Atlantean language (calling all linguists)

I mean Disney’s conlang version of Atlantean.

None other than Marc Okrand of Klingon language fame was the inventor of Atlantean for the movie. I’d like to learn how to speak it. Does anyone know of anyplace where the vocabulary and grammar are available? I looked at the movie website but all they have is a downloadable font for the alphabet.

Found this news release:

So maybe Okrand will be as forthcoming about teaching folks Atlantean as he was with Klingon. So it’s based on Indo-European? They suggested as much in the movie dialogue (something about “sharing common roots”). Let me have a close look at it and I’ll find those roots!

Whatever the merits or demerits of Disney’s movie, as a linguist I gotta love it. The first story with a linguist as action-adventure hero since … uh, since C. S. Lewis’s Out of the Silent Planet.

Yes is “tig,” no is “kwam,” and hello is “supak.”

According to http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2001-05/25/10.00.film

Anybody know any more words? (Besides “toke”, I mean.) :wink:

Rent Stargate sometime. Read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

-fh

Not exactly action hero, but The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell has a linguist as the main character. It’s an interesting book.

Thanks for the tips, hazel-rah and dylan_73. I’ll check 'em out.

So … does anyone have any idea about the OP?

and of course, Omnilingual from H. Beam Piper is a classic short stories that also happens to star a linguist as the heroine.

I’d like to learn Klingon. Where can i learn that? My 8th grade science teacher had a poster of klingon vocab in his room, which i thought was interesting, but i want to learn the language. I think it would be fun to cuss out ditzy cheerleaders in klingon.

Klingon? Try http://www.kli.org/. More than you’ll ever want to know… :slight_smile:

<slight highjack>

Just want to say nice choice of username Hazel-rah just caught it now, great book.

</slight highjack>

Okay move along nothing to see here.

Without a doubt, one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Kurt Russel was too apathetic (“Give me the gun, kid. You’ll kill yourself. Have a cigarette instead.”), the story plodded along like a snail OD’ing on kaopectate, and I could go on, but I’m so overcome thinking about this piece of shit movie that I need to go lay down and have Supergirlfriend bring me a beer.

Superdude, maybe it wasn’t the best movie, but it wasn’t that awful. And one of the two leading men was a linguist, which is rare for an action movie and he got the girl!

Thanks for the hijack, DJScherr, be on the lookout for Fiver and Marlitharn : )

-fh

I have to agree with Superdude, Stargate was a complete disappointment.

However, it is mentionable in that it is one of the few movies in which the TV show spinoff (Stargate SG-1) is much more entertaining than the original movie.