ATHF is gone

Sealab can be uneven, but when it’s on it’s really on. “I, Robot”, “All That Jazz”, “Waking Quinn”, and “Swimming in Oblivian” are classic television.

-That Sealab show is funny.
-Only sometimes.

vibrotronica, I and the show’s writers agree with you :).

I just saw the “Sealab 2020” epsiode last night for the first time–a straight-faced remake of the original series episode “Collision of the Aquarius” with the voice actors from the current series. In a way, it was the most bizzare episode I’ve seen yet.

I always thought the opposite.

I love SeaLab. It’s abso-freaking-lutely hilarious 80% of the time but I admit the other 20% is a trainwreck.

Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference. Anybody see the “Uh-oh!” episode? I couldn’t tell whether to roll my eyes or roll on the floor. Actually, I did quite a bit of both.

Yeah, I saw that episode. I was halfway between sleep and awake, and that came on and I drifted in and out thinking, “gawd, when’s it going to get funny? this is weird…<snore>…jesus, is this still on? what is wrong with SeaLab? this episode blows…<snore>…”

BEBOP COLA GOOOOOOOOD.

ahem.

To be fair, one from ATHF, too.

“If I woke up looking like that, I’d run toward the nearest living thing and kill it” - Master Shake

Ahh, 7211 (that was the 2021 title). After watching it for about a minute I kind of guessed that’s what they were doing, a straight voice overdub of an original 2020 episode. You could tell by how grainy and traditional the animation looked (2021 is all done on computers with just the cheesey backgrounds and occasional bit of cut-scene cel work shown).

Ya know, as much as I love & respect the Williams Street people I really, really hate it when they do these little head-trip, total inside joke episodes. They did this back during SpaceGhost. They had the whole cast & crew’s mothers do a voiceover commentary over an old show on Mother’s Day.

Because the problem with that one, and the 7211 Sealab episode, is they aren’t funny! They aren’t ha-ha funny, they aren’t ironic funny, they aren’t conceptual funny, they aren’t change-of-pace funny. They’re just not funny at all (and not worth watching). I don’t know if they were short an episode, or if they were mad at CN and retaliated by pawning these off on them but whatever the reason, the episode 7211 is, to me, completely pointless. Its literally as dull and dreadful as the original 2020 show (because 99% of it is the original 2020 show!)

Don’t mean to go off on a rant here, but this Sealab episode (7211) pissed me off because a few months ago when I was on vacation I wanted to show Adult Swim to my older brother because, even though I know its not something he would ever discover on his own, it is something he would really like if he watched.

And guess what episode was on that night?! :mad:

I was sitting there trying to explain, “No really, this show is normally really really funny! Its, they, I, oh nevermind…”

Adult Swim is notorious for the mind-fuck. I remember when they showed the finale to Big O, and they had the first 3 minutes as a RERUN. I kept watching because I was just so puzzled as to why they would have the gall to show a rerun when they’ve been hyping a finale that was DELAYED for like 1 or 2 weeks. Well, as I was saying, 3 minutes into the ‘rerun’ they say “Just kidding!” and show the episode.

People on the messageboards were PISSED. A lot of people were so angry that a ‘rerun’ was airing, they changed the channel, turned off the TV/ etc and missed the finale entirely. Pretty viscious if you ask me :wink:

Some Sealab eps are kind of tedious, like they came up with a premise but then needed to fill in the other 12 minutes when that idea ran its course :slight_smile: The Bizarro episode is a good example- funny concept, but they just DRAGGED it out with them saying “Bizarro!” a hojillion times.

Adult Swim is great in a lot of ways.

It kind of pisses me off that the new Family Guy is going to go to Fox. Fox is the network that was stupid enough to cancel an emmy winning show for virtually no reason.

CN in large part is responsible for the resurrection of Family Guy and it sucks they don’t get any of the profits from that.

But, business is business.

Anyways, some of the new animation I’ve seen on cartoon network really blows the socks off anything mainstream (Flintstones, Simpsons, King of the Hill et cetra.)

And I think we’re finally going to start seeing a really cool “adult oriented” animation appear that is exclusively American.

Back when I first saw Japanese Animation (Anime) I liked that it used the cool artistry that is animation but themed it so that adults could enjoy the story. Now unfortunately I dislike 99% of the anime I’ve seen, maybe it’s because of cultural differences or the story is just bad, I don’t know.

It’s been a very long time since animation designed for adults has had any play in the United States.

Loony Toons was really the last time we had any and the original Loony Tunes (the newer ones were more oriented for children) were animated many many decades ago.