Ask the Newbie Politician

I’ve carefully read the election laws (and advised others when called upon by our local elections officials) and I don’t see anything even closely applicable? What are you suggesting, Quartz?

If Reloy3 becomes a real elected politician, does that mean we can say rude things about him outside the pit?

What are you going to do to advance local self-reliance in your disctrict?

Do you get any choice in who you are going to prosecute? Or are you always acting as the agent of the county government, and you give advice but take orders?

Will you be allowed to lobby for or request changes to laws?

Do you get a free library card/transit pass/parking space/chauffered car/other access to county resources usable outside your actual workplace? Do you get insurance or employee discounts somewhere?

Do you get to wear Men in Black sunglasses and drive a turbo-boosted Ford Fairlane? :smiley:

The main thing our county needs from a law enforcement angle is a juvenile detention center. Although we make every effort to find alternatives to juvenile detention, sometimes it is unavoidable. Right now we have to send juveniles over 250 miles, sometimes in the middle of winter, to a holding facility. It is expensive, dangerous, and contrary to rehabilitation.

We also need better and more cooperation between our sheriff’s office and some of the town police. Things are getting better, but there is still some tension.

I also want to foster greater regional cooperation. We have started to create a multi-jurisdictional major crime investigation team. I also want to create more and stronger mutual support agreements with other counties and states.

A little bit of both. Who and what to prosecute will be completely in my control. (except federal and town offenses). I intend to put an emphasis on domestic violence cases and a rash of sexual offenses against children. I don’t anticipate a major change in who or what to prosecute from my current (soon to be ex) boss. He has been pretty reasonable.

In my role as legal representative of the county, I act in a more traditional role. I can advise and persuade, but the County Commissioners are the boss. What they say (as long as it is legal and ethical), at the end of the day, goes.

Legally I have the same right as any other citizen, but am probably going to be listened to a little more because of my job. I already have some experience successfully recommending (and requesting the death of) some proposed legislation, and have some ideas for the future.

I get insurance and retirement benefits like all county employees, and if I’m on official business, I can request a county vehicle (though no one in our office has ever done so in recent memory). I get a county cell phone as I am kind of always on call. Other than that, nothing but a paycheck.

Nope, and I really would look dorky, being a slightly portly balding middle aged guy.

Thanks for your questions. Be sure to vote November 7th.

I do believe Sunspace, being a fellow Canadian, will not be taking part in your election–unless he has some dual citizenship I don’t know about. :wink:

What’ve your campaign experiences been like so far?

I have lawyers from SS&D appear before me now and then these days. It’s a good firm, from what I’ve seen. Did you like it there?

Lots of hard work. I’m campaigning on a very limited budget, and I’m spending all my time making signs and asking for favors. (“Can I put a sign on your land?” “Can I come and shake hands at the senior citizen’s center?” etc.) I’m getting a lot of help from my family.

Sometimes I think I’m not cut out for politics. I don’t know if I have a thick enouogh skin. I didn’t think it would effect me, but when I find out someone I have known for years is supporting one of my opponents, it kind of hurts. I’m getting over it, though.

I hated it with the red hot passion of a thousand suns. It wasn’t SS&D, though, it was the “big firm life”. As a low-level attorney flunky, I hated the mind numbing work, the emphasis on billable hours, the lack of in-court experience, etc. I will say though, that if you are going into a “big firm” SS&D was one of the best, if not the best, of the lot. My impression is that SS&D does the best anyone can do with the realities of Big Firm economics. I still have good friends there.

I think you’re missing a very important opportunity to reach some voters. I’ve worked on political campaigns in rural areas. The web can reach many voters who would otherwise not get much of your message. There may be fewer voters with internet access, but it will be a good way to reach them, especially if you put the website prominently on any literature and signs you use. Just amke sure your website has a clean look, without any flash or huge gifs that will keep it from loading quickly. Assume a 56K dial-up.

Your signs will most likely just be your name, the office title, and web address, but if you want to put a short slogan on them, you should use a phrase with the word “proven,” to emphasize you experience. Just be careful it soesn’t sound like an antacid commercial.

I’m not suggesting anything; I’m just asking the question.

Upon reflection, my responsive question came off a little harsh, and it certainly wasn’t intended that way. I should have phrased it more like “Just so I can be careful, what prohibition or law might you be concerned about?” Thank you for your concern.

p.s. am I sounding like a politician yet?

DOn’t forget to include “I’m sorry if anyone was offended.”

Mistakes were made. Regretable, regretable mistakes.

Do you have endorsements yet? Are you working on that?

Thanks for your replies, Reloy3.

Regrettably, any substantial support I might give you is probably illegal, what with me being an unwashed foreigner and all (from your viewpoint). And I am unable to vote in your election.

But kudos for ‘coming out’ on the SDMB! I’m sure we can tighten up those debating skills*. I suggest training marathons in the Pit. :slight_smile:

[sub]* And it would be so cool to see a politician demand a cite, valid data and/or valid reasoning from an opponent in open debate… :D[/sub]

So, Reloy3… didja win? Tell us how the campaign went. The more details, the better!

What will you do about the war?

Good Luck!
been there, done that (except for school board).
Best advice: That first door is the hardest. Driving to an area, parking and getting out and knocking on the first door-no matter how many times I do it, it is still hard. BUT-I have learned that by the 3rd door, the rthym returns and it is easy.

Each community is different for local campaigns. We have yard signs-but there are a few vacant lots around town that just have to have your sign. Everyone’s sign. You aren’t really in the race until you put up your sign there. I am told that up Mass. way the sign dancers are the thing. Each one puts a sign on the longest pole they can manage and stands out in the median waving away. Must make for interesting conversation-my stick is longer than your stick! :slight_smile:

Let us know what the traditions are for local campaigning in your area.

I’m guessing someone didn’t notice this is a zombie thread.

I remember it from last year, and find the name of at least one poster who doesn’t seem to be with us any more.

Reloy3 - What is an Otter Pop?

Brendon Small
(yes, it’s a zombie, but that will eat at my brain forever if I don’t ask)