Astronaut Sally Ride has Died

She was 61, still quite young and she died of pancreatic cancer. She was the first American woman in space.

Sad.

Very sad. She was a huge hero of mine. I was raised that I could do anything, regardless of my gender. When I got out into the real world, I found that many people didn’t agree with this. She was one of people who showed me what was possible.

*Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air…

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent lifting mind I have trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

• Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.*

• John Gillespie Magee, Jr. 1941
    RIP, Sally. You made it more than just a boy’s dream.

This is sad. :frowning: When I was a little kid I though her and Sally Field were the same person. :o

Wow, for some reason I thought she was one of the astronauts who blew up in the challenger back in the 80s…

You’re thinking of Christa McAuliffe.

Sally took that last great Ride into heaven.

She was a pioneer for women. R.I.P.

I had a poster of her in my room. She was the coolest. :frowning:
Fuck you, pancreatic cancer.

Why do all the cool people have to die young?

I remember her being in an education ad when I was a kid. A little girl was racking her head on a pop quiz, and the 1st question was “Who was the first American woman in space?”

And in the desk in front of her, wearing mission suit and all, was Sally, pointing to her nametag and smiling.

Cool lady. God bless her, and the shuttle she rode in on!

A true American hero, lost too soon. RIP Sally.

:frowning:

Or maybe Judith Resnik.

Ride, Sally Ride, ride.

I’m very sorry to hear that. I met Dr. Ride several times when I worked at UCSD some years ago. She was always businesslike but pleasant to talk with and clearly a most intelligent person. It took a lot of guts to ride that shuttle into orbit and back and she had them. RIP Dr. Ride.

:frowning:

I think I remember that commercial. I was a huge space nerd as a kid and crushed on her hard. It always bugged me that the Soviets did this so long ago (I want to say Valentina Tereshkova was in space by '63) and we hadn’t until '83.

I had no idea she was ill. Very sad to hear this news. She was an American hero and seemed to accept her role model status will considerable grace. RIP Dr. Ride!

Was it this Office Depot Commercial? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2WtUnmBEcM

It was a bit frustrating, but I take some pride in knowing Sally Ride was a real, fully-trained astronaut. Not a paratrooper who took a crash course.

The mother of my daughter’s friend just died of pancreatic cancer, and she’s much younger than Dr. Ride. It’s a cruel and swift affliction. I understand Ride only had it 17 months.

One of my mentors died of pancreatic cancer in 2009. Six weeks from diagnosis (noticed by stomach pain) to death.

I remember the People magazine cover from the early 80s. The title read “Oh, What a Ride!.” What a ride, indeed!