Ask the person who calls people--telephone surveys

I personally will take the number off the list in such a case, and I believe that most other people will as well.

I’m very sorry, sir–I’ll call you a taxicab right away.
:smiley:

Based on personal experience and a small amount of cursory research, it seems that most survey companies act the same way. Not interested in doing the survey? Too bad–do it anyway or be bugged until that particular project ends.

This particular company starts you out at $8/hour. Considering the type of work, it’s my opinion that anything above minimum wage is relatively awesome.

Your last point first–
I personally consider this type of job to be several rungs up from telemarketing (which is something that I would be extremely reluctant to do). All in all, I’m satisfied with my job. Plus, I’ve never been one to really care what other people think. So your comment doesn’t bother me at all.

As far as “secret wording” goes–regardless of the type of company, either “Take me off your list” or “Put me on your Do Not Call list” will usually work. Some companies simply have a list of people to call, and if you’re not on the list, you won’t get called. Other companies have an internal Do Not Call list, and they call everybody who’s not on it.

We “grunts” are given very little information about how the company gets the numbers that we call. For a few surveys, we’re actually told that it’s random dialing. For some surveys, I’m fairly certain that we simply get lists of registered voters. But for the most part, we’re not directly told where the numbers come from.

At my company, at least, it doesn’t matter whether you answer or not. We’ll simply keep calling until the project ends. We have the ability to see how many times we’ve called a particular number, and I’ve seen cases where the answering machine has picked up 5 or 6 times.