is, sadly against the rules.