Atheist: Any quotes from the bible you firmly believe in?

It’s also what Noah said to the beasts emerging from the Ark. But the snakes replied: We can’t multiply; we’re adders!
So Noah built them a log table.¨

(Old math joke:))

“Do not remove this Bible from the hotel room.” – Gideons

I had an English teacher who told us she a bible from a hotel room once. For another teacher. IIRC, it had a side-by-side layout with English on one side and French on the other and she could not find one like it in the local shops and thought other teacher would like it. Then she wrote a letter apologizing for taking it and got a “that’s okay; we want people to read them” type response. I would assume she wrote to the hotel rather than whoever published the book, but don’t really remember. Anyone else think it’s odd she told her class that story?

As a lifelong unbeliever, there aren’t many Bible quotes I even know. Or maybe I do know them, but I don’t know they’re from the Bible.

“Jesus wept” is a handy swear around my Southern Baptist in-laws, though.

My main issue with this board is that there’s always another poster who got to the Orwell quote before I could. :mad: :wink:

Taken as a honor!

I admire nearly all of the Sermon on the Mount. I wish that Christianity embraced that, Christ’s own declaration of morality, as their foundation.

“The meek shall inherit the earth” made for a nice line in a song.

But what about the cheesemakers?

The Gideon Society doesn’t mind if you take home the bible from your hotel room. They are used to replacing many copies every year.

I’m Christian but I’m surprised none of the Ten Commandments have come up yet. (Thou shalt not murder, for example.)

" Don’t be a dick"
-Godboyghost

The ten commandments, including not taking God’s name in vain and honoring the sabbath.

Man, you should have waited until Saturday to post this!

Jesus said it’s not really about doing absolutely nothing on sabbath day, but how you actually spend it.

Ezekiel 23:20:
She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose semen was like that of horses.

So true. So true.

“Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” – 2 Kings, 2:23. And then two she-bears come out of the forest and rip the shit out of you.

“Media vita in morte sumus” I like a lot, and try to work into everyday conversation.

And EVERYONE likes the Golden Rule!

Amazing Jesus

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, so people can improve each other.

Matthew 6:19-21
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
The last one isn’t quite right, but it kinda fits if I squint. I tend to think the problem is less individual people and more institutions and power structures. It does no good to replace a so called bad person with a good person if the framework endures. One could consider that an amoral demon of sorts.

The best one of all may be one that you have already quoted. Namely: “You reap what you sow”.

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” is also quite excellent because it almost always seems to come true … eventually! I mean to say, that as you do unto others, they will almost certainly do back unto you.

An alternate way to express this may be something like … “No one gets out of here unscathed.”.

By the way, nice thread! I congratulate you on a very fine choice of a thread.