Ask the person who just got her body composition and metabolism tested

I just spent the morning in a Bod Pod and then got strapped to a mask to test my resting metabolic rate at a local gym. I’ve been trying to lose weight, and I wanted to see how close the generic internet calculators (and my electric impedance scale) are to the real deal. I had been estimating my RMR at about 1800, but it turns out it’s actually at nearly 2000. The internet calculators are nowhere near my actual body fat, but my scale was nearly perfect–apparently having a smaller waist than average for your size will throw off body fat calculations based on measurement. I was only about six pounds off on calculating my lean body mass based on what my scale said, which is pretty close considering what I weigh.

The woman who ran the tests said that I have a higher metabolism than average, and I should actually eat about 200 more calories than I have been in order to lose more weight, more if I work out. I’ve been on a minor weight plateau, so I’ll give eating more a shot–it’ll be tough, as I pretty much only eat meat, eggs, vegetables, and the very occasional cheese. I find it hard to get above 1800 calories on my diet, and they wanted me eating about 1975.

All in all, I found it a very interesting and enlightening experience. Any questions?

Ooh, I’ve been wanting to do this forever. I had no idea they could calculate your RMR! Did you wear a swimsuit? Was it awkward? How long did it take?

The “internets” and all the “pros” tell me I’m eating far too little to lose weight. They all tell me that I will go into “starvation mode” because I eat so little. I eat 900-1200 calories a day and I run 6.25 miles a day minimum (Thursday is double digit Thursday and I always do 10mi). The only caveat is that I eat out Friday and I drink Friday + Saturday nights. Yet, I still lose 3-5lbs a week. :dubious:

Are you a very tiny person? I ask because 900-1200 is dangerously low for caloric intake. Of course you are losing weight - probably your muscle wasting away. You don’t indicate that you’re doing strength training, which is important to prevent muscle loss, but of course it’s unlikely you’re going to be able to maintain a strength training regimen at 1200 calories a day. (She speaks from experience.)

This was me at the beginning of my eating disorder. I dropped a lot of weight too, really fast. It was not a good thing.

I’ve had my RMR tested before too, but I was strapped to a machine that analysed my heart rate and breathing. I had to wear this thing over my face and lie still for 10 minutes. My RMR was about 1450.

I’m not strength training until I hit 200lbs which is on schedule for the first week in June. I was 270 when I started and now at 226. Right now all I care about is seeing the weight drop. When I hit 200 my goal weight loss per week will be 2lbs while allowing for some muscle to be build. I will, also, be upping my caloric intake when I begin to strength train. Not exactly sure by how much yet but it will likely be 1500-1800 per day. 6.25 miles + whatever weights I do a day.

How much did it cost?

I wore a bra and panties for the BodPod–for the RMR testing, I was fully clothed, just wore a mask over my nose and mouth. The BodPod is quick–two scans, each less than a minute long, with maybe a ten second break to let air into the pod in between. The worst part about it is that it’s kinda cold. They had it behind a curtained-off area, so nobody could see me in there. For the RMR testing, it was in a nice peaceful room on a very comfy table, almost like a massage table. You lie down, and they strap a mask onto you that measures your respirations. That test takes about 20 minutes. Including time to undress, dress, go from one test to another, and then print out and discuss the results, I was there for almost exactly an hour.

The BodPod was $25, although they have package deals where you can buy 6 or 12, split them with a friend or partner if you want, and they’re cheaper. The RMR testing was $70, and the mask (which is reusable, and they said if my husband wants to come it’s fine if he uses it) was another $50. They also do VO2 max/submax testing, which is for athletes, so I wasn’t too interested in that. Maybe if I start running again someday.